Jon and Ser Arthur Dayne

Samwell_Tarly

When Jon leaves for Eastwatch, he says to Daenerys 'I wish you good fortune in the wars to come', this exact line was said by Ser Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy.

It was a strange thing for Arthur to say to Ned, he almost knew he was going to die. 

Jon has said it to Daenerys to wish her good luck between her and Cersei, but it was also like he wasn't going to come back from where he was going. 

Not sure what it could fully mean and why it was referenced here I'd like to hear if anyone else picked up on it and their thoughts?

Mance Rayder also said this to Stannis before Stannis had him burned, and I am pretty sure it has popped up in a few other places.  I think it is just an oft repeated line like "words are wind" and doesn't have any significant impact other than to remind the audience that a great war is on the horizon.

10 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

When Jon leaves for Eastwatch, he says to Daenerys 'I wish you good fortune in the wars to come', this exact line was said by Ser Arthur Dayne at the Tower of Joy.

It was a strange thing for Arthur to say to Ned, he almost knew he was going to die. 

Jon has said it to Daenerys to wish her good luck between her and Cersei, but it was also like he wasn't going to come back from where he was going. 

Not sure what it could fully mean and why it was referenced here I'd like to hear if anyone else picked up on it and their thoughts?

It is probably a common thing warriors of the time said to each other when parting on good terms as allies. It might be strange to you but is just a courtesy in Westeros.

1 minute ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Mance Rayder also said this to Stannis before Stannis had him burned, and I am pretty sure it has popped up in a few other places.  I think it is just an oft repeated line like "words are wind" and doesn't have any significant impact other than to remind the audience that a great war is on the horizon.

He does, after just watching a video Im not sure it does bare any relevance,  other than season 7 referring back to season 1 a lot and a few other seasons too. Think its just overuse of sayings just to remind us as you say. 

1 minute ago, tugela said:

It is probably a common thing warriors of the time said to each other when parting on good terms as allies. It might be strange to you but is just a courtesy in Westeros.

Yeah I agree, it was just the relevance of who had said it last that I thought it might have been reference to something. 

9 hours ago, ShadowKitteh said:

GRRM does the same thing. So.... 

7 hours ago, goomba said:

He too, is known as lazy. So...  :P

He is in fact even lazier, look at Winds of Winter.  Oh wait, you can't, because he still hasn't written it...! :lol: 

Archived