dragonstone to the wall in a day?

dantares83

21 hours ago, Ser Snowflake said:

I've watched every episode of GOT. 

The books have some issue with time as well.....but nothing like the show. (See Victarian's chapters from ADWD.) 

You seem to have an either or attitude regarding time in GOT. There is a middle ground between either having a "24" format regarding the show or having Jon teleport from DS to Eastwatch in one episode. Euron attacking Yara's fleet and then subsequently sailing to CR to ambush the fleet that transported Greyworm to CR is equally ridiculous. It was also stupid how Varys sailed from Mereen to Dorne and than back to Mereen, only to sail back to Westeros is stupid and nonsensical given the huge distance between the two places.

I've had a problem with GOT every since the fifth season, after D&D ran out of source material. The quality of the show has declined drastically. Seasons 1-4 were classics. Seasons 5-7 have been underwhelming. I wonder if GRRM really gave D&D some sort of outline to how the rest of the series was supposed to go. It doesn't appear that D&D are following GRRM's blueprint.  

Not having the problem you do regarding time and travel distance ≠ "an either or attitude regarding time in GOT." 

It simply doesn't bother me, just like it doesn't bother me in any other film or TV show. My mind is perfectly capable of understanding the characters continue to exist when they're not on screen, and time passes when traveling.

4 hours ago, ImNoSer said:

people act like GRRM could do no wrong and its always the show runners

GRRM has grossly misjudged how long it would take him to finish the story - but other than that I don't see how this accelerated ending is his fault?

4 hours ago, ImNoSer said:

Right now its simply a race to finish the story arcs

That it ends up finishing in this much of a rush is a surprise though. It feels like, at the end of The Two Towers, there's a final paragraph that says "but then Sam freed Frodo and they kicked Sauron's ass and by the way Aragorn probably became king or something, the end. PS: Cast Sean Bean as Boromir please, that would be fuckin' awesome".

5 hours ago, ImNoSer said:

people act like GRRM could do no wrong and its always the show runners.

it can be both. Show started going downhill at the start of season 7 due to pacing issues, they ran out of time to do the show. s7 + s6 only being 13 episodes in total. If they did full 20 episodes i feel like it would fit more in line with previous seasons. Right now its simply a race to finish the story arcs. Right now they will simply kill off all your favorite characters, then have a sex scene with jon/dany, followed by awesome cgi and dragons rawr rawr. THE END.

I think the biggest problem is Bran's arc vs the Army of the Dead's.... and how everyone else gets to deal with that.

Bran being the 3ER, throws a giant time problem into the pace of the storytelling because he knows/sees everything, and there's likely not much left for him to do - storey-wise, aside from Jon's parentage, and assisting in the final battle next season. Remember when he wasn't even in season 5 because the rest of the story needed to catch up? How would they work Bran's arc into 20 full episodes at this point? We're rarely seeing him now, and when we do, it's a few words in a very short scene. 

While the Army of the Dead is heading south. We know the Slow Zombie Shuffle™ really doesn't apply here - they moved fast at Hardhome. They're walking at a normal pace when Flock of Bran sees them. 

There are a lot of things that make perfect sense in the book, because you're reading it. But shooting it is an entirely different thing. 

For example, take the HotU. If they shot it as written, it would be full of spoilers, especially the Red Wedding, (and the entire season's budget would be spent on a single sequence), but in the book, Dany doesn't recognize anyone, so we don't either. That doesn't work in a visual storytelling medium, so they were forced to change it. It's just the nature of adapting literary works to film. 

GRRM's tale got so complicated by the end of book three, that the next two books happen mostly simultaneously, and we follow one group of characters in Feast, and a mostly different group in Dance. Two different books. Television can't tell a story that way. Can you imagine if the show did that? One set of characters one season and then going back in time for a mostly different set the next? 

And the story's action at this point is all over the map. The books are going to have to line all that up, and it may be one of the problems with Winds, and why it's taking so long. Granted, time passing is easier in books, because you're reading, not watching, and there's a lot more detail, and that takes longer to read, which takes more time to pass, giving you the illusion of even more time passing. Yet GRRM want back to the last 20% of Storm to begin his simultaneous overlay.

I work in the industry. I personally think D&D are doing an amazing job of shooting the unshootable, on a TV budget (granted a very large one.) Still, films have larger budgets for far less footage - and adapting such a complicated story for television. Game of Thrones has raised the bar for scripted TV so high it's better than most films in theaters currently.

On 8/18/2017 at 4:42 AM, Drayzen said:

I'm more disappointed in this than the "time traveling". The show has become very streamlined in regards to plotlines and dialogue. If it doesn't serve the endgame it's no longer in the show.

To make things a bit easier to accept try to think of things this way:

Seasons 1-4 things were relatively calm in Westeros. Politics were the focal point. The threat of Winter was not much of a threat at all. Daenerys was not a threat. This left the story to focus on the politics of Westeros and develop the characters.

As the threat of the White Walkers arrives and Daenerys becomes more of a threat, the show takes a shift to action. The "wheel is being broken" so to say and things that were set in motion slowly over the first seasons are finally clashing. The White Walkers don't want to talk, they want to kill. The war for the throne has come to it's final chapter. Didnt everyone want the final chapter to be action packed? It was always meant to be more characters just taking action to survive VS sitting around talking about things for another 2 seasons.

I always thought the fantasy elements of the series were it's weakest parts. The political drama, maneuvering and compelling characters were what hooked me.

17 hours ago, Mikkel said:

That it ends up finishing in this much of a rush is a surprise though. It feels like, at the end of The Two Towers, there's a final paragraph that says "but then Sam freed Frodo and they kicked Sauron's ass and by the way Aragorn probably became king or something, the end. PS: Cast Sean Bean as Boromir please, that would be fuckin' awesome".

Kind of like the end of The Princess and The Queen, then?

The problem with the travel times is not that we have to see Jon sit in a boat for a month. But if we know he's traveling for a month, then what happens in the other storylines during that time? What did Dany or Cersei do during that month? 

I think in this thread someone mentioned Robert traveling from KL to WF in Episode 1. That's true, but we see Bran going like "They're finally here" or something, so we clearly are shown that some time has passed. Also, there weren't any other storylines on hold at that time.

If all the travels and the passing of time is so unproblematic in S7, can someone provide a rough timeline of the events so far for the major characters? preferably a timeline that doesn't rely on, i don't know, parties in an ongoing war doing fuck'all for a month or roundtrips of a continent in a week.

On a sidenote, though: I don't think Jaime actually went to CR in those 14 days, did he? I think he met the Lannister army on the way to Highgarden. That makes it a little easier to swallow, although far from realistic.

Archived