Gendry and Clovis

Tyrek Lannister

So...about the alias that Davos chose for Gendry...

I know that the show has been dumbed down over the years and it can mean absolutely nothing but Clovis I was the founder of the Merovingian dynasty, who united the Franks under a single rule.

Maybe a sign of things to come for Gendry? Legitimization, rulling Stormlands?

I wouldn't be shocked if we have a King Gendry Baratheon at the end of the series with Davos as his hand and Arya as his bride.  Two true champions of the poor in Flea Bottom and a woman who went to the school of hard knocks.  But I don't think the name choice of Clovis is meaningful.

Agreed he will end up with a major title, most likely Lord Paramount of the Stormlands, if you noticed he already is paying homage to his Baratheon roots, he placed the golden stag of House Baratheon on his warhammer.  Though it may be a real test of Dany's children should not pay for the sins of their parents philosophy.

Nice catch. I also love history and the Merovingian.

I thought about that, specially because Clovis is weird a name that doesnt exist in ASOF, GRRM doesnt like to use standard names, he always twists them a little.

I also thought about Charles Martel, or Karl The Hammer. He was son of Pepin, house of Peppinids. Pepin took over the Kingdom of the Franks after the Merovingians slowly decay. Charles was also known as "The illegitimate", just like Gendry is a bastard.

Charles created a new dynasty, The Carolingian dynasty, one of the most important in European history, from which spawned cadet branches like the Robertians and Capets who basically ruled everything.

13 hours ago, Tyrek Lannister said:

So...about the alias that Davos chose for Gendry...

I know that the show has been dumbed down over the years and it can mean absolutely nothing but Clovis I was the founder of the Merovingian dynasty, who united the Franks under a single rule.

Maybe a sign of things to come for Gendry? Legitimization, rulling Stormlands?

Clovis is a type of stone arrowhead and spear point.  There is a Stone Age culture named for the style.  It is foreshadowing his role as smith who makes the draginglass weapons.  

I would not rule out a double meaning where it is foreshadowing what you are referring to as well.  

Archived