How to capture a wight with fewest casualties

hallam

2 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Benjen was stabbed in the gut by a WW and left for dead. The CotF saved him by sticking dragonglass into his stomach, before he could turn into a wight. Shoving dragonglass into a first man is what they did to create a WW. Benjen may not have died at all.

My understanding, which I admit may not be perfect, was that he had died, but the CotF used the dragonglass before he could be wighted.

5 hours ago, Lordsteve666 said:

Why didn't they just fly a dragon up there, tell it to grab a mouthful of dead things and then drop 'em in the Red Keep courtyard?

Far easier than sending the Seven Samurai up north on a suicide mission.

For one thing, I don't think the dragons speak the common tongue.  They're animals.  The only command we know they can follow is to burn stuff.

14 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

My understanding, which I admit may not be perfect, was that he had died, but the CotF used the dragonglass before he could be wighted.

I think you are probably right, but if I remember correctly it seemed ambiguous as to whether he actually died or not. Most likely he die, though.

17 hours ago, Moiraine Sedai said:

Capturing a wight only makes sense if you want to do the research on how best to kill them.  

Don't they already know that?  Fire, dragonglass and valyrian steel.  

This whole trek beyond the wall seems like an excuse to have a battle and kill off more characters to streamline the story. 

Less cast that need to be paid = more money for special effects. ;)

... come on forum. Don't let me down.  

5 hours ago, Illiterati said:

Neither Jon nor BenJen are wights in my book.  Both are sentient and independently thinking and acting.  Wights are cadavers turned puppets under the control of wight walkers.  This is why it doesn't make sense to me that they would take a wight to KL without its host walker.

What am I missing?

As said they are wights, wights of fire and its been confirmed. 

If you havnt watched episode 6 dont read the next bit, but by your comment Im going to assume you have :-)

Spoiler

Considering they all fell when Jon killed the WW, why was that one left standing? I think that a when a WW raises the dead they have a tie to that Wight, aslong as the WW is alive the Wight will stay active. So that must mean the WW that brought back the Wight we see captured is not related to the WW we see killed. 

Making a team with the shadow that killed Renly Baratheon; the Essos teleporter with the blue tongue (forgot his name), The zombie-Montain, J'Quan H'Ghar, and,,, let me say the Flash (yes..that one...just because)...  Since sense doesn't matter anymore..... why not?  

4 minutes ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

Making a team with the shadow that killed Renly Baratheon; the Essos teleporter with the blue tongue (forgot his name), The zombie-Montain, J'Quan H'Ghar, and,,, let me say the Flash (yes..that one...just because)...  Since sense doesn't matter anymore..... why not?  

I think Jason Bourne might be of assistance as well.

1 hour ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

Uh... what's wrong with you?  

Rick Grimes and Daryl are the only people you need for this mission.  

21 hours ago, WCPhan said:

Getting back on topic

1. You'd have to get one that's been separated from the group which is difficult since they travel in packs of like 500

2. A fishing net or a box might do it once one is captured unless someone brought a bunch of rope 

3. Wights don't stop moving so for the month it'll take to get back to Dragonstone, it's going to going crazy and you can't knock them out.

4. Even before then, you have to make off with one and not have the others follow

Essentially, however they do it, it's going to be unrealistic and we are all just going to have to accept it

We're going to have to accept that capturing a zombie soldier in a story about dragons, dire wolves, stone men, faceless men, people who don't burn, flaming swords, Wargs, Night Kings and zombies is unrealistic? Hmmm. . . :D

33 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

We're going to have to accept that capturing a zombie soldier in a story about dragons, dire wolves, stone men, faceless men, people who don't burn, flaming swords, Wargs, Night Kings and zombies is unrealistic? Hmmm. . . :D

You can have a story with super fast snails or dinosaurs that have a laser beam and still have reason and logic. You delineate a set of logic rules and do not contradict them. A story can have the most bizarre and unrealistic beings and still follow logic and reason. This flaw is what we are seeing  in the show during the last seasons.

35 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

Lol   Oops I forgot about the whole "fantasy" thing

22 minutes ago, WCPhan said:

Lol   Oops I forgot about the whole "fantasy" thing

My post was mostly tongue in cheek. I agree it makes no sense. The whole capture a wight plot is ridiculous. Personally, I think they'd have better luck capturing Cersei and bringing her to the Night King to show him what they are dealing with, and pleading with him to postpone hostilities until they can deal with the Lannisters. . . :D

29 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

My post was mostly tongue in cheek. I agree it makes no sense. The whole capture a wight plot is ridiculous. Personally, I think they'd have better luck capturing Cersei and bringing her to the Night King to show him what they are dealing with, and pleading with him to postpone hostilities until they can deal with the Lannisters. . . :D

Genius!

Just need a kit from ACME and a sign that reads, "Free Bitch Seed" :D

16 minutes ago, Green Knight said:

That might not be a good idea.

• Night King: You know what, Jon? You're actually a nice guy. Maybe I've been wrong about humans all these 8000 years.
  • Jon: Yeah, and I thought you White Walkers were just mindless agents of death, but you turned out to be pretty cool. Maybe, instead of just a temporary cease fire—
  • NK: We could have a permanent peace, learn to live together and share the continent? Exactly what I was thinking.
  • Jon: Great!
  • NK: So, why did you come here for a cease fire in the first place?
  • Jon: Oh, right. We have to deal with Cersei.
  • NK: What's a Cersei?
  • Jon: Actually, we brought her.
  • Cersei: Mwahaha! I'm not really pregnant, I just had Qyburn implant 10 pounds of explosives in my belly! So, Mr. Night King, either you bend the knee, and hand me Dany's and Jon's and the dragons' heads, or I blow us all up.
  • NK: Blow yourself up? Why would you kill yourself just out of spite?
  • Cersei: Mwahaha! That's how I'm going to start my 1000-year legacy. By killing myself!
  • NK: You know what, I think I was right about humans after all. Your species sucks. We're just going to kill you all and turn you into wights.
  • Jon: Sigh, I can't really argue with that.
  • Dany: Wait! I am Daenerys Stormborn, the Unburnt, Breaker of Chains, Mother of Dragons, Queen of…
  • NK: Can we cut to the chase?
  • Dany: I got nothing, I just wanted to title-brag one last time. Go ahead and kill us all now.

1 hour ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

You can have a story with super fast snails or dinosaurs that have a laser beam and still have reason and logic. You delineate a set of logic rules and do not contradict them. A story can have the most bizarre and unrealistic beings and still follow logic and reason. This flaw is what we are seeing  in the show during the last seasons.

This, exactly this,

A narrative sets it's own rules and tone at the start. GoTs set the tone for a very gritty, hyper-realistic (almost horrific) slow burn fantasy in it's first season. And what happened? Where did it all go?

Case in point the wights. In the books they are always meaty, they always have muscle mass and are never skeletal. There are 2 very good logical reasons for this. 1) Bones don't stay together, let alone move, without muscles and 2) bones don't burn that easily. Screeching snow skeletons break the the tone set by the book and first few seasons.

Perhaps GRRM wanted his story to devolve into something more like Dragonlance all along, with less internal logic and dread and more action adventure - but I don't buy it, he seems a reasonably smart and consistent guy, so I think if he wanted to write a Dragonlance he would have started with the appropriate tone.

I don't think D&D fully understood GRRMs tone, I don't think they fully understand the idea of creeping horror and dread that GRRM inserted into AsoIaF. They were smart enough to get R+L=J but not enough to understand Jojen paste. So, in the show we get Bran Manhattan - the comic book version of what the books would probably have presented as a very psychologically disturbed, all knowing child that loses all control over his own moral POV.

17 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

I understand how The Mountain is undead and why

If sandor clegane dies beyond the Wall, they will burn his body then and there. 

Ok. They said they will bring an undead to KL as a proof... I think it just meant that If they decide to take the possible undead Clegane as a proof of the threat beyond the wall, then there are going to be two undead Clegane... Right?

Archived