How can Daenerys make her claim stronger than Jon's

Styl7

I know that such a thing won't happen.. The WW are machine towards the Wall.. No time for things like that.. The IT isn't that important..

But if Daenerys wanted to make her claim look stronger than Jon's how could she support it. (I have something in mind, but I won't to hear other people's opinions).

Is male primogeniture is a fixed thing among the Targaryens (who originated in Essos)? Could the sister of the late heir apparent Rhaegar, and thus Jon's elder, also be considered the senior heir? Much as for example Saudi kings are chosen from the late king's brothers, not his sons?

After Rhaegar's death, Aerys made Viserys his heir, and following Aery's death, Rhaella crowned Viserys on Dragonstone.  Subsequently, Viserys made Dany his heir.  From the point of view of a Targaryen loyalist, there is an unbroken line of succession.

Daenerys can also argue that she is Targaryen on both sides, being born of incest, whereas Jon is part-Stark, and part-Targaryen.

Finally, we don't know what the terms of the annulment and new marriage were.  The marriage might have excluded any children from the succession.

On a succession-by-bloodline basis, she can't. Primogeniture is the way titles change hands in Westeros. Even leaving gender out of it, the son of a first son inherits before a second son (or in this case, daughter.) In that regard, Jon's claim will always be strongen than Danaerys'.

The whole point is moot, however, since the Targaryen dynasty was overthrown so no Targaryen has any right to the throne and the Baratheons/Lannisters rule by right of conquest. The only way a Targaryen will sit the iron throne again is if they re-conquer the Seven Kingdoms. This means that the ability to press your claim is more important than the strength of the claim itself. Considering Danaerys has three dragons and a larger army than Jon, you have to give her the edge here.

8 minutes ago, SeanF said:

After Rhaegar's death, Aerys made Viserys his heir, and following Aery's death, Rhaella crowned Viserys on Dragonstone.  Subsequently, Viserys made Dany his heir.  From the point of view of a Targaryen loyalist, there is an unbroken line of succession.

Daenerys can also argue that she is Targaryen on both sides, being born of incest, whereas Jon is part-Stark, and part-Targaryen.

Finally, we don't know what the terms of the annulment and new marriage were.  The marriage might have excluded any children from the succession.

There is a possibility Aerys disinherited Rhaegar and whoever else came from that line, meaning they have lost their inheritance to the throne. So this would mean Jon Snow too. Again when Viserys was crowned on Dragonstone this then already skipped Aegon as Rhaegar's successor, this could potentially make this line disherited. Viserys named Daenerys as his heir so potentially her claim is already stronger than Jons.

1 hour ago, Styl7 said:

I know that such a thing won't happen.. The WW are machine towards the Wall.. No time for things like that.. The IT isn't that important..

But if Daenerys wanted to make her claim look stronger than Jon's how could she support it. (I have something in mind, but I won't to hear other people's opinions).

Undermine the marriage of his parents. After all, there was no legitimate reason for an annulment. 

What we forget is, Daenerys does not have to make her claim stronger really. Jon is not interested in power. He'd bend the knee to Cersei if she was the only person who could help them defeat the WW and the AoD. He is really not interested in power, hes had it forced upon him multiple times.

Well, I know that such a thing would never happen since Jon is not interested in power, and even Daenerys will agree to stop the War to fight the White Walkers. I just wanted to see what ppl think of this..

In my point of view,  Daenerys can do two things:

-Support her claim as the heir of the King's heir. As many of you said, Aerys name Viserys his heir skipping all Rhaegar's children. Daenerys was named Princess of Dragonstone and Viserys heir, so her claim is stronger.

-Support that the marriage of Lyanna and Rhaegar is illegal

Well she looks like a targ where as jon doesn't. But most importantly she has a giant army and three dragons fighting for her where as if jon tries to claim the crown he will have nothing because the wildlings and the north will not back him in that. So basically dany can take it where as jon can't.

Also jon doesn't want the iron throne so it's kinda irrelevant.

6 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Well she looks like a targ where as jon doesn't. But most importantly she has a giant army and three dragons fighting for her where as if jon tries to claim the crown he will have nothing because the wildlings and the north will not back him in that. So basically dany can take it where as jon can't.

Also jon doesn't want the iron throne so it's kinda irrelevant.

Yeah I know it is.. This topic is for fun.

Daenerys has three dragons. If a dragon find a rider, who is opposed to Daenerys, will the dragon fight against his mother?

1 hour ago, Error-504 said:

Well, rumor has it Jon does bend the knee before discovery...............

Not sure if this is or not, but please don't drop production leaks.  That's not cool. 

If anything put them behind double spoiler tags. 

Thanks. 

4 hours ago, Styl7 said:

Jon took the Black. Nuff said. Sansa should behead him

Archived