Video Games: A (Sonic 3D) Blast From The Past

KiDisaster

23 hours ago, Rhom said:

I know this thread is soon to close and there is another VG thread already open... but felt this news was most appropriate here based on the title of the thread.

BioWare announces patch 1.10 is the end for ME: Andromeda.

:crying: 

For all its flaws, I really did enjoy the game.  I thought the setting was good with a lot of room to explore for future games and I really wanted to go find the Quarian Ark.

This came across my phone yesterday but I was elbow deep into writing some erotic Madden NFL 2018 fiction and couldn't find time to post.

I did cheer, though. Fuck Andromeda. Fuck BioWare for being dead. And fuck whatever fucks let this awful Vanilla Sky of a game get released(I know a lot of people quit over what was happening, respect to them).

36 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

This came across my phone yesterday but I was elbow deep into writing some erotic Madden NFL 2018 fiction and couldn't find time to post.

I did cheer, though. Fuck Andromeda. Fuck BioWare for being dead. And fuck whatever fucks let this awful Vanilla Sky of a game get released(I know a lot of people quit over what was happening, respect to them).

I figured with the way you are talking Colts in the NFL thread, the only Madden fic you'd be writing would be a snuff film.

On Andromeda.  I really think if the character editor and the animation was at the level it is now, the game would have been fine.  It's not ME2 or ME3 good, by any means; but the gameplay itself is actually really solid.  The story is fine, but suffers in the way that many open world games do... the story beats are spread out over too large an area.  The characters got some grief because they weren't Garrus, Wrex, and crew but they weren't terrible.

The game launched with some inexcusable animation bugs that were really quite laughable.  Quests were broken.  The standard Ryder male had facial hair that looked like a goat chewed on his chin.  By the time memes started hitting the net, the game's fate was sealed.

All of this really is more of a condemnation of the gaming industry as a whole.  The fact that a sizable number of gamers consider it standard policy to wait for a couple patches to iron out the launch bugs before purchasing should be unacceptable.

20 minutes ago, Rhom said:

I figured with the way you are talking Colts in the NFL thread, the only Madden fic you'd be writing would be a snuff film.

You have no idea... I was half a start menu from the climax before I realized that controllers don't have cords anymore and had to start rewriting entire plotlines about 4th quarter cumbacks.

I guess, better judgement should have concluded that a Mass Effect Spin off game would be a bad idea and a new IP is what was needed. I'm sad for the end of Mass Effect, especially with what amounts to 2 disappointing endings. The franchise made 2 and 5/8th great games. Probably one good game if they had ironed out all the bugs and not tried to slap the Mass Effect brand on it. But I understand lots of people wanting to keep on playing games with Asari, Turian, Quarian, Salerian and Krogan characters.

Just make a TV series starting with when humanity first finds the Prothean ruins on Mars.

32 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

You have no idea... I was half a start menu from the climax before I realized that controllers don't have cords anymore and had to start rewriting entire plotlines about 4th quarter cumbacks.

If I could still embed Twitter pictures in here, I would totally have the picture of George Takei saying: "Oh my..."

I think I'm near the end of my Greenskins campaign in TW:WH. Chaos has turned up in force on the Empire / Badlands border. I expect we are only a handful of turns from total victory or annihilation at the hands of Chaos. I have the numbers and sufficiently strong units to take Chaos out. 

How many turns would one expect a campaign to last?

43 minutes ago, karaddin said:

Burying Andromeda like this takes people that were already pissed off, like PQJ, and does nothing to make them happy (other than perhaps the suffering of others) and then compounds it by pissing off the people who actually found something to like in ME:A. So congratulations EA/BW. I forgave you for the ending of ME3, I got pumped for MEA, I even fucking enjoyed the game. And then you fucking kill it like this leaving half a dozen plot threads dangling. Great business move handing it off to an unproven studio, not giving them the organisational support or managerial oversight they needed, then fucking yanking everything that might have fixed it. Fuck you, my loyalty meter is now negative. And that was after you'd managed to make DA:I a game I couldn't get into despite loving that franchise too.

I can feel your anger! Take your Specter weapon... Strike me down with it and your journey towards the renegade side will be complete.

But seriously, the bolded, you get me.

23 minutes ago, Pony Queen Jace said:

I can feel your anger! Take your Specter weapon... Strike me down with it and your journey towards the renegade side will be complete.

But seriously, the bolded, you get me.

I'm not interested in feeding Sith though, I wanted some fucking closure :P Instead they've made me into Sith. And now we'll all be stuck dealing in absolutes.

I feel like I would have been also much more critical of Andromeda if it wasn't for the blown out of proportion hate fest.

Instead, the reception made me so hateful myself of those haters that I ended up liking the game probably more than I should.

So, to all of you who shat on Andromeda, thank you. We are all dealing with absolutes, now, indeed.

8 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

I think I'm near the end of my Greenskins campaign in TW:WH. Chaos has turned up in force on the Empire / Badlands border. I expect we are only a handful of turns from total victory or annihilation at the hands of Chaos. I have the numbers and sufficiently strong units to take Chaos out. 

How many turns would one expect a campaign to last?

I would say, roughly 200-250 turns, depending on what goals you are going for, short or long.

The Empire always gets destroyed by Chaos, if the player is too far away to intervene.

At some point, and it might be 6-7 years from now, I strongly suspect Bioware/EA will put out another Mass Effect game. It'll be called Mass Effect 4, be set in the Milky Way, be tied directly to the original trilogy, and will act as though ME:A never happened. Mass Effect is hardly the first series to have a terribly entry, and the first time around these usually aren't franchise killers (e.g. Unity didn't stop Assassin's Creed). The trick seems to be to wait a while, don't reference the bad game, and market the next game as a return to the franchise's roots. Hopefully when ever that happens, the series is given the development support that it deserves.

As for me, I've finally started playing Sleeping Dogs; a game that has been sitting in my Steam account for almost 3 years untouched (bought it during the 2014 winter sale, never downloaded it). I'm only a couple hours in, but that game is great and I feel really dumb for not playing it sooner when it's not technical limitations would not be apparent (it is a pretty old release at this point). 

Hearthstone update: Jade Druid is still bullshit two expansions later, OTK Freeze Mage is Fun & Interactive™, I really want to make a Rotface control warrior deck but don't have enough dust to craft him. 

Blizz pls fix. 

---

In more important news, Amazon have changed their Prime Member video game discount policy. It used to be if you pre-ordered the game or bought it within the first two weeks of release you got 20% off, so brand new full priced games would only cost ~$48.00 or so. This was great for me, but now the discount only applies to pre-orders. I don't like pre-ordering games, so I'm pretty salty right now. 

FFXV for PC has been announced. Releases in early 2018 with an astonishing 170GB storage requirement. Biggest single game download I've ever seen or heard of. They should make the 4K textures a separate, optional download honestly. There's no need for everybody to use up their bandwidth/space on something most people won't use. 

1 hour ago, KiDisaster said:

FFXV for PC has been announced. Releases in early 2018 with an astonishing 170GB storage requirement. Biggest single game download I've ever seen or heard of. They should make the 4K textures a separate, optional download honestly. There's no need for everybody to use up their bandwidth/space on something most people won't use. 

I'm gonna take a hard-pass on buying this. Game doesn't sound great anyway, and I'm totally against game companies just taking for granted insane amounts of storage space and download capacity. I actually do have both, but I object on principle. 

Also, I can totally see FFXV doing the DOOM thing where when there's patches, huge amounts (if not all) of the game needs to be redownloaded. Fuck that.

1 hour ago, GallowKnight said:

I am somewhat hopeful with Relic making it. It also looks like we would be able to pick in which era to play, which would make this game much bigger than its predecessors (after DLCs, of course). If I can play in ancient or medieval periods, I will, otherwise pass. I barely touched AoEIII.

12 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I would say, roughly 200-250 turns, depending on what goals you are going for, short or long.

The Empire always gets destroyed by Chaos, if the player is too far away to intervene.

Oh well then I'm quite far away from the end. I think I have several short goals to go. I thought once you destroy Chaos then it's game over but I completely obliterated them in a single turn and we carried on. Was possibly rather dumb of me since I had all my forces bar 2 in a single location, and effin' two former peace treaty factions decided to take advantage and declare war. And the last surviving Greenskin faction refused to join one of the wars which made them into an enemy. Kinda weird that my notifications are still telling me than an ally is about to attack something when I'm now at war with them. 

Screw them all though, my forces are more balanced on the map now and I have a few Waaagh!s in tow. They goin' down!

Man, how much voice over work has Charles Dance been getting?

I never got around to AoE 3, but I loved AoE II and AoM. So I'm pretty keen on AoE IV. And Total War Warhammer has given me my RTS mojo back.

Firstly fuck white supremacy in all it's forms.

but secondly  it's just weirdly awesome to hear somebody acknowledge that he was aroused by the Zelda faries on an international broadcast

In that spirit I'll confess that I also enjoyed failing on the tank level of Star Fox 64 way too much. I think the rumble pack was game changing in a wan Nintendo probably never intended. 

Archived