Video Games: A (Sonic 3D) Blast From The Past

KiDisaster

13 hours ago, Derfel Cadarn said:

Decided to go exploring in my cobra.  Headed 'south' and found some undiscovered planets about 840 light years from my starting point (Avalon system in thr Empire).  At that point I headed back, the return trip lasting 90 jumps.

On selling my exploration data I made most 4 million credits and was credited with discovering about 2 dozen new planets, which now have my name marked against them as the discoverer :)

Next goal is to increase Imperial rank, then Federation rank, and save up for my Asp Explorer.

I've been grinding a bit in the bounty hunting scene... trying to up my combat rank so that (hopefully?) the game will throw some decent AI at me.  Right now I'm way overpowered for the opponents I'm getting; it kind of makes me feel like a bully.

16 hours ago, mcbigski said:

If I were to play Elite or Bsg on the pc, what are the controls like?  Are they primarily mouse driven or can you do mostly keyboard or controller pad?  They both sound like they're in my wheel house but using a mouse as the primary input is a no go for my hands.

You can use whatever you want.  Its fully customisable. 

22 hours ago, mcbigski said:

If I were to play Elite or Bsg on the pc, what are the controls like?  Are they primarily mouse driven or can you do mostly keyboard or controller pad?  They both sound like they're in my wheel house but using a mouse as the primary input is a no go for my hands.

Elite is optimised for joystick-and-throttle or gamepad controller. You can use mouse and keyboard but it's not the best choice. Elite is a space simulator, you're in the cockpit of the spaceship and you can even play it in VR or with an IR Tracker if you want to go advanced.

BSG: Deadlock is a turn-based strategy game, so it's not a fast-paced combat game like Elite is. You can use mouse and keyboard but it does actually have a gamepad controller option because of the forthcoming PS4 and X-Box One versions.

The videos I've been posting are the turns all strung together into a continuous battle narrative. You don't play the game like that.

Cool.  May have to check them both out.  Getting bored with War of the Chosen after third campaign. 

Also have a nice Civ4 game going on Immortal as Hannibal.  Got a decent sized peninsula blocked off and a few islands to expand to for the cothon bonus.  If I can take out the Ethiopians then I ll have a winnable position.  Jerk put a city where he really had no business and hes creative w a rennaisaance unique unit and I'm really talking myself into a preemptive war here.

I've been playing Stellaris the past week or so and doing better than I ever have. I control about a third of the galaxy and the only the fallen empires are listed as superior or overwhelming. I know I'm not gonna touch it again for awhile after Mario comes out at midnight, so I've got about eight hours to wrap things up. I think I'll just start attacking people and see what happens. I hope I get to see an end-game crisis this time. 

On 10/24/2017 at 6:07 AM, Werthead said:

How EA have decided that the future is microtransations, open world, loot boxes and milking players for all they are worth. Don't expect to see any more single-player focused linear games from EA any time soon. Or ever.

It sounds plausible, but we also have to consider the source--a guy who was fired and now really seems to have a chip on his shoulder. He's ripped on ME4, which he was part of--honestly, he kind of seems like he likes to start fights. I still think there is some truth to this--microtransactions showing up in more games, but I don't know if the single-player focused will go away.

Over a hundred turns into that Empire campaign, the United States of America appeared on the scene in the 1740's and I have made them a friend. In their war against the French that quickly broke out (probably lack of payment on loans :P ) I kept sending all kinds of monies to those 13 states.

Meanwhile I had a massive fight with Sweden that was a goddamn nightmare. When Frederick II 'The King In Prussia' died the Swedes contested the succession and launched an invasion. They captured Berlin briefly and landed a massive army in Konigberg, four years of maneuvering ensued in eastern Europe in which I subdued Poland and Austria. The situation was settled when Russia declared an invasion of both powers, I agreed to give Sweden the Lituanian state in return for peace. 

Meanwhile, Venice once again declared war on the Prussian state. A quick war was finished with Empress Christinia II's generals capturing Venice and bestowing it upon the Knights of St. John.

The Venetian Doge's last holding in lower Greece was constantly undermined by local rebels and after overthrowing the capitol the Independent Greek state was a fast friend of the new Germanic superpower.

Now, massive infrastructure and economic reforms have taken place over the last 3 years as a Colonial Expeditionary Force prepares to depart with the newly rebuilt Prussian fleet.

The greatest nations of the world control massive territories, the Prussian state must do the same. If the future is to be Teutonic, there will need to be a new living space for these German peoples.

Started an Empire campaign on the combined map in TW: Warhammer 2, which is the only vanilla faction I never got very far with. Took Reikland from the secessionists quickly and then marched north into Midderland, beat Boris Toddbringer (what a name) and managed to take his cities fairly quickly after that. I had been using a single army up until that point, but now I have no enemies nearby, so I've returned Karl Franz back to Reikland and am going to upgrade his army with better units while building a second to assist.

Not sure whether to keep invading other human nations or if I should try to blitz the Vampire Counts, since in every other campaign I've played they've always become quite powerful. I'm hesitant to go too far north and take the cities bordering Norsca since I know (from playing as the Norsca) how easy they are to raid. 

6 hours ago, The Drunkard said:

Started an Empire campaign on the combined map in TW: Warhammer 2, which is the only vanilla faction I never got very far with. Took Reikland from the secessionists quickly and then marched north into Midderland, beat Boris Toddbringer (what a name) and managed to take his cities fairly quickly after that. I had been using a single army up until that point, but now I have no enemies nearby, so I've returned Karl Franz back to Reikland and am going to upgrade his army with better units while building a second to assist.

Not sure whether to keep invading other human nations or if I should try to blitz the Vampire Counts, since in every other campaign I've played they've always become quite powerful. I'm hesitant to go too far north and take the cities bordering Norsca since I know (from playing as the Norsca) how easy they are to raid. 

I, too, started one. But in Warhammer I, I did finish twice with the Empire.

Anyway, I like this big, combined map, even if the turns take longer. I actually started two campaigns, one with the Empire, but with Balthazar Gelt, and the other with Lothern. I do love how the Empire lands look with the new improved map, and that now you can conquer anywhere, but you have to deal with shitty climate. This has actually allowed my neighboring Dwarfs, Karak Zifilin, to start kicking some Bretonnian ass, and I may join them, since Bretonnia took Marienburg before I could. Unlike you, I am on good terms with Toddbringer, which is a first, and my attention is now focused on the Vampires and the southern provinces.

As far as lootboxes go, I think the way Blizzard does it with Overwatch is great actually.

1. Its just cosmetic.

2. Its possible to use in game means to obtain it. You don't need to pay.

3. Its not completely RNG. You can use ingame gold to purchase if you can't get it through boxes.

4. They aren't releasing it as DLC, although I am also supportive of cosmetic DLC.

5. They are still updating the base game with content.

This is in contrast to say, Rocket League, where you need to pay for a key to open RNG crates for cosmetics and they also have DLC that aren't purely cosmetic. I think its fair still, just annoying.

Besides, its EA. They are already releasing the same games every year with minor changes. I don't know what anyone expects of them.

On 28/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, Corvinus said:

I, too, started one. But in Warhammer I, I did finish twice with the Empire.

Anyway, I like this big, combined map, even if the turns take longer. I actually started two campaigns, one with the Empire, but with Balthazar Gelt, and the other with Lothern. I do love how the Empire lands look with the new improved map, and that now you can conquer anywhere, but you have to deal with shitty climate. This has actually allowed my neighboring Dwarfs, Karak Zifilin, to start kicking some Bretonnian ass, and I may join them, since Bretonnia took Marienburg before I could. Unlike you, I am on good terms with Toddbringer, which is a first, and my attention is now focused on the Vampires and the southern provinces.

My empire campaign in Warhammer 1 was definitely the most fun  I’ve had in the game.

Mortal Empires now is really stretching the power of my machine , turn times are up to over  minute for me. Not really able to get very far in one sitting. I’m 

@Manhole Eunuchsbane

@Corvinus

Update on my Hearts of Iron 4 campaign. I'm using a mod that sets the start time to 1910 and am in control of the German Empire. War broke out with the Entente in 1914 when Austria Hungary invaded Serbia. I had put 20 divisions on my French border, having them dig in like ticks and left them there ever since.

Meanwhile about 40 divisions bordering Russia began a strong counter-attack in the East. AH stumbled a bit out of the gate, so eventually I had armies curving into their northern border for them, around Poland.

And during all this Serbia has punched AH in the kidney and the Entente has landed forces in the Balkans. I was able to reinforce with over sixty divisions in southern Austria. We drove the British and French forces out of the region and into the sea while the treacherous Italians declared war and sent men across the river Asonzo.

That situation is under control by nearly 70 AH divisions backed up by 34 German. The Entente will never break the stalemate in the west or the Alpine terrain above Italy. It is 1916 now, and I am allowing the Austrians to force the Russians back as their armies disintegrate around them.

I expect that no later than 1918 we will capture St. Petersburg.

By the grace of god, the German Empire continues in victory! The Czar of Russia Peter II, has abdicated his throne! A Soviet state has risen in St. Petersburg and Moscow. As  the Western and Italian fronts calcify, the Kaiser's cousin General Jace of Ponyburg leads the campaign on Russia.

The German crown seeks no peace with a Soviet Russia, nor a democratic 'white' government. The next Czar will be one of the Kaiser's choosing!

Got Pillars of Eternity last week on a pretty decent Steam discount. Would have preferred to get it on GoG but the Steam discount was too good to pass up. I got XCOM 2 on a decent discount as well.

Also Steam sells games in NZ dollars, but I have to use AU or US dollars on GoG, which is a pain because then I have exchange rate issues to deal with.

I'm very early in Pillars still, but I am enjoying the nostalgia of the game-play style while at the same time experiencing more contemporary visuals.

Question: Am I going to have to hire some party members or will I meet people along the way who can fill out my roster of companion adventurers?

I've gone back to my CK2 game where I'm playing as a Fraticelli Holy Roman Empire (spanning most of France, Italy, Spain and Britain). King Wulfhere of Germany and Bavaria is my kinsman, and his realm acts as an eastern buffer state against the various pagans in the east. 

Lithuania had invaded Bavaria and Wulfhere was massing his soldiers to fight them, while my soldiers were marching east to assist. Before they could arrive however, Wulfhere died in battle and the crowns of Germany and Bavaria passed to his only child - his 14 y/o daughter Adelaide. While my soldiers drove the Lithuanians out, Wulfhere's Catholic wife (and now Adelaide's regent) Vuldretrada betrothed Adelaide to Slavich, a Catholic duke in Croatia, which would have undone all my work in establishing my only Fraticelli ally. Unfortunately for him, Slavich had to die.

Just prior to Adelaide turning 16, my conspirators managed to have Slavich poisoned at a banquet, and Adelaide reached adulthood without a betrothal. She, still Fraticelli, was now able to select her own husband, and chose another Fraticelli courtier from within her own kingdom. She's a little bit of a warmonger, given she almost immediately declared war on Denmark (which had spread into northern Germany) and simultaneously conquered a small county within Bavaria (that had managed to become independent for some reason), leading the armies herself and gaining a scar across the face in the process.

In other news, my heir is fairly mediocre while my second son is fairly excellent and betrothed to someone with the Strong genetic trait, so I might have to scheme my heir into the grave, or send him on some suicidal military missions against the pagans.  

eta: within minutes of typing this my king became Incapable and his wife took over as regent, but was promptly replaced by my second son for reasons I'm unaware of. Maybe he will find his own way to become heir. 

For your comedic enjoyment... Had been grinding to bump my combat rank from Mostly Harmless to Novice... generally only finding easy bounties of similar ranks, until I finally came across a wing of 2 that blew me out of the sky.  

Big announcements for Playstation today. 

The Last of Us Part II got a trailer, but still no release date. (Warning: Trailer is brutal. Had me actually cringing.)

Sucker Punch's (of Sly Cooper & Infamous fame) new IP, Ghost of Tsushima got announced. An open world game set in Japan during the first Mongol invasion. I've loved all of their games so I'm looking forward to this one. 

New trailers for God of War, Detroit: Become Human and quite a few others as well. Those two I linked are the ones I'm most excited for though. 

18 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

Question: Am I going to have to hire some party members or will I meet people along the way who can fill out my roster of companion adventurers?

You can do both. I initially hired a tank and healer until I met companions along the way. Companions will give you the extra dialogue as well as quests and xp. It's always good to extra party members at your stronghold who will be able to perform tasks for cash or items while you are off adventuring.

5 hours ago, Ded As Ned said:

For your comedic enjoyment... Had been grinding to bump my combat rank from Mostly Harmless to Novice... generally only finding easy bounties of similar ranks, until I finally came across a wing of 2 that blew me out of the sky.  

I donated a lot of creds for rep points,got a follow up courier message worth a lot of creds and while enroute got attacked. 

Bring it on, I thought.  Barely won the fight but accidently fired at a security ship. Lost my rep with that faction, got blown up, and got hit with a bounty - and failed the mission.

oh well - took another mission to deliver more cargo to that system - and got scanned seconds from docking. Because of the bounty I got blown up again, failong yrt another mission :(

Archived