The looks

Deminelle

Just now, DarkBastard said:

I don't know for sure, but if she has to tell him when to burn, wouldn't she have to tell him when to fly and land?  If it's a mental connection, why would she have to say Dracarys?

Like a (really big and scaly) horse, ie by touch, at least when she's mounted, maybe. I don't know, I just don't remember seeing her issue any commands except Dracarys (it makes sense to make that one explicit so you don't accidentally burn anyone, heh).

2 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

Yeah, I also think she was conveying approval of Jon's willingness to do that as King- like she could learn something from it.  But yes, in general I have thought Emilia and Kit are some of the weaker actors, but there is no doubt in my mind they have bought out the best in each other this season.  Some really good chemistry there.

Unfortunately, that goes for the entire show.  While I sort of understand why D & D want to move on and appreciate the need to finish this story as we probably will never get that with GRRM, I don't understand why there is such a rush.  Just having a shortened 9th season for example would make a HUGE difference in terms of being able to show stuff like this.

Total agreement there...no idea why they chose to rush the end.  I think GRRM is going to publish the next book after this season ends or after the next...depending on the show's stop point.

3 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Like a (really big and scaly) horse, ie by touch, at least when she's mounted, maybe. I don't know, I just don't remember seeing her issue any commands except Dracarys (it makes sense to make that one explicit so you don't accidentally burn anyone, heh).

Ok, I can buy that for sure.  Maybe she wanted to scare/intimidate Jon...spurred Drogon to run at him.  The cooing and borderline lover-like treatment couldn't have been directed through body contact though, do you think?  Even if it was, would that not convey her own affection for Jon?

1 minute ago, DarkBastard said:

Total agreement there...no idea why they chose to rush the end.  I think GRRM is going to publish the next book after this season ends or after the next...depending on the show's stop point.

My best guess is that D & D are just kind of sick of it.  I've said this before but I really do feel bad for these guys- This is not what they signed up for.  I truly believe they signed up for this as huge fans of the books and thought they could just make a relatively faithful adaptation of the books.  At the time there seemed to be no question that GRRM would finish the books before the show was over.  I think D & D are sick of the pressure and criticism that comes with all this and just want it finished.

While I understand that, I do think it is a little irresponsible to rush things this much.  

11 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

TBH I've been against their romance because they are so close related. It doesn't feel right. But this is what the actors make us believe now. Once they learn about their relationship, this may change.

One of the greatest things about GoT is that it portrays a world that is at the same time beautiful, fascinating, terrifying, and generally realistic within its own context. It should never be looked at through the prism of our modern lives where sensibilities and ethics are so so different. Aristocratic families used to struggle a lot due to inbreeding because they subscribed to the false assumption that it's best not to dilute royal blood. It only makes sense that the social structure and customs of Westeros would be susceptible to the same problem. Cersei/Jaime anyone?

Gotta say I am really ok with the way they show it. Thought it would come way more heavy handed but they dropped some hints here and there without rushing it or forcing it toooo much. Compared to how rushed other things are this season, the pace is really good.

Overall "good" romance is quite rare in TV and this developing romance has at least avoided many pitfalls that plagued other foreseeable couples.

36 minutes ago, DarkBastard said:

I don't know for sure, but if she has to tell him when to burn, wouldn't she have to tell him when to fly and land?  If it's a mental connection, why would she have to say Dracarys?

She's used two verbal commands so far as I recall. Dracarys which is obviously her favorite, and the word for "fly" when she hops on Drogon's back in the fighting pit. 

36 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

My best guess is that D & D are just kind of sick of it.  I've said this before but I really do feel bad for these guys- This is not what they signed up for.  I truly believe they signed up for this as huge fans of the books and thought they could just make a relatively faithful adaptation of the books.  At the time there seemed to be no question that GRRM would finish the books before the show was over.  I think D & D are sick of the pressure and criticism that comes with all this and just want it finished.

While I understand that, I do think it is a little irresponsible to rush things this much.  

I couldn't agree with this comment more. I was saying pretty much the same on the rant and rave thread earlier.

These guys are massive fans that signed up to adapt a story they loved; they didn't sign up to have to come up with a lot of it on their own. I love this series, but I wouldn't want to have to help write it or write parts of it myself.

These guys aren't on the same writing level as GRRM - I don't think there are many writers that are - so they are completely out of their depth here, which is why I find it hard to critisise these guys too much, because they are going over and beyond what they set out to do originally.

Anyway, on topic, Daenerys will always be more inclined to give 'looks' towards Jon than he will to her. 

If we look back, she was originally timid with Drogo, but by the end, she was as tactile with him as he was her. With Daario, she was a lot more forward. She knew she wanted him and she got him.

Jon was extremely backwards and nervous with Ygritte, but she more than made up for the two of them with her forwardness.

The looks Dany gives Jon aren't the same as how she looked at Daario. She looked at him as a sexual object almost. The way she glances at Jon, it's more like she is genuinely falling for him as opposed to lusting after him. 

I'm not entirely sure Jon is aware of it. Even when he was leaving and said something along the lines of 'at least if I die you won't have to worry about the KitN', and she replied 'I was just getting used to him.' He didn't really seem to pick up on what she meant.

Jon reminds me of the kind of man that practically written out for him when it comes to noticing a woman's interested in him.

Honestly, I do understand why they are developing the plot that way, but...I'd rather have their relationship like Luke and Leia's: at first they are driven to each other and later they understand why - because they are relatives, aunt and nephew.

Dany started making eyes at Jon in the previous episode.

She's got it bad for Jon right now.  Too bad Jon shows no interest at all really or we'd have a romance going already.

Dany will need to basically jump on him or this thing will go nowhere.  Jon has no time for or interest in girls.

Emilia is doing a great job showing her character's growing affection for Jon without using words.

4 minutes ago, JordanJH1993 said:

I'm not entirely sure Jon is aware of it. Even when he was leaving and said something along the lines of 'at least if I die you won't have to worry about the KitN', and she replied 'I was just getting used to him.' He didn't really seem to pick up on what she meant.

Jon reminds me of the kind of man that practically written out for him when it comes to noticing a woman's interested in him.

True, Jon seems oblivious. "You know nothing, Jon Snow." When will he know?

6 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

Yeah Ygritte had to hit him over the head with it, too (almost literally), in fact that whole thing was borderline creepy since Jon basically had to have sex with her or out himself to Mance (which would've been a death sentence).

23 minutes ago, Deminelle said:

True, Jon seems oblivious. "You know nothing, Jon Snow." When will he know?

Jorah was with Jon and Daenerys all of what seemed like ten minutes and he appeared to pick up on it the fact she was falling for Jon.

I have a feeling Jorah will die during this expedition beyond the wall, perhaps by sparing Jon to die himself.

Perhaps Jorah will be the one to make Jon realise Daenerys is in love with him. He'll have realised himself that despite his own love for Daenerys, it will never be reciprocated, but Jon is a good man, worthy of Daenerys, so he would be willing to sacrifice himself to enable Jon and Daenerys to happen. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Jorah surviving this journey and given he was cured of greyscale, there would have to be a hell of a good reason to kill him off.

1 hour ago, Tagganaro said:

They signed up for 7 then there was 8. They probably had to put their foot down to avoid HBO wanting to stretch it out further. If there wasn't a need  a season 8 from season 5 would probably of been the beginning of the end game, and now HBO wants to delay season 8 until 2019, which would just be unacceptable.

1 minute ago, JordanJH1993 said:

Jorah was with Jon and Daenerys all of what seemed like ten minutes and he appeared to pick up on it the fact she was falling for Jon.

I have a feeling Jorah will die during this expedition beyond the wall, perhaps by sparing Jon to die himself.

Perhaps Jorah will be the one to make Jon realise Daenerys is in love with him. He'll have realised himself that despite his own love for Daenerys, it will never be reciprocated, but Jon is a good man, worthy of Daenerys, so he would be willing to sacrifice himself to enable Jon and Daenerys to happen. 

Maybe I'm wrong, but I just can't see Jorah surviving this journey and given he was cured of greyscale, there would have to be a hell of a good reason to kill him off.

36 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

Dany started making eyes at Jon in the previous episode.

She's got it bad for Jon right now.  Too bad Jon shows no interest at all really or we'd have a romance going already.

Dany will need to basically jump on him or this thing will go nowhere.  Jon has no time for or interest in girls.

Emilia is doing a great job showing her character's growing affection for Jon without using words.

I think Jon has also been making eyes at Dany pretty much from the start.  I think in particular the cave scene from last week Jon was pouring it on pretty thick, something that didn't go unnoticed by Davos.  But I agree that Jon has not picked up on the reciprocation yet, which did start last week but certainly picked up in intensity this week.  

Just now, the tower of albion said:

They signed up for 7 then there was 8. They probably had to put their foot down to avoid HBO wanting to stretch it out further. If there wasn't a need  a season 8 from season 5 would probably of been the beginning of the end game, and now HBO wants to delay season 8 until 2019, which would just be unacceptable.

I read somewhere that D&D thought the perfect length of the show would be 72/73 episodes and that was their original outline for the show at the beginning.

We are getting 75?

I wish they'd had stretched it to 80 and put in a few more scenes of people on roads so that we'd have less complaining about time warps but then again.....that'd be boring as hell.

We've had enough character building and scenes of people trudging through the woods so I'm pleased they are moving from big event to big event.  It is tv, not a book.  The show needs to move quickly to finish up.

And I think D&D are tired of doing GoT now so I'm glad they decided to stick with it and give us a proper conclusion.  They could have done what that writer of Deadwood did and just said.....forget the ending.  A rushed ending is better than no ending.

Just now, the tower of albion said:

Fair point.  Like I said, I do feel bad for these guys.  This is not remotely what they signed up for and it seems as if they are hated by a large group of fans of the books (of which they are a part of that group) really by no fault of their own.  

Again though, while I understand why they really want to finish this and move on, I still feel like they owe it to fans and themselves to do it justice, which they simply don't have the time to do with the remaining episodes.  Even just like 5 more episodes I think would make all the difference in the world in terms of pacing and building things up properly.  

Having said all this, I'm enjoying the hell out of this season so far and will continue to do so until the end even though I felt like this most recent episode was not the best and really sloppy due to its rushed pace.  

4 minutes ago, Tagganaro said:

I think Jon has also been making eyes at Dany pretty much from the start.  I think in particular the cave scene from last week Jon was pouring it on pretty thick, something that didn't go unnoticed by Davos.  But I agree that Jon has not picked up on the reciprocation yet, which did start last week but certainly picked up in intensity this week.  

Eh,  I think Jon thinks she's attractive and has a good heart but I haven't got any sort of sexual vibe from Jon.  Davos line seemed rather forced and was more for a comedy line imo.

She's sexy.  Everybody can see that but Jon really hasn't flirted with her at all other than taking her by the hand in the cave.

Probably was having Ygritte cave flashbacks.

I do think Jon is attracted to her but I don't think he's falling for her nearly as hard as she's falling for him right now.

Archived