Winterfell In Danger?

Iron Mother

12 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Yeah time is limited so things could be missed out.

Definitely think Bran will find things/explanations in the crypts.

I like the idea of, history has a habit of repeating itself, so if it does then they stopped the others at Winterfell and pushed them back from there.

This time I believe its different,they will fully defeat the WWs for good thus destroying the time loop cycle.

The WW and AoD will make it past the wall in the Finale of Season 7.

If there is a battle at Winterfell it will happen a few episodes into season 8.

Personally I believe the WW want to go to the Isle of Faces, so for that reason I dont think they will go as far as KL.

I'm really thinking the show sets up for the battle of WF happening episode 3 or 4 of next season and it will most likely resolve the WW situation leaving two episodes to clean up what is left of the story.  Maybe as late as episode 5 with just one episode to wrap things up.

I don't think we get two major battles with the white walkers in 6 episodes so I'm thinking they have to win at the battle of Winterfell.

And I like the time loop idea too.  Also like the idea that right before the AoD arrives at WF something magical about Winterfell's defenses is discovered allowing them a chance to hold out there (actually win there).

3 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

I'm really thinking the show sets up for the battle of WF happening episode 3 or 4 of next season and it will most likely resolve the WW situation leaving two episodes to clean up what is left of the story.  Maybe as late as episode 5 with just one episode to wrap things up.

I think the main structure of season 6 will be

• Battle of Winterfell and defeat of WW
  • Clean up Cersei and co, if not already done so
  • Some pretty big relevantions into the history etc. Explaining alot of things we didnt know. 

I don't think we get two major battles with the white walkers in 6 episodes so I'm thinking they have to win at the battle of Winterfell.

I agree on this, we could fit in a few but its the Battle for the Dawn, one battle at one place.

And I like the time loop idea too.  Also like the idea that right before the AoD arrives at WF something magical about Winterfell's defenses is discovered allowing them a chance to hold out there (actually win there).

Yeah im a massive fan on the time loop theory, also Bran to me is definitely the NK. Winterfell has been made up to be so important and significant for it not to be magical. The crypts are definitely something of paramount importance.

5 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Lastly like all good castles are named they are actually a reference for something. So my guess would be Winterfell would be a metaphor for where the WWs brought winter and fell, or stopped.

That really depends on whether the fell in Winterfell is a verb, a noun, or an adjective.   

It could mean either 'place where winter is stopped', 'winter pelt', or 'fierce winter'.  

I wonder if GRRM has ever commented on it.  Might have to check out so spake Martin. 

On 8/16/2017 at 4:31 PM, Lord Okra said:

So you are saying the Dead Army will be resolved AT Winterfell?

If  that is the case, I would call it really cheap writing because Winterfell is not that far South.  Which means Westeros really was not in danger?  Sorry I don't know how else to say that right now.  I mean, it would dampen the WW Army threat significantly that they didn't even make it past there.

That's why I suggested and think it may happen that Winterfell ends up being evacuated and the Dead Army gets to a more Southern point.  But thinking how the show has gone now toward the end, I wouldn't be surprised if you are right and only get to Winterfell.  CHEAP with plot as they have been so far last season and now this one.

On 8/17/2017 at 0:10 AM, Iron Mother said:

IF NOT, then you have a scenario where a "final battle" with the Dead happens at Winterfell.  Don't you think the show will mean for the Dead to make it more South than that?  Even into the Capitol maybe?  If the last battle is at Winterfell, then that leaves the FINAL end to the show a battle between the squabbling human alliances.  I would think the Dead Fight would be the more impactful one and be the last one not the one before. 

Considering the pace the Army of the Dead has been moving at, my guess is that they will arrive at King´s Landing when Gilly´s baby dies of old age.

On 17/08/2017 at 2:12 AM, Samwell_Tarly said:

Yeah time is limited so things could be missed out.

Definitely think Bran will find things/explanations in the crypts.

I like the idea of, history has a habit of repeating itself, so if it does then they stopped the others at Winterfell and pushed them back from there.

This time I believe its different,they will fully defeat the WWs for good thus destroying the time loop cycle.

The WW and AoD will make it past the wall in the Finale of Season 7.

If there is a battle at Winterfell it will happen a few episodes into season 8.

Personally I believe the WW want to go to the Isle of Faces, so for that reason I dont think they will go as far as KL.

I think that 'the heart' of the Children's culture, I mean real culture and magic, is there and that's where the WW are heading.

Also, in the books Dany saw vision/dream of her riding a dragon and fighting with the ice army on the Trident, defeating that army. If I'm not mistaken, the Isle of Faces is not far from the Trident

On 8/16/2017 at 9:25 AM, DarkBastard said:

Winterfell will likely be the place where Winter eventually falls.

This.

"A song of ice and fire." It's being told from the future tense. Winterfell is where winter fell. As in defeated. Clever play on words.

Also, Bran is there. And he is a time Lord.

On 8/16/2017 at 6:31 PM, Lord Okra said:

I read somewhere an interesting theory that Winterfell itself is "Lightbringer". 

I'm pretty sure there is going to be a battle at Winterfell.

But in-universe, I don't know why the Night King would attack it.

Presumably there will be a huge army encamped and fortified there, and it's a magical place that may even be specifically designed to fight the White Walkers, and it's probably where Bran will be to guide the defenders.

So why not just walk around it? Leave a few thousand wights encircling it so nobody can come or go without mounting a full attack and leave everyone to sit inside the castle eating jerky and hardtack and, more importantly, not killing your wights.

Human armies have a hard time bypassing the roads in the North, but, as we saw with Stannis, that's because it means marching through a desolate frozen wasteland. Which isn't going to bother the Night King and his army much.

Once past Winterfell, there's nothing really to stop them. Moat Cailin is made to defend only against attacks from the South (just as the Wall is made to defend only against attacks from the North), and besides, they can probably freeze over the marshes and walk around that too. And then you're in the Riverlands. Millions of people scattered around just waiting to be killed and wighted.

If you want to go back and take out Winterfell after you've got the Isle of Faces and you've grown your army from 100K to 10M, it should be a lot easier. Or you can just leave them there for a few years—with the perma-winter now covering all of Westeros, they're all going to starve to death, volcanic hot springs or no.

Of course this is assuming that their goal is to conquer Westeros. If their goal is, say, killing Bran, or forcing Bran to time-travel and complete some loop, or capturing some magic artifact from the heart of Winterfell, or asking Littlefinger to find the NK a new Corpse Queen, then yeah, they have to attack Winterfell.

Archived