Bakker L - Unholy Consultation and Collaboration (Now with TUC Spoilers!)

.H.

1 hour ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

I was only aware that he'd said Cnaiur's arc was over, and I thought that was kind of ambiguous. Reading the whole quote I can't help but feel the people accusing him of lying or being dishonest are, themselves, being a bit disingenuous.

I'll grant you this one, yeah. I think I said this before but the first time I read this quote I didn't get the feeling that Cnaiur's story was over. If anything, I thought it clear Bakker was cheekily saying that Cnaiur's arc wasn't over. It's the 'has to end' not the 'beyond that', I don't know what that last one means. I could have changed my mind on it though in the meantime. 

And @madness I said it would be best for me to ignore everything that Bakker said in the AMA and go back to what we originally thought after reading the book, and you can go back and see that my first post after reading it was saying that I generally liked the book. I'm not sure if it's worth it to discuss anything in light of the AMA. Eta: (I guess I should have said this in the other thread.) 

To be clear, I'm not saying that others who thought this quote meant that Cnaiur was dead are lying or disengenious in any way, it should be clear why a lot of people will read that quote and interpret it that way. Also, I'm pretty sure that when Bakker was asked about this after TGO he said something like "I remember this half lie". So even he himself understands that he was half lying. 

5 minutes ago, Hello World said:

And @madness I said it would be best for me to ignore everything that Bakker said in the AMA and go back to what we originally thought after reading the book, and you can go back and see that my first post after reading it was saying that I generally liked the book. I'm not sure if it's worth it to discuss anything in light of the AMA. 

But why? When you know Bakker is gonna be cheeky and ambiguous in his answers, why do you put any stock in them? I love Bakker the author. And from all ive hear he is a very decent human being. But, when it comes to his life's work why should we receive answers that would spoil further plots. Why wouldn't you expect him to lead you down a path of your own choosing? If I was am author, I don't think in would do these AMA's. But, Bakker does think he is smarter than alot of us and expects his readers to get a semblance of what he's trying to do. He's playing mind games and is that so very unusual from a psychologist?

21 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

First of all, I'm not going to apologize for an eye-roll emoji. That's not a personal insult, lighten up.

Second, if you're going to call somebody a liar, you should know what their exact quote was. Hearing from somebody, who heard from somebody, who heard from somebody that X person did Y bad thing on the internet, and then spreading that rumor, is how a madman scammed his way into the White House last year.

I agree that I rushed to conclusions about Bakker's quote.

That being said, I haven't been sarcastic or demeaning to you at all. Why not treat me the same in return?

[mod] OK folks, a few reminders for those who maybe didn't know, and those who really do know better.

Two things we don't do on this board:

1. Discuss the affairs of other boards. Those are none of our business.

2. Discuss people who are, or may have been, suspended or banned. That's nobody's business but theirs and the moderators'.

In both cases you're talking about people who either aren't here or can't answer for themselves, and that's rude. They're not public figures and are not fair game. In any case the board is here to talk about books, not other users or other places. Stick to discussing Bakker's books, please. [/mod]

3 hours ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

Well, there was this one time GRRM tweeted a holiday card and the folks up North in the General forum took that to mean that he was counting down to TWoW being stealth released on the Winter Solstice... And then they started analyzing what sort of intricate plot details could be ciphered out based on the number of fish ornaments on the Tully themed Christmas tree or some such shit.

Yeah, I have not been north of the general miscellaneous thread in years... that way lies madness.

4 hours ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

But why? When you know Bakker is gonna be cheeky and ambiguous in his answers, why do you put any stock in them? I love Bakker the author. And from all ive hear he is a very decent human being. But, when it comes to his life's work why should we receive answers that would spoil further plots. Why wouldn't you expect him to lead you down a path of your own choosing? If I was am author, I don't think in would do these AMA's. But, Bakker does think he is smarter than alot of us and expects his readers to get a semblance of what he's trying to do. He's playing mind games and is that so very unusual from a psychologist?

Why do YOU put stock in them then? You can't have it both ways.

7 minutes ago, Hello World said:

Pun intended? 

:lol: 

No, certainly not after Mormont pulled out the mod hammer!  

5 minutes ago, Let's Get Kraken said:

When the Promised Day arrives, I move that we open our own Winds of Winter thread right here in the Lit section.

I would second that sentiment.  Keep it all to a single thread instead of the dedicated threads for each f'ing chapter that will pop up there.  Keep it to the book and not how the book and the show are different, etc.

ETA:  Might need a code word for the title... kinda like George Lucas had a secret title for RotJ to keep it secret.

5 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

Why do YOU put stock in them then? You can't have it both ways.

I said multiple times DR, that I take most of what he says with a grain of salt. When question about ambiguity in the series, he answers with ambiguity. In other instances he's straightforward and simple reading of it will tell which of the two hes doing.

30 minutes ago, Darth Richard II said:

And I keep telling you it doesn't work that way, but, whatever, keep to your delusions.

Explain to me why it doesn't work that way? Please. Your thoughts, not Kalbear, your mentor. 

He can be ambigious in certain questions and ambiguous in others. Its not hard. It's not hard to spot. I will give you examples of needed. But, since the onus is on you to explain to me why this can't be true, I leave it to you to explain. Please, everyone else do not chime in. I want to hear DR's answer and his alone. I don't mean this as an attack. I'm tired of your one-liners and your defaulting to Kalbear. Show me intellectual view why this can't be true. Please.

11 minutes ago, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Explain to me why it doesn't work that way? Please. Your thoughts, not Kalbear, your mentor. 

Yes, I am the emperor to Darth Dick. It's true. Fucker still never lets me forget the higher ground crap. 

He can be ambigious in certain questions and ambiguous in others. Its not hard. It's not hard to spot.

I especially appreciate the (sic) here. 

I will give you examples of needed. But, since the onus is on you to explain to me why this can't be true, I leave it to you to explain. Please, everyone else do not chime in. I want to hear DR's answer and his alone. I don't mean this as an attack. I'm tired of your one-liners and your defaulting to Kalbear. Show me intellectual view why this can't be true. Please.

Come on, @Darth Richard II, you can do it! This isn't a message board where anyone can reply to anyone, this is Fight Club! You got this, man!

Just now, Kalbear said:

Yes, I am the emperor to Darth Dick. It's true. Fucker still never lets me forget the higher ground crap. 

I especially appreciate the (sic) here. 

Come on, @Darth Richard II, you can do it! This isn't a message board where anyone can reply to anyone, this is Fight Club! You got this, man!

Anyone can reply Kalbear. And while your arguments are well thought and I respect you, regardless of what you might think. I feel if anyone is a troll in these threads it's DRII. He offers nothing other than what I stated above. Go ahead give your take. But, I will bet the house DRII response will be the mirror image of yours. That's why I asked for him to respond. 

All I see here is hate, pure childesh hate, pure and simple. But, he never answers anything. He refers people to other threads, calls on you to answer. I want an answer from him. He. An choose to ignore and that's fine, I'll know what I want to know. He knows Jack shit, only piggyback you and others who are fomenting the gate about these books. 

It's one of the basic tenants of logic. Something can't be both false and true at the same time. You seem to think it can. I don't know how much more clear I can make it, nor do I really care anymore. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go sacrifice some goats to my dark god kalbear, or, whatever.

Edit: Well yes my response usually mirror image kalbear's because we agree.  I don;t even know how to respond to the rest. If you think this is hate, man, I'm glad you weren't around in the Bakker and women days, you would have had a heart attack.

Just now, Michael Seswatha Jordan said:

Anyone can reply Kalbear. And while your arguments are well thought and I respect you, regardless of what you might think. I feel if anyone is a troll in these threads it's DRII. He offers nothing other than what I stated above. Go ahead give your take. But, I will bet the house DRII response will be the mirror image of yours. That's why I asked for him to respond. 

No, he's got this. I have faith in my servant. It is time for him to become the master. 

And man, I really appreciate that statement that some thing are ambiguous, and other things are ambiguous, and it's not hard to tell which is which. 

All I see here is hate, pure childesh hate, pure and simple.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

But, he never answers anything. He refers people to other threads, calls on you to answer. I want an answer from him. He. An choose to ignore and that's fine, I'll know what I want to know. He knows Jack shit, only piggyback you and others who are fomenting the gate about these books. 

I hope, one day, that my minions will realize our plan and truly forment the gate about these books. Soon we will crush the Jedi. Soon we  will open the gate to that world, and have our revenge. 

Archived