The identity of the Knight of the Laughing Tree

Ser Petyr Parker

For me after reading the KOLT story, to make thematic sense,

It has to be one of the stark kids(either ned or lyanna), or howland himself.

My reasons are

1) Motive for choosing only those knights whose squires had shamed howland

2) All the details/descriptions provided meera

3) Meera/Jojen surprised that Bran never heard the story

4) The laughing weirwood tree shield

5) Howland's loyalty to ned/lyanna for helping him either directly or indirectly in taking down those knights.

5 minutes ago, asoiaf_reader said:

For me after reading the KOLT story, to make thematic sense,

It has to be one of the stark kids(either ned or lyanna), or howland himself.

My reasons are

1) Motive for choosing only those knights whose squires had shamed howland

2) All the details/descriptions provided meera

3) Meera/Jojen surprised that Bran never heard the story

4) The laughing weirwood tree shield

5) Howland's loyalty to ned/lyanna for helping him either directly or indirectly in taking down those knights.

The laughing tree sigil shows a sense of humor.  That's not in keeping with Ned's personality.  He's not Mr. Merry.  Howland or Lyanna.  

7 hours ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Just my opinion but I think Meera and Jojen absolutely all but confirm that it was Lyanna. 

"There was one knight," said Meera, "in the year of the false spring. The Knight of the Laughing Tree, they called him. He might have been a crannogman, that one." 

"Or not." Jojen's face was dappled with green shadows. "Prince Bran has heard that tale a hundred times, I'm sure."

skip.....

When his fallen foes sought to ransom horse and armor, the Knight of the Laughing Tree spoke in a booming voice through his helm, saying, 'Teach your squires honor, that shall be ransom enough.' Once the defeated knights chastised their squires sharply, their horses and armor were returned. And so the little crannogman's prayer was answered . . . by the green men, or the old gods, or the children of the forest, who can say?"

skip...

"Oh." Bran thought about the tale awhile. "That was a good story. But it should have been the three bad knights who hurt him, not their squires. Then the little crannogman could have killed them all. The part about the ransoms was stupid. And the mystery knight should win the tourney, defeating every challenger, and name the wolf maid the queen of love and beauty."

I think this is GRRM giving several clues that Bran’s conclusion (the little crannogman which he mentions at least 3 times as the KOLT) is actually not the case and I believe with Jojen questioning Bran’s very limited knowledge of the “greatest tourney of them all” (and overall gag joke of Bran and his immediate family history) leads credence to Lyanna being the mystery knight. But the most telling quote is by Meera..

"Then, as now," she agreed. "The wolf maid saw them too, and pointed them out to her brothers. 'I could find you a horse, and some armor that might fit,' the pup offered. The little crannogman thanked him, but gave no answer. His heart was torn. Crannogmen are smaller than most, but just as proud. The lad was no knight, no more than any of hispeople. We sit a boat more often than a horse, and our hands are made for oars, not lances. Much as he wished to have his vengeance, he feared he would only make a fool of himself and shame his people. The quiet wolf had offered the little crannogman a place in his tent that night, but before he slept he knelt on the lakeshore, looking across the water to where the Isle of Faces would be, and said a prayer to the old gods of north and Neck . . ." 

This also makes Howland’s prayer answered in full circle as Meera’s quote about the little crannogmen’s prayer being answered by the old gods, cotf, green men, who can say? I can say I’ve never considered anyone other than Lyanna. Old god connection check, skills needed to win check, mis-matching armor + a horse her own brother said he could acquire check, reason to hide identity check. Otherwise all her horseback skills that are brought up so much makes no sense really. I really wouldn’t overthink this one.

Which part of those quotes are you taking as a confirmation of Lyanna? I can see the negations towards Howland... but still nothing that points to Lyanna.

13 hours ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Which ones? I don't think I was trying to invert anything. It actually seems to me to be pretty straightforward, but I know we all see things differently.

?

"make it both an echo and an inversion..."

KotLT's horse isn't really even mentioned, so comparing it to Loras' is pretty empty.

5 hours ago, Mordred said:

The laughing tree sigil shows a sense of humor.  That's not in keeping with Ned's personality.  He's not Mr. Merry.  Howland or Lyanna.  

Ned laughs plenty of times... What a sad misconception to say he's so depressing.

Robert was the Laughing Storm Reborn... his northerner best friend The Ned was a Laughing Tree.

6 hours ago, Mordred said:

And out of those two, Lyanna is the one with the riding skills, practice with the rings and a damn good reason to hide her identity :-)

8 hours ago, Eiko Dragonhorn said:

Which part of those quotes are you taking as a confirmation of Lyanna? I can see the negations towards Howland... but still nothing that points to Lyanna.

?

KotLT's horse isn't really even mentioned, so comparing it to Loras' is pretty empty.

That wasn’t what I said, but what I paste/quoted from someone else to add to the convo here so other people didn’t have to follow another link to read the info. That’s all. 

And tourneys have a way of repeating themselves in this series. :) Keep your eye on the fruit, er, I mean horse;) 

11 hours ago, Eiko Dragonhorn said:

?

Well if there are a limited # of candidates negating 1 candidate is a way of expressing opinion (all the points for Lyanna and quotes have been posted already)

50 minutes ago, One-eyed Misbehavin said:

Well if there are a limited # of candidates negating 1 candidate is a way of expressing opinion (all the points for Lyanna and quotes have been posted already)

Ah ok, “all but confirm” seemed like pretty strong positive support... not just an elimination.

I guess i should take it literally, the passages do everything except confirm Lyanna.

Maybe the title Knight of the Laughing Tree is a pun? >>> Knight of the Laughing Three

After he got offered armament and a mount by the three Stark sibblings, all the little crannogman still lacked was trust in his skills. So they assure him that no harm will come from his failing if he enters the lists as a mystery knight with his funny sigil. He will still triumph over those squires, when he is turned into a knight before they even can dream of such an honour. Maybe the Starks encouraged him further by arming him with weapons made of weirwood. Hence we see a laughing tree.

But I think what the three Starks really did, was to turn the crannogman's bullies into useless weapons. If your squire idly entertains himself in best company, he won't tend your armour, horse and lance as much as he should. So the Starks not only gave the crannogman horse and chainmail, but took that away from his opponents.

And to end this with a crackpot: The Knight of the laughing three are truly the three squires - each of them put into the armour to face their Sers to prove their greatness and to receive their punishment in return. A sucess in each way. Would they lose against the knights it would be a lesson in humility and if they win that belittles the knights they serve and not some little crannogman with a spear.

Archived