DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

On 8/16/2017 at 2:11 PM, Wolfgang I said:

https://dublin2019.com/

It's never too early to start a thread buy a membership! :) 

I got mine and I'm already looking forward to it. 

If you plan to attend DUBLIN 2019 you should also take a look at EUROCON 2019 in Belfast ( August 22-24 2019). 

I  plan to attend both.  Worked great for Loncon 3 followed by Eurocon Dublin and this will as well!!!   :-)  

7 hours ago, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

Will be at both. I've bought my membership for Dublin and just need to upgrade my supporting for TitanCon.....which I will probably do at TitanCon. Somebody remind me. :P

No hurry cos as you already have supporting membership your upgrade fee is locked in.  so You won't have to worry about future price hikes on the 1st October.

3 hours ago, Pebble said:

No hurry cos as you already have supporting membership your upgrade fee is locked in.  so You won't have to worry about future price hikes on the 1st October.

Well there we go. Only reason I didn't upgrade in Helsinki was because I couldn't remember how much I'd actually paid supporting wise. :P

Converted to attending in Helsinki,and by the Old Gods and the New, I'll be there if I have to fecking swim. Just the Worldcon, though. We'll have sightseeing plans elsewhere in Ireland after the con. Won't be in San Jose, though; between paying for this year and saving for Dublin '18's going to be lean for us.

Billy (not on the forums) and I have supporting memberships to Dublin and are generally planning on converting to attending. I've just messaged him (yes he's in the next room but this was easier) with all sorts of information about that and prices for Eurocon/TitanCon too, with the suggestion that we get supporting for that as well and then upgrade along the way.

So put us as yes for Dublin and I'll let you know when to convert us to orange. :D

• 2 weeks later...
On 23.8.2017 at 1:27 PM, SamanthaofHodorsfield said:

Will be at both. I've bought my membership for Dublin and just need to upgrade my supporting for TitanCon.....which I will probably do at TitanCon. Somebody remind me. :P

If I'd seen this before now, I'd have reminded you. Although I had no way to tell you where you are supporting wise. Could have asked Colin, though.

Oh well, as Pebble said you can always upgrade later at the current rate. :)

16 hours ago, Adz of CCAA said:

Although I had no way to tell you where you are supporting wise.

This was the problem in Helsinki as well, which is why I didn't upgrade there, as I can't find my email stating how much I supported by. I'll have to do it online so it goes to Colin who does have access to the database.

I'll probably make it to worldcon. 

Will bring the family, and my wife keeps linking me stuff about Iceland on Facebook, so probably will stop off there on route.  Maybe even bring the MiL to watch the kids (although she usually out drinks me, so not sure if that will work out the way I intend).

There's even a nonstop from LAX to Dub!

• 7 months later...

The following email was sent out to con members on 6 May, and may be of interest to those planning to attend.

This email contains very important information about hotels for Dublin 2019, An Irish Worldcon. Our general booking period is not scheduled to be open until January 2019, but this information is important enough that we wanted to share it with you as soon as we confirmed it.

For more detail about our hotel rates and terms, please go to the two links below. For general queries, please email [email protected]. For queries about accessible hotel reservations, or to get on the list for the Access hotel booking phase currently scheduled for December 2018, please email [email protected].

The Chair's latest blog post also covers this announcement and is available here: 
The full details are available on the Dublin 2019 hotel page: 

In short, we have been able to obtain great discounts on standard Dublin hotel prices, but they are still higher than we'd like and higher than recent Worldcon rates. In addition, the hotels are requiring terms that we had hoped to avoid.

The good:

• Discounts – We are offering discounts of 15% - 30% on most of our hotels' standard rates, and in some cases even up to nearly 40%.
  • Items included – The listed rates already include a full Irish breakfast and value-added tax (VAT, similar to US sales tax). 
  • Limited restrictions – The terms detailed later only apply to our hotels. We will also be offering en-suite student dorm rooms and a small number of off-site apartments, and we hope to offer more accommodation as time goes on.
  • More options – There are other services and options that may be even cheaper, including hostels, self-serviced apartments, etc.
  • Fully refundable until mid-May 2019 – It is possible to reserve as soon as booking is open and cancel without penalty up to 10th May 2019.

The disappointing:

• Cost – Dublin is expensive, and has a perpetual lack of hotel rooms. This, combined with being a popular destination for city breaks, means that our rates are still not as low as we’d like.
  • Payment in Full – When you book, the full amount for all the nights of your stay will be charged as a deposit. 
  • Refunds & Cancellations – Payment will be fully refundable if the booking is cancelled up to 10th May 2019 (just over 3 months out from the first night you can book at the convention rate). Beyond that date, it will be 50% refundable for another month. After 10th June 2019, the deposit will become non-refundable.
  • Block Expiration – You will not be able to book at the convention rate in these hotels after 10th June, as any unsold rooms in our block will have been returned to the hotels for sale on the open market – almost certainly at rates significantly higher than before.

What we’re doing to mitigate:

• Higher occupancy – We are still working with the hotels on offering triple or quad occupancy, which will help spread the cost.
  • Transfer service – Just as with memberships, we are looking to facilitate hotel booking transfers between members.
  • Continuing negotiations – We are still working with other providers to bring in more rooms, and hope to avoid these terms with them.
  • Other services – Although we cannot endorse any particular service, we are happy to let members know about nearby hostels and businesses like HomeAway, AirBnB, Rent.ie’s short let section, and so on.

As you can imagine, we wish we had better news to share with you. However, we wanted our members and potential members to be aware of this as soon as possible, so that you can make your own plans and decisions based on this information.

• 3 months later...

Billy (or Mr. LRH if you like) and I have attending memberships for both Dublin Worldcon and Eurocon/Titancon and we're very excited for next year! We're living in the Netherlands now (as of a week and a half ago), so it'll be "close" to us, except that we'll be in the US right before (running a convention August 9-11, 2019 in Denver), so it'll be jet lag for breakfast again (it's like a tradition now). Anything anyone would like us to bring from the US or Netherlands?

Just noticed I never posted here, and have edited ourselves into the list. Linda and I are definitely planning to be there for Worldcon. Less certain about Eurocon -- maybe both of us, maybe one of us, maybe neither of us -- but we're not dismissing it, in any case.

Archived