DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

8 hours ago, Wolfgang I said:

Are you planning a reading?

I believe I will be, yes :) It's one of my favourite things to do, even if I usually end up with about 4 people in the audience -- all from the BwB!

1 hour ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

Would you able to direct me to where I can find more information about the reading slots? If you have a timeline for the decision-making process, I'd really appreciate it.

Sorry, I don't know what the timeline is at the moment. My involvement is fairly peripheral. I'm sure it won't be long before we find out, though. A lot of authors are querying the programme team about it.

1 hour ago, Peadar said:

OK, I just got my final programme. @Quaithe from Asshai , this probably means  George has his too and I'd expect him to publicise it over on his blog any time now.

@Wolfgang I My own reading is on Sunday at 11am. You can watch it just before you go to bed ;) 

Thank you for sharing the news. 

Is the progremme posted somewhere online? 

1 minute ago, Quaithe from Asshai said:

Thank you for sharing the news. 

Is the progremme posted somewhere online? 

I expect it will be at Dublin's website in the next week or two, once everyone has had a chance to weigh in on any last minute tweaks they need due to scheduling issues.

On 7/26/2019 at 2:59 PM, Ran said:

I expect it will be at Dublin's website in the next week or two, once everyone has had a chance to weigh in on any last minute tweaks they need due to scheduling issues.

This. A few people need to confirm they are happy with their programme. So, there is still a chance that things might change.

That said, here's what Linda and I are up to at Worldcon, barring any changes:

Thursday

5PM Autograph Session (Linda & I, among others; this is going to be probably the surest way to get our scrawls on your TWoIaF to go along with GRRM's whenever his autograph session is)

9PM Horses for Writers (Linda)

Saturday

12PM Building Communities (Me)

5PM Game of Thrones and its End (Linda, and also Werthead and Charlie Jane Anders if there are no changes of plans)

Sunday

3PM Creating Healthy Communities (Me -- I admit, the description of this one and the one before it seem very similar! That said, I'm the only panelist in common, so it's bound to be somewhat different)

I've met Charlie Jane Anders a few times at local bookstore events in New York City.

I gave her a 30 page printout infopack on the Valyria prequel (if it comes up in conversation: "this crazy guy tried to hand me this leak dossier") (Shrug) it was worth a try.  It's the same one I already shared with Werthead and others.  

But the end of Game of Thrones is easy to explain: 'We reconceived the role to make it worthy of the actor's talents: to show off these performances and these faces".  Once you...unfocus your mind and think down to Benioff's level, of pure moment to moment impulse, you see the pattern (sort of like how book-Cersei's actions don't make sense until you read her POV chapters and realize she isn't thinking long-term like a normal person).  

On 7/2/2019 at 1:29 AM, Toft said:

I'd like to go to the exhibition on the Monday.

I should probably think of booking my transport at some point! Rest assured, I am going to both cons and at least have the accommodation sorted.

Just saw this, but we are now thinking of going Monday morning (earliest slot available, most likely) - you'd be the fifth in our group if that works for you!

33 minutes ago, ashayatara said:

Just saw this, but we are now thinking of going Monday morning (earliest slot available, most likely) - you'd be the fifth in our group if that works for you!

Ahhh, earliest slot available.... well.... it's not likely I will manage that. Are they limited? If they're not then I'll just see what time I wake up on the day. If the tickets are limited then I would have to pass on an early morning Monday slot. You know... experience ;-)

Hi everyone,

I’m kind of impress…

With other members of « la Garde de Nuit », the French fan’s website of ASOIAF, I will attend the Worldcon in Dublin (and I can’t wait to be there).

We would be very delighted to meet fans from everywhere and maybe share an ale (or two !) with you.

Let me know if some of you are interested by a meeting and / or if events are already scheduled.

As I said, I’m french, so I apologize by advance for my…. french.

Will there be some kind of group meeting/ meal together/ whatever this year?

As we're all spread out accomodation wise I'm not sure how to meet up with most of you.

You could come and look for me at the info desk, though, as I'm volunteering there again. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all and hopefully managing to attend some panels.

9 hours ago, Tomcat said:

Hi everyone,

I’m kind of impress…

With other members of « la Garde de Nuit », the French fan’s website of ASOIAF, I will attend the Worldcon in Dublin (and I can’t wait to be there).

We would be very delighted to meet fans from everywhere and maybe share an ale (or two !) with you.

Let me know if some of you are interested by a meeting and / or if events are already scheduled.

As I said, I’m french, so I apologize by advance for my…. french.

I don't want to speak for everybody, but my experience with the BwB is that we are *always" delighted to meet our counterparts from anywhere in the world. You will be very welcome in Dublin.

6 hours ago, Adz of CCAA said:

Will there be some kind of group meeting/ meal together/ whatever this year?

As we're all spread out accomodation wise I'm not sure how to meet up with most of you.

You could come and look for me at the info desk, though, as I'm volunteering there again. :)

Looking forward to seeing you all and hopefully managing to attend some panels.

I'd expect you'd find at least some BwB members hanging out together every night to go to restaurants, etc., often with people posting here or just organising informally.

However, it would be great if we could organise an official meet-'n'-greet, say, on the Thursday.

(I've heard no word about an actual BwB party but I stand ready to help in any way I can, including organising a venue if no plans yet exist, but I need to know very soon as I would want to get to Dublin in advance.)

Anyway, I'm always up for food/beer/whatever. This goes to anyone: PM me if you're new to the Ireland/UK side of the BwB and want to swap contact details so I can keep you informed of anything spontaneous.

17 minutes ago, Toft said:

However, it would be great if we could organise an official meet-'n'-greet, say, on the Thursday.

I would be up for a group meetup on Thursday.  I know there is a Wild Cards trivia panel with GRRM and Peadar on Thursday afternoon which presumably a number of people from here might go to.  Arranging something after that might be doable since a number of us would already be grouped together for it.

Archived