DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

TitanCon needs volunteers.  It needs them for all roles.  especially helping out during the days

We also need someone to organise and run the Karaoke or there won't be one.

Seriously this is a small job requiring just one evening of having fun.

We have mikes, we have a laptop and internet access.  - ya just need to run the list on the night and find the songs, and call out peoples names to come and sing / screech at us.

The current committee all have lots of their own stuff to do and can't take on more.

I would love to help with the touristy stuff, but I won't have much free time this month -- I'm moving out of my house on the 28th! Along with WorldCon and TitanCon and visitors staying over it's all going to be a bit full on :o 

My apologies to you all!

I've never run a karaoke event before, but I'm willing to give it a go if needed.

Sort of have some things going on (e.g. tourism) that will take me away from the con for a bit, on Thursday and Friday, but if there's a volunteer desk I can drop by  when free and see what needs doing.

On 8/7/2019 at 11:28 PM, Lil Red Head said:

Hi all!

T-shirt information (long, so feel free to skip if N/A):

The total cost was $848.32 (USD). There were 41 shirts requested which would be $20.69 per shirt. However, by ordering 52 shirts the per-shirt price lowered so that the final cost was only a few dollars more. (There's usually a few people who missed the signups, etc., so I figured it was worth it.) 

I can pick up the shirts Thursday afternoon (August 15) around 5:30 - 6 pm, so I'll have them with me from then on. So get your shirts from me early in the con! :D

If everyone pays $20 per shirt and a few of the extras get picked up, I will be able to cover the costs. I've set up a PayPal Me, so you can send money to PayPal.Me/NikkiEbright. You should be able to pay by your PayPal account or credit card. (If I'm wrong, we'll work something out.) Please let me know which order you are paying for so I can keep track! Alternately, you can give me cash in person; I will take Euros (€18), USD ($20), or Pounds Sterling (£17)!

Let me know if you have any questions and than you all for joining me on this fun endeavour!

Hi Nikki! I will pay you person in Dublin because PayPal charges me with the transfer - I don't know why, maybe due to my bank account in Spain linked to my PayPal? I ordered my tshirt this Monday (size Medium, male, javimgol@gmail if you don't know me).

It's my first Worldcon and I am super excited!! I have been in a Eurocon before (where I had a panel with E&L https://lossietereinos.com/video-de-la-charla-en-la-eurocon-con-elio-y-linda-de-westeros-org-y-alejo-cuervo-y/) and to several Celsius 232 Festival here in Spain, but it's my first time in the big event and I am really looking forward to meet all this amazing community I have been following online so many years. It's a pity I won't be able to attend Titancon but my money and holidays are limited ^^

21 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Great!  Let me know what dates you'll be there and what dates work for you?  For example, does the Tuesday after the con work for you for going to Gelndalough?

For anyone interested in going to Glengalough (or anyone who has experience getting there), I've found this bus which goes direct from Dublin there but it leaves midday and would then limit the time we have there and I'm wondering if anyone knows of any other options?

http://www.glendaloughbus.com/default.aspx

There are also day trip tours that go there but they also go to multiple other locations so again, time limited.

We're definetely free on Tuesday (20th August). Maybe on Monday too for a bit, depending on what's still going on at the Con.

Thank you for organising!

Just to say, re: Belfast, that Kevin Andrew Murphy no longer needs a room up there. However, he has a spare bed of his own if somebody wants to share... Let me know and I'll pass it on.

Does anyone need a Titancon membership? It turns out that I cannot enter the UK via Ireland the first on my current visa as it has to be activated etc etc- so I cannot go to Titancon and have to fly back to the US before moving to the UK. 

So I’m bummed/devastated but c’est la vie. If my membership can be of use to anyone let me know. Or let @mormont know because I check this site very infrequently. 

I’m moving to the uk to get a graduate degree in Science Fiction and am moving in with @mormont who I met at a Worldcon, so I’m bummed about Titancon, but I win at life. 

We arrive in Dublin on Tuesday and are staying at The Spencer. Can’t wait to see everyone and if I’ve been MIA it’s because I have been busy doing ALL THE THINGS. 

xx

2 hours ago, IDreamofMareep said:

So I’m bummed/devastated but c’est la vie. 

We arrive in Dublin on Tuesday and are staying at The Spencer. Can’t wait to see everyone and if I’ve been MIA it’s because I have been busy doing ALL THE THINGS. 

Sad to hear you won't be at both conventions, but pleased to hear I'll see you, @mormont, and the spawn in Dublin. I'm also arriving there on Tuesday, staying at the Maldron/Pearse St. Maybe we'll catch up over dinner that night before things get too hectic.

On 8/9/2019 at 7:04 AM, Alytha said:

We're definetely free on Tuesday (20th August). Maybe on Monday too for a bit, depending on what's still going on at the Con.

Thank you for organising!

Great!  I'm heading to Ireland today so will be less online this next week until the convention but we can chat there and figure out the details.  See you next week!

3 hours ago, IDreamofMareep said:

Does anyone need a Titancon membership? It turns out that I cannot enter the UK via Ireland the first on my current visa as it has to be activated etc etc- so I cannot go to Titancon and have to fly back to the US before moving to the UK. 

So I’m bummed/devastated but c’est la vie. If my membership can be of use to anyone let me know. Or let @mormont know because I check this site very infrequently. 

I’m moving to the uk to get a graduate degree in Science Fiction and am moving in with @mormont who I met at a Worldcon, so I’m bummed about Titancon, but I win at life. 

xx

thats a real bummer.  especially as (until No deal brexit) there will be no boarder checks and free movement between over the boarder.

Its a shame time wise you can't come to both, then flyback to activate your visa (shame you need to fly back at all really)

On 8/9/2019 at 8:45 AM, Ran said:

I've never run a karaoke event before, but I'm willing to give it a go if needed.

Sort of have some things going on (e.g. tourism) that will take me away from the con for a bit, on Thursday and Friday, but if there's a volunteer desk I can drop by  when free and see what needs doing.

8 minutes ago, Toft said:

I will run the karaoke.

Ran, if you could assist, I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you,  this is really great news.  If you can both run it together will be awesome and you get to share the load.

I'll get our head of program @MultiClassGeek to message you about when we can do this.  We have all the equipment needed, so its just the actually running it that evening and keeping a list of who is singing what.

Oh on a seperate note

I need your Help. It will take 5 mins or less.

We (TitanCon) would like to put on a game show styled quiz. we need people to give us answers our panellists will need to try and guess. Please click the link and fill in the survey. Try to answer each question quickly and not give really clever answers. https://docs.google.com/…/1FAIpQLSdDFYd7U8yJ8LFRc…/viewform…

All answers are anonymous. Please only fill in the survey once. You don't have to be coming to TitanCon to give me answers.

Oh if you spot a spelling error, please let me know and I will edit.

Archived