DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

On 8/6/2019 at 9:11 AM, lady narcissa said:

Looking forward to seeing everyone next week!

In the event anyone has time and interest for doing some touristy things when in Dublin, I thought I'd throw out a couple of things I'm considering doing outside of Dublin usual touristy things...

- Taking the boat to Howth and having a stroll around the coast there.  The boat leaves from right near the convention center on the river.  Then it is a quick train ride back to Dublin.  This would be contingent on it not pouring.  Probably a half a day trip.   Some of us went to Howth when attending Octocon back in 2009(?) and really enjoyed it. http://www.visithowth.ie/

I might be up for a half day trip to Howth depending on the day. 

On 8/10/2019 at 4:17 PM, IDreamofMareep said:

Does anyone need a Titancon membership? It turns out that I cannot enter the UK via Ireland the first on my current visa as it has to be activated etc etc- so I cannot go to Titancon and have to fly back to the US before moving to the UK. 

So I’m bummed/devastated but c’est la vie. If my membership can be of use to anyone let me know. Or let @mormont know because I check this site very infrequently. 

I’m moving to the uk to get a graduate degree in Science Fiction and am moving in with @mormont who I met at a Worldcon, so I’m bummed about Titancon, but I win at life. 

We arrive in Dublin on Tuesday and are staying at The Spencer. Can’t wait to see everyone and if I’ve been MIA it’s because I have been busy doing ALL THE THINGS. 

xx

As Pebble said, there is currently no border and absolutely no way of checking anybody going from Dublin to Belfast. If you already knew that, sorry for the excess info!

15 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

don't you get random police checks? Or would that be too political?

No.

Between UK and Ireland there are is free movement of peoples, as per the Good Friday Agreement and the End of the Troubles.

This is one of the things that makes the backstop such a necessary thing.

You might need to return to make sure your Visa is vaild before starting work / Education.  but no-one will check on the boarder Yet.  and being on vacation is different than staying.

6 minutes ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

yeah, I thought this might be a different situation then the rest of the EU. You sometimes get random checks within the Schengen area.

you don't even need your passport to fly between London and Dublin, (well the airline my insist on it, but legally you don't need it.

Boarder checks where a big thing of tension and a flash point during the troubles.  Also the boarder has been so open for years now, that houses have been built over it.  Its gonna be kind of hard to erect a physical boarder after No Deal.  Almost as hard as building a wall between the US and Mexico, but more politically charged and more hated.

Folks, thank you for the well-meant advice, but please believe me, if there was any possibility of @IDreamofMareep and I attending TitanCon we would 100% be there. 

See you all tomorrow evening! Myself and my youngest offspring will be arriving at Dublin airport at 19:15 if anyone wants to split a cab?

ETA - beg pardon, that's 16:15 not 19:15.

Anyone has tickets for the coach tour and/or Feast (TitanCon) that they’re not gonna use? I was unsure if I was gonna be able to take time off work to go until recently. Now that I know I will go, there are no more tickets available for either event. And I’m looking for 2 tickets for each, so if anyone has them, please PM me and I’ll buy them via PayPal or transfer. Cheers. 

I'm getting into Dublin Thursday lunchtime-ish and heading up to Belfast on Tuesday. The only things on my WorldCon schedule at the moment are the 3 panels I'm on ("Space Opera" Friday 10am, "Narrative & the Dollar" Saturday 12pm and "Winter Came" Saturday 5pm).

10 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Anyone has tickets for the coach tour and/or Feast (TitanCon) that they’re not gonna use? I was unsure if I was gonna be able to take time off work to go until recently. Now that I know I will go, there are no more tickets available for either event. And I’m looking for 2 tickets for each, so if anyone has them, please PM me and I’ll buy them via PayPal or transfer. Cheers. 

Its technically too late for the feast, although we might be able to add couple of meals.

I won't be able to find this out until titan con starts.  but if you want in send me an E-mail [email protected] with your meal choices.  - you will have to pay in cash.

as for the coach tour,  ask me in a couple of days.  I have someone who wanted a couple of tickets but since they became available a last week I've not heard from again after asking for payment.  If they don't make the deadline I've given them, then I'll sell them to you.

On 8/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, Alytha said:

We're definetely free on Tuesday (20th August). Maybe on Monday too for a bit, depending on what's still going on at the Con.

Thank you for organising!

I return to Madrid on Wednesday (21st), very early, but I have free that Tuesday (20th). My plan is to check all the centre of Dublin (Guiness factory museum, the Cathedral and the Colleges) tomorrow, Wednesday the 14th, the day I arrive.

So I would love to visit Gelndalough that day if anyone else is coming. The schedule is fine, I guess, we have enough time to see it and return. 

On 8/9/2019 at 2:04 PM, Alytha said:

We're definetely free on Tuesday (20th August). Maybe on Monday too for a bit, depending on what's still going on at the Con.

Thank you for organising!

I return to Madrid on Wednesday, but I have free that Tuesday. I would love to visit those hills with you if

1 hour ago, Javi Marcos said:

I return to Madrid on Wednesday (21st), very early, but I have free that Tuesday (20th). My plan is to check all the centre of Dublin (Guiness factory museum, the Cathedral and the Colleges) tomorrow, Wednesday the 14th, the day I arrive.

So I would love to visit Gelndalough that day if anyone else is coming. The schedule is fine, I guess, we have enough time to see it and return. 

I have been told that Cliffs of Maher really deserve a visit. It's a longer trip than Glendalough but some friends have been there and explained it's amazing

34 minutes ago, Javi Marcos said:

I return to Madrid on Wednesday, but I have free that Tuesday. I would love to visit those hills with you if

I have been told that Cliffs of Maher really deserve a visit. It's a longer trip than Glendalough but some friends have been there and explained it's amazing

Much longer-other side of the country.Three hours by road.Worth it and plenty of other sights to see down that way as well.

Hi everyone

After two years absence and with the way I let people down by walking away from TitanCon I totally understand that there will be some people not very happy to hear from me now. But with WorldCon and EuroCon just about to start I wanted to resurface and take this chance to say how thrilled I am with the way TitanCon is shaping up and to offer my very best wishes for a successful convention. I really hope everything goes well and that you pull it all off in the most sensational way possible!

I am sorry that I won't be able to make it to Dublin or Belfast. Unfortunately there is just no way that I can afford to make the trip at this time. I am going to miss out on meeting up with so many great BWB friends, many of you I have not seen in years and I wish I could have been there to say hello and join in the fun. I should also apologise for interrupting this thread which is getting excited about the upcoming cons, don't mean to bring the tone down a notch, sorry y'all. Maybe raise a glass to the old Mountain Goat at TitanCon won't ya?

I also want to say a huge thank you to everyone that has stepped into the breach and done the hard graft to make TitanCon 2019 possible. Thank you to Richard Bissmire, @Pebble @Werthead @MultiClassGeek @TitanCat and everyone else that has done such an amazing job putting this convention together. I wish that I could have remained involved but I really would not have had the time to dedicate to it over the last two years and I would not be where I am now if I had remained.

For those that are interested, I am good and very happy with life at the moment. I'm now a home owner for the first time and engaged to be married next year. The amount of time and effort that was required to find this lovely home and decorate it top to bottom was a full time job in itself. I simply would not have had the time to run a convention on top of that. But still, I very much regret the way that I left things with all my friends at TitanCon and I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me in time.

Good luck to all of you with everything at WorldCon and EuroCon. Have a brilliant time. Wish I could have been there, I'm sorry, but I really hope both Conventions turn out to be amazing. Rock on!

16 minutes ago, theMountainGoat said:

Maybe raise a glass to the old Mountain Goat at TitanCon won't ya?

Most definitely!

Sorry to hear I won’t be seeing you there, but otoh very happy that you’re happy and things are good. And congrats on the upcoming nuptials! :cheers:

Arrived in Belfast today.  Sunny and good weather! (For Ireland).   

Fyi for folks coming to belfast next week, the convention center here has some giant GOT exhibition. 

Also for the complete travel newbs, remember Belfast uses GBP, not Euros.  

Archived