DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

1 hour ago, Cuellar said:

Also for the complete travel newbs, remember Belfast uses GBP, not Euros.  

Another thing to note - Ireland uses British style three pin plugs, so pack the right adaptors for your electronics.

1 hour ago, Cuellar said:

Arrived in Belfast today.  Sunny and good weather! (For Ireland).   

Fyi for folks coming to belfast next week, the convention center here has some giant GOT exhibition. 

Also for the complete travel newbs, remember Belfast uses GBP, not Euros.  

OMG, man, Worldcon is on Dublin, didn’t you know?

:p 

eta: I see there is rain forecast almost every day for the next week! Bring an umbrella!

4 hours ago, theMountainGoat said:

For those that are interested, I am good and very happy with life at the moment. I'm now a home owner for the first time and engaged to be married next year. The amount of time and effort that was required to find this lovely home and decorate it top to bottom was a full time job in itself. I simply would not have had the time to run a convention on top of that. But still, I very much regret the way that I left things with all my friends at TitanCon and I hope that you can find it in your heart to forgive me in time.

Good luck to all of you with everything at WorldCon and EuroCon. Have a brilliant time. Wish I could have been there, I'm sorry, but I really hope both Conventions turn out to be amazing. Rock on! 

It's good to hear from you, and that things are going so well. It's a pity you can't make either of the Conventions, but hopefully we'll see you again at some future event.

Belfast is roughly twice the size of Amiens, or 2/3rds the size of Helsinki.

Northern Ireland, like the rest of the United Kingdom, uses pound sterling as the local currency. Some businesses do accept euros, although they’ll usually set their own exchange rate, which may not be favourable. Be aware that NI bank notes are not commonly accepted in the rest of the UK, despite them ostensibly being of the same currency.

- Qthulhu's Guide

Aww  @theMountainGoat so wonderful to hear from you.

You are much lo ed and very missed by the Titancon people.  No hard feelings at all.  And you were forgiven as soon as the initial shock wore off.  We know you made a very hard decision and a personally painful one to you.  But it was the right one so no-one will ever hold it against you.

We would love to catch up sometime, and wish you were coming.  But hey getting married,  congrats.  That's awesome. So happy for you both.

Reposting what I put on FB about an hour ago for the non-FB users among us.

Wednesday 4 am t-shirt information update:

MY PLAN: Thursday night, wherever we end up for the BWB party (Bueller, Bueller?) I'll bring the shirts and hubby; he will track shirts and payment as they are given out (I'm so glad for him!) If we have no party plans, I'll pick a bar or something and y'all can meet me there!

To prep, I'm going through all the posts and adding any information to my shirt spreadsheet. For preorders I'm noting things like paid via PayPal or paying at con. For folks that missed getting in on the order, I'm noting time and date of the request and as much info as I can, such as name, size, and anything else mentioned.

I plan to fulfill non-preorders in date/time order (with whatever we have available) as that seems fairest. LMK if I should override that for certain folks (life always has exceptions). Already I'm sure we have more demand than supply :( but I'll do what I can. I might be able to go up or down a size onsite to help out.

Thanks, everyone!

Maybe a weird question: I'm considering bringing my World of Ice and Fire book with me to have autographed by GRRM, Elio, and Linda if possible.

1. Is that weird, and 2. would it be better to carry it around at Worldcon or Titancon/Eurocon? Thanks!

3 minutes ago, Lil Red Head said:

Maybe a weird question: I'm considering bringing my World of Ice and Fire book with me to have autographed by GRRM, Elio, and Linda if possible.

1. Is that weird, and 2. would it be better to carry it around at Worldcon or Titancon/Eurocon? Thanks!

Why would it be weird? All of them have signing session at Worldcon (GRRM has two I think). 

1 hour ago, Lil Red Head said:

If you try to get it signed at worldcon, but miss out due to  queue length you can get it done at Titancon.

Titancon should have a shorter queue.  And it's a seated queue. But if we have more than expected we will have to stop people joining at some point.  If you wait there is a risk you will miss out, but it's unlikely.

15 hours ago, theMountainGoat said:

After two years absence and with the way I let people down by walking away from TitanCon I totally understand that there will be some people not very happy to hear from me now.

We miss you! 

Sorry you won't be able to make it to the con, but we should organise a nice (free!) games day some time to catch up! 

7 hours ago, Ran said:

@Lil Red Head

We've signed plenty of books, so that is not weird! But if you want Linda's signature, best bring it to Worldcon, as Linda can't attend Titancon.

I was thinking it's kind of weird to fangirl over someone in a social group; where's the line between peer and fan?

7 hours ago, Pebble said:

If you try to get it signed at worldcon, but miss out due to  queue length you can get it done at Titancon.

Titancon should have a shorter queue.  And it's a seated queue. But if we have more than expected we will have to stop people joining at some point.  If you wait there is a risk you will miss out, but it's unlikely.

3 hours ago, Filippa Eilhart said:

John did ask if we're bringing ours to be signed but I said I'm not carrying it all over Dublin :p

Hubby and I were just having a conversation about our bags. We have an 8 kilo limit each, and while the book is amazing and gorgeous, I think I will too leave it home. I'm also thinking I'd rather be volunteering for the cons than standing in lines, so if I get autographs, cool (maybe on a page of the program that I'll be carrying around anyway), and if not, hopefully we'll meet up and socialize. Autographs are cool but time with friends is far more valuable anyway.

On 8/13/2019 at 3:42 PM, theMountainGoat said:

Hi everyone

After two years absence and with the way I let people down by walking away from TitanCon I totally understand that there will be some people not very happy to hear from me now.

Sod that, you are missed and appreciated. It's great to hear your happy news. Take care of yourself!

16 hours ago, Lil Red Head said:

Reposting what I put on FB about an hour ago for the non-FB users among us.

Wednesday 4 am t-shirt information update:

MY PLAN: Thursday night, wherever we end up for the BWB party (Bueller, Bueller?) I'll bring the shirts and hubby; he will track shirts and payment as they are given out (I'm so glad for him!) If we have no party plans, I'll pick a bar or something and y'all can meet me there!

To prep, I'm going through all the posts and adding any information to my shirt spreadsheet. For preorders I'm noting things like paid via PayPal or paying at con. For folks that missed getting in on the order, I'm noting time and date of the request and as much info as I can, such as name, size, and anything else mentioned.

I plan to fulfill non-preorders in date/time order (with whatever we have available) as that seems fairest. LMK if I should override that for certain folks (life always has exceptions). Already I'm sure we have more demand than supply :( but I'll do what I can. I might be able to go up or down a size onsite to help out.

Thanks, everyone!

I don't have you on Facebook so I will be checking this group in order to meet the BwB gang and get the t-shirt :)

Archived