DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

On 8/11/2019 at 2:45 PM, beniowa said:

I might be up for a half day trip to Howth depending on the day. 

Great!  Well when you and anyone else interested in Howth gets a better idea of your schedules and has a day that works in mind, let me know.

On 8/13/2019 at 4:32 AM, Javi Marcos said:

I have been told that Cliffs of Maher really deserve a visit. It's a longer trip than Glendalough but some friends have been there and explained it's amazing

I've just been yesterday and they are really fantastic and worth seeing.  I don't know that its worth traveling all the way across Ireland as a day trip, however.  Unless its your only trip ever to Ireland and this is your one and only chance to see them.  Then perhaps, maybe.  I've been staying on the west coast the past few days so it was an easy journey there for me but there is so much to see in the area and it would be better to wait till you have some time to see the area properly I think.

Anyway, I'll be heading over to Dublin tomorrow.  Probably won't get to the con area until 5/6ish.  If any plans arise for meeting up for dinner or later in the evening, if someone could post here or send me a PM it would be appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

missed the queue cutoff for the "Winter Went" panel, sadly, hoped I might at last run in to some of you at that one.

Missed it because it was Suicine Raid day for Pokémon Go and some of us went out raiding!

Just in case anyone American is passing through Omagh in the next few days -

Ulster American Folk Park

The Ulster American Folk Park is a collection of buildings relocated from across the entire island, and even some from the United States. It is themed around the experience of emigrants as they journeyed to the “New World”. If you’re “Irish-American” then you can participate in the time-honoured tradition of visiting the nearby Centre for Migration Studies, and asking if the staff know which boat the Murphys/Kellys arrived on in the States, on the East Coast, sometime in the 1800s, I think, well I assume it was then, are they related to Bono?

The park is, for the most part, wheelchair-accessible - although due to the nature of the buildings there is no wheelchair access to upper levels.

EDIT - Any further info on the various kaffeeklatsch sessions? Planning my con schedule and so far it looks like I can get away with not actually needing to get any time off work.

Doing dinner at The Hole in the Wall at 7 pm tonight. Least 5 of us Will be there. Probably getting there for a pint around 6.

Also, planning guiness tour at 4 if anyone wants to go. Will leave from con after saying goodbyes post george panel.

Made it back to the US without issues. The departure from Dublin was delayed by 1 hr, but some reason we do customs & immigration there, so was still able to catch my connecting flight in Charlotte.

It was great meeting new people, and seeing again some of the ones I met in Kansas City.

Dublin Airport is very proud of being on the preclearance list, although Shannon Airport also has preclearance for private aircraft (we can dream, @Corvinus).

I understand that it saves something like two hours on the whole process. There was a bit of a flap a few years back when it looked like they might drop the facility, given that it offers a massive advantage to Irish airports compared to those in Northern Ireland or the rest of the UK. Money magically appeared and I believe they're either in the process of, or have recently completed, expansions to the facilities.

I was planning to do tourist stuff today but am tired and also the weather is miserable so I am in the Lally deader dog party in Ryan's Bar. If anyone is bored this evening, PM or email.The train tomorrow is 15:20.

I had a wonderful time at both Dublin and TitanCon.  It was great to hang out with old and new friends,  people If considered friends for years and finally got to meet in person.

I want to thank you all for making these cons such a great success.

Love to all.

Pebs

I could write forever about how much delight the last two weeks have brought me, but right now, I simply want to thank everyone involved in both Worldcon and Titancon for everything they have done. The island of Ireland will surely not see anything like this again in a long time. Well done.

I absolutely did not get to spend enough time with you lovely people at Worldcon, but treasured the time I did.

Getting to register Ran was fun. Apologies again for the special character issue. Those label printers were the devil.

8 hours ago, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I had a wonderful time at both Dublin and TitanCon.

I sadly had to miss out on WC, but TC was as wonderful as I remembered. 

It was great to hang out with old and new friends,  people If considered friends for years and finally got to meet in person.

Ditto!

That's you, Pebs. I know there were many people involved in making TC as amazing as it was (as usual), and I deeply apologise for not knowing all the names. But Pebs, you're the glue keeping it all together - and awesome! Xxx

Love to all.

Pebs

Ditto!

:cheers:

Hi folks,

I had a tremendous time at both WorldCon and TitanCon. It was one of the busiest periods of my life and I am shamed how little time I had to spend with my friends, but you all seemed to be enjoying yourselves. Some of you, I didn't see at all or saw speeding by in the distance. One of these, I'm pretty sure was @lady narcissa, but she was wearing sunglasses and didn't seem to recognise me, so I thought, no bother, I'll see her later on. Never happened and there were others too, I told I'd have coffee with and I never did. Sorry for that.

Many thanks to those who organised everything and kept the cons flowing.

I have finally finished moving out of my house and am sick in bed with the Con Lurgy from hell. I plan to stay here a few days if I can. Good luck to you all!

On 8/27/2019 at 2:03 PM, Pebble thats Stubby said:

I had a wonderful time at both Dublin and TitanCon.  It was great to hang out with old and new friends,  people If considered friends for years and finally got to meet in person.

Love to all.

Pebs

Love it all. A perfect honorary Stubby.

Archived