DUBLIN 2019: An Irish Worldcon August 15-19 2019

On 4/19/2019 at 1:06 AM, DaveAx said:

I'm quite interested in the side dish of "Young spinach and mescalin leaves."
While I suspect this is a typo, a hallucinogenic salad might make for some interesting parties later in the evening.

Spelling was provided by the chef.  I think you are thinking of Mescaline   (so would still be a typo)

I'm sure what we will actually get is Mescalun leaves

Officially going to TitanCon. Got my membership, flying into Dublin on Tuesday morning, August 20th, got hotel reservations in Belfast for Wednesday-Monday. Flying home out of Dublin on Tuesday the 27th. The Hilton seemed booked Saturday night, so I got a cheaper hotel about half a mile down the street, near city hall. It's called EasyHotel, in case someone else wants to check it out.

I still need to plan a place to stay my first and last nights in Ireland, and transport between Dublin and Belfast. If anyone knows of any cool relevant stuff going on, like special train or coach rides between the two, I'd love to hear about it.

23 minutes ago, Jae Targ said:

Officially going to TitanCon. Got my membership, flying into Dublin on Tuesday morning, August 20th, got hotel reservations in Belfast for Wednesday-Monday. Flying home out of Dublin on Tuesday the 27th. The Hilton seemed booked Saturday night, so I got a cheaper hotel about half a mile down the street, near city hall. It's called EasyHotel, in case someone else wants to check it out.

I still need to plan a place to stay my first and last nights in Ireland, and transport between Dublin and Belfast. If anyone knows of any cool relevant stuff going on, like special train or coach rides between the two, I'd love to hear about it.

If you are travelling on Wednesday to Belfast then you could get the Dave Lally organised train ride.  please note this is not an official trip from either of the Cons, but something privately arranged.  I believe there will be a large group of people on the Lally Train and he has reserved a carriage.  If you PM me your E-mail I can pass your details on to Dave Lally.  be warned he does not always write in full sentences and used some strange abbreviations.

I myself and a smallish group are travelling to Belfast on the Tuesday.  anyone wanting to join the Pebble train is more than welcome.

As for the Hotel being booked, the Hotel seems to be releasing rooms gradually and shifting blocks from 3 night to 4 nights gradually.  If people can't get the booking you want when you try its best to E-mail the hotel they may be able to help you or or try again the next day.  

3 hours ago, mcbigski said:

If i make it i may do all of titancon and some portion of worldcon.  What night is the main BWB party and might it involve my singing Manilow?

I can almost guarantee (I'm not incharge of programming) that there will be karaoke at least one evening at TitanCon.  It won't be an official BWB party since its run by TitanCon itself which consists of a core group of Eurobased BWB and special friends.  I also can't tell you what night / nights this will be.

As for WorldCon  I have no idea what if anything is planned.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:01 AM, Pebble said:

I can almost guarantee (I'm not incharge of programming) that there will be karaoke at least one evening at TitanCon.  It won't be an official BWB party since its run by TitanCon itself which consists of a core group of Eurobased BWB and special friends.  I also can't tell you what night / nights this will be.

As for WorldCon  I have no idea what if anything is planned.

Up to now, the TitanCon Karaoke has always been on Saturday night. However, this is EuroCon year, so only programming know the truth...

• 2 weeks later...

BWB Worldcon T-Shirts:

I don't want to step on any toes, so if someone is already on this or is the usual suspect, lmk and I'll help them. Otherwise - I haven't heard anything concrete about BWB t-shirts for Dublin Worldcon. I absolutely love my Sansa one from a few years ago (Spokane?) and really look forward to the idea of another BWB shirt (not that I'm lacking in the t-shirt area...)

Under the nonprofit Shiny Garden, I'm running a convention in Denver the week before Worldcon. We will have a shirt printer onsite, and I can get shirts done on demand with them. I don't know how good the quality is, but two of our other cons have used them this year and say they're happy with the results.

Also, I have used another shirt vendor, TShirtSpot, for larger quantities (50+) and have been happy with their cost and quality.

So I could coordinate printing shirts pretty easily.

The harder part would be figuring out how to get them from the US to Dublin. We fly on Monday the 12th from Denver to Amsterdam, and then from Ams to Dublin on Weds the 13th. We're on budget airlines, so minimal luggage space available. I could also reach out to Dublin and see if there's a shirt printer they're using that we could also use.

I also am not a graphic designer, so I'd need someone else to design the shirts.

What I'm saying is that with a few key pieces from others (specifically the design), I would be willing to take on this project. 

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Lil Red Head said:

BWB Worldcon T-Shirts:

I don't want to step on any toes, so if someone is already on this or is the usual suspect, lmk and I'll help them.

In recent years it is the Baroness of the BWB @Xray the Enforcer and @Mr. X who have been in charge and taken care of the BWB Worldcon t-shirts.  I have no idea if there are any plans to make such t-shirts for this Worldcon but you should check with them first.

Looks like Hilton garden inn opened up a ton of rooms (at least on their website).  

There a BwB designated hotel? If not, was considering the Westin or Conrad.

Also, due to work, I have to skip titancon. I'm in Belfast the nights of 13th and 14th (taking the train to Dublin on the 15th).  If anyone wants to tour with me, let me know. You can probably sponge off my room booking as well.    If anyone has a hotel recommendation, let me know.  

2 hours ago, Cuellar said:

Looks like Hilton garden inn opened up a ton of rooms (at least on their website).  

There a BwB designated hotel? If not, was considering the Westin or Conrad.  

Based on posts in this thread so far, it sounds like we are all a bit spread out with no one hotel dominating.  I'm at the Spencer but I've seen others say the Clayton, Maldron, Camden Court, and Jurys Inn.

12 hours ago, Cuellar said:

Are they at the convention rate, though? If so, I would certainly consider switching my booking from the more expensive Maldron, which I only accepted because the Hilton was full up when bookings opened.

Hello,

BF and me will be attending WorldCon and EuroCon :)

I've been a bit out of the loop with BWB stuff lately, but I really want to reconnect with you all *hugs*

1 hour ago, Alytha said:

Hello,

BF and me will be attending WorldCon and EuroCon :)

I've been a bit out of the loop with BWB stuff lately, but I really want to reconnect with you all *hugs*

If you have not yet booked your Eurocon memberships then I highly recommend you do so soon.  We have a membership cap and we are approaching it (we are not that close yet but if we get a sudden rush of members you could miss out)  There are plans to make an offical countdown on our website - but I'm not involved with that.   

Also for Eurocon - remember there is the coach tour and feast, each booked separately.  Also there is the http://gameofthronesexhibition.com/   people might like to visit.  its very close to the convention centre just a short bus ride.   We where contacted yesterday by them and they will be offering our members a discount when booking as individuals.  (no details yet as to what the discount is or how to get it, I'm waiting on a call back from them.  We will update you when we know.

Trying to decide between Eurocon only, or Worldcon in full or part, plus Eurocon. 

If anyone is looking to split a room in Dublin or has space, PM me.   Provisionally, I'm looking at arriving that Friday.

Also up in the air as to what to do between the cons. 

My heart is disappointed that Cuellar's schedule and mine don't seem to be syncing up.  My liver rejoices.

Well, I dragged my feet, and prices have skyrocketed.   Hilton's $324+tax a night, conrad $280+, radi $334+ and westin $350+.  Think I'm going to just book an airbnb, plenty of 2 bedrooms for $300 a night.  Worst case I can stay at my uncle's house for free and just uber...

If anyone still needs accommodation, let m know, since its easy to book a bigger airbnb.  I'm staying in town thu-tue. 

Archived