Why is it assumed that the White Walkers will make it past the Wall?

iprayiam

On 18/08/2017 at 6:07 PM, Illiterati said:

BenJen has described the magic in the wall to Bran.  We don't know if Jon is aware of the magic.  Can't come to terms with how Mormont's wight survived on the other side of the wall, though.

We can only assume that wights cannot cross on their own, the only suggestion would be they were deactivated for a time then the WW who reanimated them reactivated them when they were passed the wall and in castle black.

On 8/18/2017 at 9:19 AM, Illiterati said:

Seems like the possibility exists in ancient lore, which the people of Westeros have dismissed as myth ("Grumpkins and Snarks").  The Night's Watch has seen them, and once you see that NK, WW and wights exist, it lends credence to the idea that the rest of the myth, that the NK will bring battle to Westeros.  Again, I don't think the showrunners have done a good job of conveying the mythological history of the story.  Only Bran, through visions and possibly his connection with NK, could be fully aware that they are coming, and I don't think he's shared that with anyone until he sent a raven to Jon that they are moving on Eastwatch.

Agree on Gumpkins & Snarks. I disagree on the showrunners.... 

Jon was at Hardhome on the show. Not in book. He and Edd witnessed first hand how the wights can move fast and overrun everything in their path. 

Jon has climbed The Wall. 

We've been shown what Jon knows. Jon doesn't know about the magic. Only Bran and Meera. 

I had assumed Bran broke The Wall like he broke the cave, just by passing it. I had assumed the dead could now freeze the water by Eastwatch - because of the credits - and pass The Wall or go over it.

I don't think it's unreasonable to think they could possibly get past The Wall. 

20 hours ago, Col Cinders said:

Oh I don't think it is Dany they're talking about.  Euron Greyjoy has the dragon binder horn from old Valeria.  If he takes control of one of Dany's dragons then letting the WW loose would be one dick move he could make agains Jon/Dany in support of Cersei.

Wow I have made more posts about horns than I ever thought I would.

Dragon binder = books. 

There are not going to introduce the concept of a dragon binder now this late on. 

I've seen/read two things that made me wonder if this is how the White Walkers will end up in Westeros.

The first is the story of the Night's King in A World of Ice and Fire (yes, it's a book, not the show, but may provide an explanation). He was able to use "spells" to break the magic of the Wall and get through it.

The second was some speculation about the opening sequence. In one episode, when the sequence scanned up to the Wall, all the water around the Wall was frozen. It seems they wouldn't necessarily have to go through the Wall in that case, just walk around it now that "winter has come."

Both could be totally irrelevant, just thoughts.

19 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

I've seen/read two things that made me wonder if this is how the White Walkers will end up in Westeros.

The first is the story of the Night's King in A World of Ice and Fire (yes, it's a book, not the show, but may provide an explanation). He was able to use "spells" to break the magic of the Wall and get through it.

Now I dont recall anywhere this being mentioned, Im not a booker reader but if you could provide a statement or evidence that the Night's King used magic to get the ''WW'' through.

We dont actually know if she was a WW but the evidence to describe her appearance makes it 99% likely she was. 

The Nights King did use sorcery to bind the Brothers of the Nightswatch to his will. 

Does this mean the Magic allows people south of the Wall to invite WW/others in without the Magic affecting them????

19 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

The second was some speculation about the opening sequence. In one episode, when the sequence scanned up to the Wall, all the water around the Wall was frozen. It seems they wouldn't necessarily have to go through the Wall in that case, just walk around it now that "winter has come."

Both could be totally irrelevant, just thoughts.

I think the Water you are referencing is part of the Bay of Seals.

I think it may be a ''distraction'', I just cant see it being that simple, they have waited 8000 years for some water to freeze over so they can pass. 

Personally they have waited for magic to be reborn, I.e Bran, Daenerys, Jon, Dragons.

15 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Now I dont recall anywhere this being mentioned, Im not a booker reader but if you could provide a statement or evidence that the Night's King used magic to get the ''WW'' through.

What I'm able to find says it wasn't actually the Night's King but a King Beyond the Wall, Joramun, who used a horn to bring down the wall when he "woke giants from stone.". Sorry, like I said, I was remembering a part of a book I read a few years ago. I'm currently rereading it.

11 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

What I'm able to find says it wasn't actually the Night's King but a King Beyond the Wall, Joramun, who used a horn to bring down the wall when he "woke giants from stone.". Sorry, like I said, I was remembering a part of a book I read a few years ago. I'm currently rereading it.

Again I think your confused....

Joramun blew the horn to awake giants, he did not bring the wall down.

The Free Folk BELIEVE that blowing the horn can bring the Wall down.

Again it doesnt exist in the show and nor will it, even in the books, some Maesters just think its fallacy.

20 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Again I think your confused....

Joramun blew the horn to awake giants, he did not bring the wall down.

The Free Folk BELIEVE that blowing the horn can bring the Wall down.

Again it doesnt exist in the show and nor will it, even in the books, some Maesters just think its fallacy.

I may be. Again, it's a book I read years ago and I was able to find a passage that mentioned it, but I didn't read the whole chapter over again. And as I said in my original post, it was just speculation and me trying to remember, but I could be wrong. Thanks.

1 hour ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

I think it may be a ''distraction'', I just cant see it being that simple, they have waited 8000 years for some water to freeze over so they can pass. 

Personally they have waited for magic to be reborn, I.e Bran, Daenerys, Jon, Dragons.

I think that last statement you made could be exactly it. They didn't wait for the waters to freeze. They waited for the magic that empowers them to be reborn to assemble armies of the dead and to march toward the Wall. We know that it isn't that they come BECAUSE it's winter, they BRING the winter. So now that their magic is reborn, and they march toward the Wall, the cold they bring may be what freezes the water and allows them to walk around the Wall.

Archived