Worldcon San Jose, California: August 16-20, 2018

The next Worldcon is in San Jose, California from August 16 - 20, 2018.  Who is attending?  Start your planning now!

http://www.worldcon76.org/

ETA: Updating for attendance based on responses in this thread.  Some of you sound like from your posts that you are coming but as you haven't said for sure here I'm not assuming. I will update as more people respond.

[[Note from Xray -- please forgive some of these names, as I'm reporting them from FB and I've forgotten board names for a bunch of you at this point. Getting old sucks.]]

Attending For Sure

lady narcissa
Cueller + Spouse
TitanCat + Titan Cat's Cute Boyfriend
Lilly Valley
One Eyed Raven + Brian
Ser Knight Somerville
Arlington Bill + makotohanabi
Stego
Mathias
Ashaya (or ashayatara) + History of Westeros
Lady With Ink
DaveAx
beniowa
boiled leather
Red Woman
Blackfyre
X-Ray
Mr. X
Elgeron + his flame-haired beauty (pls forgive, I've forgotten everyone's board names at this point -- Xray)
Padraig
Lany Freelove Cassandra
Utah Spice Girls (N, J, J, and R)
The Canadian Terrors J and Salome Sand Witch
The Douche Racebannon
Kat
Bronn Stone
Eefa
Ser Knight Somerville
VC
Cat
Dr. Paisley
Mich
DJ
MH
JK
Maid of Woodlynn
Asha Greyjoy
RM
LugaJetboyGirl-irra
Datepalm (Saturday party)

Still TBD
Let's Get Kraken
mcbigski
SFDanny
Neal
War Galley
Blu-Ray
Peadar

I'll be there for sure.  Debating on which hotel to book. Probably the Marriott, since I've stayed there a bunch of times, and it is closer walking distance to the Fairmont. 

Fairmont looks like a kick ass party location. We better score one of the poolside suites! It'll be just like LA.   I'd consider staying there, but it will suck to keep walking back and forth, plus the rate will probably be crazy. 

I'll probably be driving up from LA on Wednesday.  If anyone ends up needing a lift (either if it is cheaper to fly into LAX or you are from LA), we can coordinate closer to the date.  Will give us a big car to drive around town if need be. 

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 4:31 PM, Cuellar said:

Fairmont looks like a kick ass party location. We better score one of the poolside suites! It'll be just like LA.   I'd consider staying there, but it will suck to keep walking back and forth, plus the rate will probably be crazy.

I was curious so I looked.  The standard room seems to be in the $400 - $600 range.  I can't imagine what the suites would go for.  Seems odd to have the parties in such a high end hotel.  And even odder since it isn't one of the hotels that is listed as being one with room blocks.

18 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

I was curious so I looked.  The standard room seems to be in the $400 - $600 range.  I can't imagine what the suites would go for.  Seems odd to have the parties in such a high end hotel.  And even odder since it isn't one of the hotels that is listed as being one with room blocks.

Ah, but those are rack rates. Convention rates are much lower: "Standard rooms are $199 Single-Double/$224 Triple/$249 Quad Occupancy. Deluxe (larger) rooms are $239 Single-Double/$264 Triple/$289 Quad occupancy. Fairmont one-bedroom suites (bedroom plus a standard parlor) are $339. Note that suite reservations for parties will be administered by Worldcon 76."

Convention rates for all hotels, btw, can be found here: http://www.worldcon76.org/travel-lodging/hotels

Yeah they just added that.    I might stay at the fairmont at that rate, but don't really want to shlep back and forth from the convention center.

If a bunch of people want to book rooms at fairmont, I'd be game to stay there.  I always like meeting up with people in the lobby, so am a fan of designating a hotel for the BwB!

Note:  If you have SPG Gold (IE from AMEX Platinum) you can get Marriott gold, and land free breakfast in the lounge at the Marriott.  

• 2 months later...

My wife's coming, so we may opt for the Fairmont as well.  So that's 3 votes for Fairmont, none for anything else!

I'm actually flying from England to LA then driving to the con the next day, so I'll probably be quite the mess. 

Archived