Worldcon San Jose, California: August 16-20, 2018

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

i'm told i don't participate enough.  this is me participating.

Currently, BlackFyre and the RedWoman are plotting about something the wednesday night prior to the con for the BwB.  I think this means work for me and driving for you.  But I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.  Thank god I never do any planning. :rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to make a final decision soon, but leaning towards going.  Would consider a road trip to some wine either before or after.  Pasa Robles looks like about a 2 hr drive and I've heard good things...

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/26/2017 at 6:57 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

YES, YES YOU DO. 

I mean, holy shit. When was the last time we saw each other, my friend? 2008?

Woah, hey stranger! Didn't come back to this thread until now. Yeah must have been 2008 with the DC BwB. Will look at tickets and events and maybe even lodging. Will look to attend some function or event regardless.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/28/2018 at 0:47 AM, Let's Get Kraken said:

So what's the etiquette on bud at BwB parties in recreationally legal states?

It was legal in Spokane, people smoked outside with me.  I just smoke cigarettes, though.  Annoyed me to no end I couldn't bring my wine outside.

I plan on being there! One of my favorite parts of Sasquan was meeting you guys. I'm a terrible introvert, so hanging out and attending the BwB party - knowing I was surrounded by Martin fans - really helped me be comfortable and enjoy my first Con ever. I'm stoked to be attending this year - see you all there!

Official Stance Re: Marijuana in San Jose: 

Please do not smoke or vape in the BWB suite, and under no circumstances should you bring edibles (of any variety) to the BWB party.

WorldCon76 has a clear policy about this and I support it. We have a couple of members who are allergic to weed and they have as much right to enjoy the BWB party as anyone else. Further, we have had at least one accidental dosing (via edible) in the past, and that is one too many.

As such, pre-game on your own the night of the BWB party, or build a couple of outdoor vape seshes into your party schedule. And it should go without saying, but I'm going to say it anyway: NEVER give someone a cannabis product without making absolute sure that they know what they're getting and consent to it. Be explicit about what you are offering, to make sure that jargon, slang, or other language barriers are not hindering informed consent. 

In general, though? As long as you're abiding by the convention Code of Conduct, I'm fine with you getting high as often as you wish or need. 

@Xray the Enforcer thanks for the clarification!   @Let's Get Kraken come find me at the con!  I try to be really careful to smoke cigarettes in designated areas where I'm not irritating everyone.  I've got no problem asking a thousand questions to make sure we're complying with the rules as well, AND we can keep each other company.  West Coast tends to be a little fussy about distances from doors and property lines with smoking / vaping in general.  We'll figure it out! Doesn't bother me to be around it and I rather like the smell.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/9/2018 at 1:51 PM, boiled leather said:

i'm told i don't participate enough.  this is me participating.

Currently, BlackFyre and the RedWoman are plotting about something the wednesday night prior to the con for the BwB.  I think this means work for me and driving for you.  But I'm pretty sure it will be worth it.  Thank god I never do any planning. :rolleyes:

I will certainly appreciate your work!

As a somewhat local I will endeavor to be available to help with any transport issues that may arise.  

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

NEWS! I just got confirmation that we have a suite reserved in the party hotel for the evening of Saturday, August 18. Reminder: THIS IS NOT HUGO NIGHT. The Hugo Award ceremony is Sunday, August 19.

I'll be working with the hotel liaison to get a layout of the room so we can plan for the party.

One request: If you have a room in the party hotel (The Fairmont) and would be willing to swap your reservation from a non-party-floor to the party-floor, please get in touch. This is to minimize the likelihood of a noise complaint that would shut the parties down early. This is only applicable to those in the Fairmont -- I've already asked if reservations in other hotels would be eligible for the swap and the answer was negative.

Whatever happens, we are going to have a kickass time and will prove that Love Is Real.

Archived