Worldcon San Jose, California: August 16-20, 2018

On 4/11/2018 at 0:03 PM, Peadar said:

I wasn't planning on attending this year due to distance, but there is now a chance that I'll be there. It would be amazing to catch up with you all :)

Sweet! This would be an excellent turn of events.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 6:40 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

NEWS! I just got confirmation that we have a suite reserved in the party hotel for the evening of Saturday, August 18. Reminder: THIS IS NOT HUGO NIGHT. The Hugo Award ceremony is Sunday, August 19.

Yay! I shall venture down to my storage locker and drag out the box of BWB party lights and blue tape!

@History of Westeros and I will be attending - I posted in the Facebook group, but forgot to mention it here. I also just booked our tickets to the GRRM & John Picacio interview on Tuesday the 14th, 2 days before the con. Is anyone else planning to attend that as well?

Edit: just realized I somehow have 2 accounts, and instead of posting with my normal @ashayatara, I logged into one with no posts, but still the same avatar. Weird.

18 hours ago, Datepalm said:

Can I just come to the party? I should be in the area by then - I think unfortunately busy for the most part, but the weekend should be doable!

You will probably have to get a day pass to the convention -- depending on how they organize things, they might be checking badges before letting anyone get to the party floor.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, if it is not let me know and I will move it:

I am looking for someone(s) to share expenses for worldcon, either sharing a room or finding something else I have a line on an actual house for rent cheap just a few blocks from the convention center. If anyone is interested, or can help me out another way, please let me know.

As I will be driving in I can also offer transport assistance and a vehicle for moving around.

• 4 weeks later...

Folks, thanks to a tip from Bex, I have learned that the con has set up a tour of the Winchester Mystery House on Friday afternoon. At this time, they have just under twenty vacancies. I am planning to do this. Please join me in the fun.

Note that the mechanism for getting in on the tour if you already have a membership is extremely non-obvious. Here are the steps...
1) Go to the website's page for managing your registration account and log in.
https://www.regonline.com/registration/login.aspx...
2) In the "Edit" column, select "Upgrades and Add-ons"
3) Scroll down to "Friday: The Winchester Mystery House and Brewpub Dinner" and check the box.
4) Go to the bottom of the page, click "Continue", and deal with the payment via check or PayPal.

Here is a link to the tour's description on the con website:
http://www.worldcon76.org/travel-lodging/tours

Note that the Mystery House interior itself is not ADA-accessible, but its gardens, museum, gift shop, etc. all are accessible. When you register, you can specify that you don't want the tour, but want to come for the other stuff, and you'll have the tour price automatically removed from the overall cost.

6 hours ago, DaveAx said:

Folks, thanks to a tip from Bex, I have learned that the con has set up a tour of the Winchester Mystery House on Friday afternoon. At this time, they have just under twenty vacancies. I am planning to do this. Please join me in the fun.

Dave, (and BEX) thanks for the heads up.  :-)  Just booked it.  12 places left.   ---Ken

I did want to visit the Winchester House so I booked as well. Thanks for letting us know.

Booked my plane tickets as well so I am all set!

Since we are two months out know I will go through this thread in the next day or two and update the first thread with attendee info. 

On 5/17/2018 at 4:10 AM, Mishttar said:

Hi, Not sure if this is the right spot to put this, if it is not let me know and I will move it:

I am looking for someone(s) to share expenses for worldcon, either sharing a room or finding something else I have a line on an actual house for rent cheap just a few blocks from the convention center. If anyone is interested, or can help me out another way, please let me know.

As I will be driving in I can also offer transport assistance and a vehicle for moving around.

Hi there, did you ever book that house? Are you still considering it?

On 4/27/2018 at 4:40 PM, Xray el Sicario said:

One request: If you have a room in the party hotel (The Fairmont) and would be willing to swap your reservation from a non-party-floor to the party-floor, please get in touch. This is to minimize the likelihood of a noise complaint that would shut the parties down early. This is only applicable to those in the Fairmont -- I've already asked if reservations in other hotels would be eligible for the swap and the answer was negative.

Whatever happens, we are going to have a kickass time and will prove that Love Is Real.

I'll be there with my wife and 2yo kid. We have our reservations booked for the Fairmont - is there any way to see what actual floors/rooms we've been assigned?

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Okay I have updated the first post in this thread with attendance based on people's posts in this thread.  Let me know if your status changes and I will update.

Thank you for doing that!!! I'm running late for work, but I can update that list tomorrow. I took a survey of people on FB of who is planning to be at WorldCon in the BWB group.

16 hours ago, Xray el Sicario said:

Thank you for doing that!!! I'm running late for work, but I can update that list tomorrow. I took a survey of people on FB of who is planning to be at WorldCon in the BWB group.

Ah yes, please take pity on those of us not on facebook and bring that information over here!

Archived