Worldcon San Jose, California: August 16-20, 2018

From what I've gathered its pretty bad as these things go - an acquaintances out that way (Palo Alto, Mountain View) last weekend said she couldn't be outdoors more than an hour at one point, as her eyes dried out and she started coughing. I've been handed out a mask by my landlady, though I haven't felt the need to use it yet.

I live about 10 miles from the great conflagration and the smoke has been vastly different on a daily.  Last weekend I traveled through the Sacramento area and the smoke was absolutely terrible (less than 1 mile visibility).  Yesterday at my house I would say the smoke was nearly nonexistent.  Today we chose not to participate in any outside activities because we could see and smell the smoke.  San Jose is in an entirely different valley/basin and is much closer to the SF Bay area wind patterns so I would guess the smoke will not be too bad. 

For those concerned about the air quality, here's a good site to see a forecast: https://airnow.gov/index.cfm?action=airnow.local_city&zipcode=95113&submit=Go

Today's quality is listed as good, but tomorrow is forecast as moderate. I doubt the fires upstate will severely effect San Jose, but that's just my guess. I will say when the Napa fires were raging we had ash and smoke in San Francisco. A mask is a good precaution, especially if you're strongly effected by smoke.

6 hours ago, lady narcissa said:

Does anyone have any idea what the protest is that will be going on adjacent to the convention center on Saturday?  The Worldcon email didn't say what is was for, I'm just curious.

This File 770 article summarizes the situation:
http://file770.com/worldcon-76-response-to-protests-planned-outside-sjcc-on-august-18/

On 8/9/2018 at 5:43 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Can't wait to meet you! I am sure there will be an informal meet and greet at a hotel bar on Thursday. Watch this space. Also, if we are not connected on FB, PM me your phone number.

There is usually an informal meet and greet at the hotel bar all day every day.    

If anyone is looking for BwB people to hang with, feel free to message me here or better yet on Facebook.  I'm pretty recognizable out and about. 

apologies -- totally forgot to address the protests. The very basic gist is that someone publicly announced that they would deliberately harass people, and otherwise break the Code of Conduct, at WorldCon. So WorldCon did the logical thing and rescinded this asshole's membership. So now dude is real fired about about people harboring pedos at WorldCon (people are totally NOT harboring pedos at WorldCon) and decided to stage a protest. And now there are also counter-protesters who will be there. I highly suggest that one find an alternate route into the convention center during Saturday.

On 8/6/2018 at 6:39 PM, Xray the Enforcer said:

Getting down to the last days! I'll be posting a better schedule for the party day (Saturday) once I've worked it out. I'll also be looking for volunteers to help set up and clean up the party, ice dragons to keep the booze cold, and some people who are willing to help out with general run of show or security. 

No official meet and greet this year, at least not on the program. If I can find a spare room on Friday and get it on the supplemental program I will, but we might just meet at the hotel bar because why not? 

I'll be around and happy to volunteer. I won't be going to the official con, but I'd be glad to come help out on Saturday.

People are starting to arrive and the hotel bars will be full! If you still need access to the private Facebook group, PM me here and let me know what your Facebook name is. Remember: while I'll try to keep this thread updated during the convention, it is much MUCH easier to find BWB in real-time in the Facebook group.

Archived