If You Could Change History

GAROVORKIN

One thing I would do would be to translate into English the journals of Gerrit Metzon. His description of being a slave in Algiers opened people's eyes as to the horrors of slavery because he was white. As it was he did give a jumpstart to the abolitionist movement but better distribution would not hurt.  

I would have made sure the Archduke Francis Ferdinand and His Wife Sophie made it out Sarajevo alive.  They were both good people and didn't at all deserve what they got. I suspect that had they survived the onset of WW I would have been at least delayed by a few years. 

I think I'd have to stop Joffre's counter-attack in the early days of WWI and have it be just a larger scale Franco-Prussian result.

That undoes:

1) 95% of the death and destruction of WWI.

2) The Russian Revolution.

3) Sykes-Picot et al

4) Rise of fascism.

5) WWII

6) Holocaust

7)  Cold War and all subset genocides, CIA sponsored tin-pot tyrannical despots and pseudo-Communist death merchants.

Etc. And the cost is Germany winning a war when they weren't particularly representative of a cultural or ethical depravity as what would follow in real life. Maybe we instead get the rise of a French Hitker type, but I doubt it comes anywhere near the original. Britain's empire is weakened a bit but nothing like in RL, France pays the biggest price but, again, nothing like what they endured as is, etc. 

In fact America is just about the only country I could see voting no on this. The carnage and cost of the two world wars destroyed the French and later British empires, which vacuum was the principal direct cause for Breton Woods etc. and the rise of the American empire. What with the whole bankrupting Britain by starting 7YW and then Rebelling when the bill came due, then bankrupting France in the American Revolution leading to the French Revolution, etc. it really does affirm the old joke about how the Eagle really ought to be a vulture.

Look
I understand too little too late
I realize there are things you say and do
You can never take back
But what would you be if you didn't even try
You have to try
So after a lot of thought
I'd like to reconsider
Please
If it's not too late
Make it a cheeseburger

31 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

I'm curious if anyone is going to say that they would prevent Trans Atlantic Slave Trade.

Maarsen did, upthread.

On 8/18/2017 at 8:02 AM, maarsen said:

One thing I would do would be to translate into English the journals of Gerrit Metzon. His description of being a slave in Algiers opened people's eyes as to the horrors of slavery because he was white. As it was he did give a jumpstart to the abolitionist movement but better distribution would not hurt.  

26 minutes ago, Gronzag said:

I meant, before any Africans were enslaved and brought to the new world. This Gerrit Metzon was from the early 19th century.

Ah, my bad. I thought he had that covered. 

19 minutes ago, snowleper said:

Inoculating the Americas to smallpox and influenza hundreds of years before the Spanish accidentally arrived.

That is a good one.

39 minutes ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Ah, my bad. I thought he had that covered. 

That is a good one.

Damn, I wish I had also. Smallpox vaccination was started in the 18th century, and too late to help indigenous Americans. Influenza vaccine only works half the time even now.

Just an aside. Gerrit Metzon was my many times great uncle. 

2 minutes ago, maarsen said:

Damn, I wish I had also. Smallpox vaccination was started in the 18th century, and too late to help indigenous Americans. Influenza vaccine only works half the time even now.

Just an aside. Gerrit Metzon was my many times great uncle. 

Very cool on boning up on the family history. Given the premise of this thread though the timeline doesn't really matter right? You take 21st century drugs back to the time prior to any sort of European contact and inoculate the populace. To the flu bit, you could possibly identify the most virulent strains that were prevalent at that time.

I guess the thing that would possibly screw up the translation of your ancestor's experience would be context, but it might still be worth a go.

27 minutes ago, larrytheimp said:

I would fart in Reagan's face

Edited 24 minutes ago by larrytheimp
I mean I'm 34 so I would have been like a small child or infant so ya know

It would have been easier to accomplish post-Alzheimers. And as a child, I bet nancy would have given you a cookie afterwards anyway.

Archived