Why is the CITADEL so dumb?!

Ghosteline

I can't stand the fact that the masters in Citadel are just so dumb old men!!! I always imagined it to be a place of high knowledge! Spending half of their lifetime surrounded by these books and similar records from different sources and they are still sceptical about the army of the dead??? Seriously what the f####. I just couldn't stand watching these scenes!

This is true of many of the scholars in real life they are always very skeptical of anything that they can not explain.  The Citadel is full of men that have dedicated their entire life to what could be proven and to ask them to make a leap of faith on the word of someone they just met would have been a stretch.  

Besides the Archmaester did believe Sam but he was not going to stick his neck out for he because he knew the other men of the citadel would not be swayed.  

6 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

I have a feeling that whatever plot the Citadel was a part of has been removed from the show.   So we get the dumbed down TV version with poop montages. 

Yeah I agree to the fact that the full plot will not be shown etc but there willingness to ignore/eradicate magic is certainly apparent.

They have an agenda and that agenda require them to have monopoly on knowledge.  They want to control the flow of information and to whom that knowledge is given.  It's not about narrow mindedness, it's about power and control.  They want to remain relevant in a changing world.  They want to be the world builders. 

There was a maester conspiracy but I doubt it involved more than a few high ranking archmaesters.  The Targaryens provided stability and the pursuit of knowledge cannot happen when minor lordlinds and petty kings were constantly fighting.  Many maesters would have recognized this and would know the value of centralized government.  But there are always rotten apples in the barrel and some archmaesters may have wanted to build a world in which the intellectual elite were ruling the people.  So it's not like they wanted a democracy.  They just wanted to be the ones in charge.  It's ideology and nothing more.

21 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

They are not dumb. They just don't believe it. Think them as a group of Pycelle.

Samwell hasn't exactly given them proof.  Samwell came to the Citadel empty-handed just like Jon came to Dragonstone empty-handed.  No proof whatsoever.  Except to sing out the "the dead are coming for us" line.  Most rational people would not believe.

On 8/18/2017 at 10:05 PM, Ghosteline said:

I can't stand the fact that the masters in Citadel are just so dumb old men!!! I always imagined it to be a place of high knowledge! Spending half of their lifetime surrounded by these books and similar records from different sources and they are still sceptical about the army of the dead??? Seriously what the f####. I just couldn't stand watching these scenes!

It seems realistic to me.

Just go to a typical university here in the real world.  They are full of professors who think they know everything but they sound like a bunch of morons who don't live in the real world.

I think they nailed it on show.  

1 hour ago, Lord Okra said:

It seems realistic to me.

Just go to a typical university here in the real world.  They are full of professors who think they know everything but they sound like a bunch of morons who don't live in the real world.

I think they nailed it on show.  

There is a reason they seem ''dumb'' its because of their anti magic ideology.

If we delve deeper, the maesters are massively influential, they are in every noble house. They play very important roles in teaching the houses children, healing, advising and keep communication between various places.

The rule of thumb is that the Citadel and maesters have a anti magic agenda. Why?? They want to be able to give advise and help on all subject areas, but magic cannot really be understood and/or controlled and that goes against their ways. For a couple hundred years now magic has seized to exist or very little, so for the Maesters its been easy to influence as there has been nothing to say otherwise. Since only 1 in hundred maesters get the Valyrian link for magic on there chains, this says alot. There frown upon only leads maesters who do try their hand at it and fail only to not try again and lose hope that magic does not really exist. But again I think the maesters have some play in this.

Maesters believe that magic is the cause of all badness in the world. Using their history they write and record they can analyse patterns allowing them to conclude in their opinion magic is all bad.

On the birth of Daenerys dragons, it was the first living dragons in 100 of years, the last dragons grew smaller and smaller and seized to able to grow them at all. They were stunted and small, could the Maesters have been poisoning them? As we can see they dont do well in captivity and Viserion and Rhaegal are smaller than Drogon. Maesters blamed the indoor rearing of dragons as to why they were small, but regardless Daenerys dragons still grew to a very far size. As we can see they Daenerys dragons have reborn magic as can be seen with the Warlocks and how their magic strengthened in the presence of the dragons. 

Maesters renounce all claims and titles and just become a no one really. The families houses that they are assigned to do not know anything about them, what they believe in or their loyalties. All maesters are pretty enigmatic. They can really be only loyal to theirselves so a conspiracy would fit their persona. 

As we can see from Sam in the Citadel their hold of important information is paramount, locked behind gates not to be seen by the prying eye or curious mind. The Citadel is very trusted again as Sam said about how everyone would believe what they would say. If there main aim is to rid magic and have control, what better what than to write history how they want it to be believed. 

Magic did go away for a while but since the beginning of Game of Thrones it has slowly increased over time, making you wonder if someone or collection of people tried to rid the Westeros world of it.

There is clearly lots of history/information in the Citadel that is covered up and locked behind closed doors. For me there will definitetly be more revelations to be revealed regarding the Maesters of the Citadel.

Archived