u.s. politics: faygo to the polls

all swedes are racist

8 minutes ago, dmc515 said:

Breitbart touts "aggressive expansion" with Bannon back in the fold.  I'm suspect the use of that phrase is not coincidental to this:

What fucking pathetic infantile losers to still think echoing TDK's Joker is somehow cool or edgy.  And this is coming from someone that counts it as one of his favorite movies.

The best part about the way he says that line is his gesturing when he says it. You can't convey that in text.

2 hours ago, Manhole Eunuchsbane said:

Outside of the MLB thing, I can't really speak to that. A comedian I enjoy quite a bit (Bill Burr) is from Boston and he calls it "Racist San Francisco".

2 hours ago, dmc515 said:

When I was growing up we would drive to Cape Cod every year for summer vacation, during which we'd visit Boston for a few days.  I've only been there a couple times in the past decade, but from my experience...let's just say it's earned its reputation.  As ME said, there's strands of this in every city but I found Boston to be rather...unique in this regard.  Especially for a northeastern city.  That being said, the city is great to visit in general once you can get past that and the traffic since the layout was designed by morons.

1 hour ago, Sword of Doom said:

While it is progressive, it is also really really racist. 

Trump referred to anti-racist counter demonstrators in Boston as "anti-police" . Did Trump just imply the police are racist? Pretty sure he did.

That's a shame. A friend and I once played "if you could save only 4 US states, which would you pick". I used to pick New York, California, Minnesota and Massachussets.

Welp, guess im replacing Mass with Washington.

7 minutes ago, WinterFox said:

The best part about the way he says that line is his gesturing when he says it. You can't convey that in text.

LOL, yeah.  Now I can't stop laughing watching it.

4 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

It is? I thought it was really progressive.

it's both

2 hours ago, WinterFox said:

Leaving everything else aside, this Boston police commissioner is my fucking hero. I could barely discern 1 in 3 words, but I liked the spirit.

eh, don't let this fool you, he's kinda a peice of shit

4 hours ago, Morpheus said:

Massive protest in Boston, as you would expect in any gathering of that size, there are some troublemakers and isolated polices skirmishes. But Trump has already tweeted about the "many" anti police agitators in Boston. I expect that is the line Conservative media will take tomorrow, amplifying those incidents to say it is exactly the same as Charlottesville and Trump was right on Tuesday.

Something like 15-20,000 counter protestors, no major violent incidents, no injuries, only about 20 arrests out of that, but this is apparently "many" anti-police protestors, even though I think I remember hearing the police themselves being willing to thank the protestors for their good behavior.

Meanwhile, the Charlottesville alt-right mob that came to the area with torches, clubs, guns, and homemade riot shields, started the violent encounters, attempted to assault clergy members, and topped it off by driving a car into a crowd had many fine people and weren't even the ones to get violent, if you listen to Trump.

His responses to the two events make it perfectly obvious where he stands and who has his sympathies.

14 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

What Europe Can Teach America About Free Speech
In an unregulated marketplace of ideas, private citizens need to take up the burden of holding the line against racist extremism.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/what-europe-can-teach-america-about-free-speech/537186/

Great article, thanks.

perhaps there are a few lingering decent people in the GOP? Or, perhaps a sense that things are going too far?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/gop-senator-it-feels-like-violence-is-coming/ar-AAqkKHT?ocid=ob-fb-enus-580

He unloaded on President Trump and his administration over the response to the incident, which Sasse called out as motivated by white supremacists. Sasse charged that some of Trump's closest advisers see racial division as an opportunity.

However, he also blamed misunderstandings — some deliberate — on both sides of the aisle and argued that the current national debate should not be "a fight about historical monuments." Many state and local governments are taking steps to remove Confederate statues in the wake of the Charlottesville violence, which was originally organized to oppose the removal of a Gen. Robert E. Lee statue there.

Trump has criticized the removal of Confederate monuments, citing their historic value.

Sasse also said he doesn't believe Trump can bring the country together after the violence, both what was caused last weekend and what may come in the future.

"I doubt that Donald Trump will be able to calm and comfort the nation in that moment," Sasse wrote. "He (and lots of others) will probably tell an awful combination of partial truths and outright falsehoods."

59 minutes ago, Martell Spy said:

What Europe Can Teach America About Free Speech
In an unregulated marketplace of ideas, private citizens need to take up the burden of holding the line against racist extremism.

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/08/what-europe-can-teach-america-about-free-speech/537186/

Some Germans have found a way to turn a Neo-Nazi pilgrimage into a charity. I like it.

The campaign, called Rechts Gegen Rechts — the Right Against the Right — turned the march into Germany’s “most involuntary walkathon.” For every meter the neo-Nazis marched, local residents and businesses pledged to donate 10 euros (then equivalent to about $12.50) to a program that helps people leave right-wing extremist groups, called EXIT Deutschland.

They turned the march into a mock sporting event. Someone stenciled onto the street “start,” a halfway mark and a finish line, as if it were a race. Colorful signs with silly slogans festooned the route. “If only the Führer knew!” read one. “Mein Mampf!” (my munch) read another that hung over a table of bananas. A sign at the end of the route thanked the marchers for their contribution to the anti-Nazi cause — €10,000 (close to $12,000). And someone showered the marchers with rainbow confetti at the finish line.

6 minutes ago, Nasty LongRider said:

Some Germans have found a way to turn a Neo-Nazi pilgrimage into a charity. I like it.

That is awesome. I saw some posts regarding this on a Fark thread regarding the Boston event. German posters were posting about how far they had walked and how much money they'd raised and whatnot.

They turned the march into a mock sporting event. Someone stenciled onto the street “start,” a halfway mark and a finish line, as if it were a race. Colorful signs with silly slogans festooned the route. “If only the Führer knew!” read one. “Mein Mampf!” (my munch) read another that hung over a table of bananas. A sign at the end of the route thanked the marchers for their contribution to the anti-Nazi cause — €10,000 (close to $12,000). And someone showered the marchers with rainbow confetti at the finish line

Hopefully they were playing "Der Fuehrer's Face"

11 minutes ago, James Arryn said:

Now that's the way to fight these people. Brilliant.

Lets not forget what Dan Savage did for Rick Santorum.  First entry, outa the gate;

Campaign for the neologism "santorum" - Wikipedia

Savage announced the winning entry, which defined "santorum" as "the frothy mixture of lube and fecal matter that is sometimes the byproduct of anal sex".

And to put pressure on the Nazi in Chief;

The Salvation Army, ..........American Red Cross........Cleveland Clinic, the American Friends of Magen David Adom and the American Cancer Society.............Autism Project of Palm Beach County...........Unicorn Children’s Foundation, said it is “currently exploring other options” ...........joined a growing exodus of organizations canceling plans to hold fundraising events at the Mar-a-Lago Club in Palm Beach, deepening the financial impact to President Donald Trump’s private business amid furor over his comments on Charlottesville............

The cancellations hit at one of the private Florida club’s top moneymakers: The club earned between $100,000 and $275,000 each from similar-sized events in the past during Palm Beach’s glitzy social seasons.

But they also reveal a widening vulnerability for Trump, who, unlike past presidents, refused to divest from his business interests when he joined the White House.

Hahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

They're hitting Trump where it hurts, in his fucking wallet.  Good show!

4 hours ago, Red Tiger said:

That's a shame. A friend and I once played "if you could save only 4 US states, which would you pick". I used to pick New York, California, Minnesota and Massachussets.

Welp, guess im replacing Mass with Washington.

Holy fuck dude, look up the racist history of Washington some time. The Pacific Northwest was settled by white people looking to establish racially pure domains. I have a friend from Boston, a 6'5" black man, who was totally thrown off by the blatant hostility he encountered in liberal enclaves like Seattle and Portland. And if you head inland, not too long before you encounter the racist bugfuck militias emanating from Idaho.

You can't swing a dead cat in this whole fucking country without hitting some racists. Boston has a shitty racial history and there's still a ton of dumb racists here. But the progressives here know how to rally. Massachusetts is the one fucking state in the union where not one county went to Trump. Our Republicans would be liberal Democrats in half the other states. We're trying. That's a fuck of a lot more than I can say about other places.

I'm proud of my city today. No amount of poo-pooing from outsiders looking in is going to change that.

32 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

Holy fuck dude, look up the racist history of Washington some time. The Pacific Northwest was settled by white people looking to establish racially pure domains. I have a friend from Boston, a 6'5" black man, who was totally thrown off by the blatant hostility he encountered in liberal enclaves like Seattle and Portland. And if you head inland, not too long before you encounter the racist bugfuck militias emanating from Idaho.

You can't swing a dead cat in this whole fucking country without hitting some racists. Boston has a shitty racial history and there's still a ton of dumb racists here. But the progressives here know how to rally. Massachusetts is the one fucking state in the union where not one county went to Trump. Our Republicans would be liberal Democrats in half the other states. We're trying. That's a fuck of a lot more than I can say about other places.

I'm proud of my city today. No amount of poo-pooing from outsiders looking in is going to change that.

:cheers:

32 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

:cheers:

Archived