Daenerys and Braavos, breaking chains together?

Ser Petyr Parker

Braavos seems genuinely anti-slavery, which makes sense considering their history. For example, they went to the trouble of forcing Pentos to (officially, at least) give up slavery.

Daenerys also makes a big fuss about breaking chains, and has made a lot of gains in that respect which remain fragile and need to be shored up.

Could Braavos be helping Daenerys behind the scenes? If not yet, will they? Or is Braavos not as sympathetic to Daenerys as we might assume? There is money in slaves, of course, and it wouldn't exactly be unheard of for a power to put profit above the principles they preach.

I don't think Braavos would be cool with the dragons, given their history. Sure, unlike the old Valyrians, Dany's using her dragons to free slaves instead of making them, but what about her descendants, or her dragon-riders? What if she changes her mind or surrounds herself with pro-slavery advisors? 

There's too many variables to consider, so I would imagine Braavos would rather get rid of the dragons as an easier solution.

6 hours ago, Ser Petyr Parker said:

Braavos seems genuinely anti-slavery, which makes sense considering their history. For example, they went to the trouble of forcing Pentos to (officially, at least) give up slavery.

Daenerys also makes a big fuss about breaking chains, and has made a lot of gains in that respect which remain fragile and need to be shored up.

Could Braavos be helping Daenerys behind the scenes? If not yet, will they? Or is Braavos not as sympathetic to Daenerys as we might assume? There is money in slaves, of course, and it wouldn't exactly be unheard of for a power to put profit above the principles they preach.

Aegon used Balerion to help fight against the rise of a new Valyria.  Braavos was fine with that.  It's the slavery that they're not fine with.  I can see them helping Daenerys in the future.  The old Sealord himself wanted to help restore the Targaryens back to the throne so there is a lot of pro-Targaryen feelings in Braavos. 

Braavos is a shipping nation and their power is sea power.  They can help remove the blockade around Meereen.  But the easiest way to remove that blockade is dragon fire.  The best way for Braavos to help?  Provide ships to carry Dany's forces when she is ready to take back the seven kingdoms.

I think the vast majority of Braavosi will support Daenerys and they will be instrumental in helping rebuild the economy of Slaver's Bay.  There will be plenty of opportunities to build new businesses and make new fortunes in this new economy and many Braavosi will jump at that chance.  Helping end slavery is the moral action to take and Braavos would want to do that.  But Braavos will not stick its neck out until Dany gives them a sign that she can defeat the masters.  No one wants to end up on the losing side.  The slaves in Volantis who outnumber the masters will not risk open rebellion until Dany gives them a sign that she can back them up. 

• 4 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, liasal said:

What do you think will happen if/when Dany sees the brothels in Braavos selling girl children to be raped?

'Braavos is against slavery' blah blah blah...except for the rape enslavement of little girls. What could incense Dany more?

Remind me where we see that in the books?

On the main topic, I have to point out that Braavos has invested in Stannis, through the Iron Bank, so that is going to cause some friction right there.

3 hours ago, DominusNovus said:

Remind me where we see that in the books?

On the main topic, I have to point out that Braavos has invested in Stannis, through the Iron Bank, so that is going to cause some friction right there.

Probably in the same chapter where the Sealords' guards seize the ship that gathered slaves from Hardhome.

On 8/20/2017 at 11:06 AM, The Transporter said:

Braavos is a shipping nation and their power is sea power.  They can help remove the blockade around Meereen.  But the easiest way to remove that blockade is dragon fire.  The best way for Braavos to help?  Provide ships to carry Dany's forces when she is ready to take back the seven kingdoms.

I think most Braavosi are happy with Dany smashing the oppressive slaver powers on Essos, but have little to no interest in who ends up on the Iron Throne in Westeros. And if she stays on Essos, her next obvious target is either Volantis or Mantarys, either of which should make the Braavosi even happier.

Meanwhile, the powers that be may care more about Westeros, but they presumably have some idea what the Iron Bank is up to, and may want to wait and see how Stannis does with their money before throwing yet another candidate into the mix.

So, I don't think anyone in Braavos will be clamoring to pay for Dany's transport to Westeros.

Merry the brothel madam charges three times as much to let men rape the child Lanna, 14-year-old daughter of the Sailor's Wife.

It's naive to believe the grungy dockside brothels of Braavos aren't sites of sex-based slavery, as a child for sale confirms. I doubt Dany would quibble over definitions.

Archived