About Edmure

Obsidian Knight

In the beginning of this season we saw Arya killing all the Frey men. As I remember Freys held Edmure in their dungeons. Even after he helped them surrender his father's castle. What happened to him now? Considerable time has passed. He is kind of the only one who can lead Riverland armies now. He could be a strong ally. Why isn't he in the "game"?

What happened to him is that he is in a cell at the Twins, according to Walder in the Season 6 finale, and because the showrunners are incompetent, Arya didn't free him and he hasn't been mentioned since.

It was already bad enough that they had Jaime not keeping his word about sending him to Casterly Rock and giving him back to the Freys, but this plot hole just makes the whole Edmure situation utterly disgraceful. Doubt we'll see him again.

1 hour ago, Obsidian Knight said:

In the beginning of this season we saw Arya killing all the Frey men. As I remember Freys held Edmure in their dungeons. Even after he helped them surrender his father's castle. What happened to him now? Considerable time has passed. He is kind of the only one who can lead Riverland armies now. He could be a strong ally. Why isn't he in the "game"?

Edmure was taken prisoner after the red wedding and was kept there for a couple of seasons, among this time his wife Roslin gave birth to their son. After the Blackfish retook Riverrun he was taken down to the point of seige to be used a bargaining chip, he would be killed if the Blackfish didnt open the gates, this didnt work. However when Jaime got to Riverrun, he successfully persuaded Edmure to open the castle gates and let the Lannister army through, if he didnt do this all in the castle would be slaughtered along with his son. 

Upon completing this task he was re imprisoned in his cell beneath the Twins. He's still there but Arya has killed all the Frey men including Walder Frey. As far as we are aware hes still locked up in his cell. Maybe he'll be able to escape and rejoin the people in the Riverlands, I would presume there will be still people loyal to him.

However if we do see him again itll probably be him getting destroyed by the WW after teaming up with Jon with whatever army Edmure can muster. I'd like to think by name he could be the only one to lead the Riverlands but I'm sure they would happily follow the King in the North. Edmure isnt in the game because to be blunt hes dumb and stupid. 

Whoever we see at the Dragonpit in the Season 7 finale, will be the main focus of the rest of story.

1 hour ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Upon completing this task he was re imprisoned in his cell beneath the Twins. He's still there but Arya has killed all the Frey men including Walder Frey.

You would think that with only the Frey women left in da house, Roslin Frey Tully would think about freeing her hubby. Well, I guess it's better for Edmure not to reappear, bc now if you reappear after some time and you're not suited for the fellowshio of the wight, you're toast.

Arya hasn't met Edmure, so she wouldn't be invested in what happened to him. They would probably address the issue in the upcoming episodes/next season. This is off topic, but I think the Blackfish could be still alive as I don't think Jaime ever saw his body. Edmure and the Blackfish could play an important role in the riverlands.

1 hour ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Upon completing this task he was re imprisoned in his cell beneath the Twins. He's still there but Arya has killed all the Frey men including Walder Frey.

Edmure is now the only noble male in a castle full of maidens, widows, maidservants… I'm sure he's having a good time :P

16 minutes ago, Apoplexy said:

Arya hasn't met Edmure, so she wouldn't be invested in what happened to him. They would probably address the issue in the upcoming episodes/next season. This is off topic, but I think the Blackfish could be still alive as I don't think Jaime ever saw his body. Edmure and the Blackfish could play an important role in the riverlands.

We dont know if Arya has ever met Edmure or not.....

I pretty sure see would see him led to safety, if he could prove that he was her Uncle, basing that on if they havnt met.

I dont think it needs addressing its not a big plotline that is unfinished, hes served his purpose now just leave him in the twins.

I think you forget the scene in season 6 episode 8, a Lannister solider clearly says ''he died fighting my Lord'', Im not going to go into this any further, to assume the Lannister Army or part of it let the blackfish go is stupid. Hes dead. period.

43 minutes ago, Tianzi said:

You would think that with only the Frey women left in da house, Roslin Frey Tully would think about freeing her hubby. Well, I guess it's better for Edmure not to reappear, bc now if you reappear after some time and you're not suited for the fellowshio of the wight, you're toast.

That is a FANTASTIC point, and one I hadn't thought of and haven't seen anyone else bring up.

Great stuff.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.  With so many (all?) of the Frey men dead, you would think the women (possibly led by Roslin) would free Edmure.  My goodness, at this point there COULD actually be a strong bond between the Tullys and the Freys, based on Edmure and Roslin's marriage and child.

As far as I know he is in the dungeons and no one cares about it, which I find nonsense. For the Starks especially.

Let's say Arya doesn't know he was in the dungeons. 

But, Bran knows everything, and doesn't say anything about his uncle? Or, he might know his fate-good or bad, already, so doesn't care.

Jaime knows that all the Frey males are murdered and also knows that Edmure was locked down, so probably those Lannister soldiers Arya met took the castle and saw to Edmure. So now when the Freys are gone maybe Jaime finally will fulfill his promise to Edmure from previous season. 

But wait...CR is not Lannister's anymore.

Thank you for your answers!

Yes, Edmure is stupid and made mostly stupid choices. But Theon had the chance to prove that he is more than a miserable coward. Maybe Edmure's time will come to do something worthy.

It would be strange if they left Edmure at the Twins and never show him in the series again. Maybe he'll be the next Late Edmure and will only allow White Walkers to cross the bridge if they marry Frey daughters. ^_^

2 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Thank you for your answers!

Yes, Edmure is stupid and made mostly stupid choices. But Theon had the chance to prove that he is more than a miserable coward.

And proved nothing.... other than he still is, he needs killing off.

2 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Maybe Edmure's time will come to do something worthy.

It would be strange if they left Edmure at the Twins and never show him in the series again. Maybe he'll be the next Late Edmure and will only allow White Walkers to cross the bridge if they marry Frey daughters. ^_^

I dont see no problem, his story line ended when he was used as a bargaining chip to get into Riverrun. I personally dont want to see him again, if we do see him again it will only be to provide some defence against the WW and he will more than likely get wight'ed.

32 minutes ago, Erkan12 said:

Jaime promised him to let his wife and his children live in Westerlands iirc.

That was definitely just a ploy to get him to get him to turn over Riverrun.

Hes gullible, stupid, dumb and definitely not the sharpest tool in the box, they should have sliced his throat at the seige.

If anything the writers like always want us to take for granted or assume he is free, seen as though Arya killed every last male Frey, so really there is no one to hold him captive. 

6 hours ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Edmure is in the Frey dungeon and will remain there until Roslyn searches all the Frey corpses in the great hall, finds the key and free Edmure. 

Then he and Roslyn will rule the twins and riverrun and become loyal bannermen to Queen Jhiqhi of Storms End. 

He isn't in the game because the show runners only watched back season one and forgot that Walder put him in a dungeon in season 6. Also, Arya didn't update her BBC Westeros News app, she knew Robb's wife was pregnant but she didn't know Edmure was in the dungeon. Even though Walder just said it an hour before she killed him.  

Archived