[Poll] How would you rate episode 706?

Ran

How would you rate episode 706?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

I loved the episode for what it was, but for the first time will concede there was some awfully lazy writing. So many things could have been easily corrected, not sure what D&D was thinking. For instance, if Dany and her Dragons were already at the wall, at least we would not have to deal with the huge plot hole of gendry running a 26 mile marathon, the a raven flying 1400 miles, and on top of that, Dany and her Dragons then flying back that same 1400 miles, all in roughly 24-36 hours. Come on D & D!!!!!!!  I can forgive the Gendry marathon bit, as it didn't really seem like the party had been traveling all that long before they met up with the WW's. But the Rest???

And I am to believe that the NK just travels with 4 chains about 500 foot each,  with each individual link weighing in at roughly 70-100 lbs? Really?

Why not just have Viscerion crash land on dry ground? Did dragging him out of the Lake add anything to the story?

Two subtle changes could have made all the difference in the world. 

This show used to be about how it subverted tropes and was intelligent and about humans. Now, its about hype and epicness.

Banter was probably the best written thing. The teleportation was outrageous. Jon Snow somehow surviving after taking a plunge means his plot armor is so thick it covers half of Westeros. His Mary Sue-ishness is disgusting.

Dany being mean just isn't convincing. Sorry. You can make it work, but right now it feels forced and out of character. Why no one has proposed a marriage yet is driving me insane.

I thought dragons were supposed to be creatures of fire and all, ye know. So, not revivable? Also, where did they get chains? Just, where? And how did they get them on a dragon at the bottom of a lake? But whatever, D&D decided we need to have an epic scene with Dany and Jon facing off against the night king on dragons, so all logic be damned, we need to get the epic shot!

Oh, and Winterfell. Congratulations, you made Winterfell Dorne!

42 minutes ago, TywinBestCharacter said:

This show used to be about how it subverted tropes and was intelligent and about humans. Now, its about hype and epicness.

Because "the show used to be" anchored by well written books. Now?  D&D are just throwing their entire credibility as storytellers out the window because, fuckitimrich.

Edited by Table8

6 - had some really dumb arse storytelling but

My hero killed and claimed a dragon - Go team White Walker!

Some of the dialogue between the hound and Tormund was funny.

I find it hard to rate below 5 because as dumb as the narrative has become it's still very professionally made and engaging - and it's not quite as dumb as things like the transformers films and the new Star Wars.

I'd give it a 4. What could have been a tremendously exciting episode was destroyed by some of the stupidest writing the show has ever put on screen.

At one point I thought I'd simply turn off the tv if the dragons came to a last minute rescue.. not expecting that the writers would stoop so low. But they actually did.

There are many things this season which require faith and for you to leave your brain at the door, but the thought that you could run to the wall for miles in thickest winter, send a raven across a continent, prepare and fly across the continent on a dragon and find a lake... all in the space of a day... it's moronic. Not to mention the plan that got them there in the first place.

The first time the show has truly upset me with its stupidity

I gave it a 5, and I think I'm very generous. I'm so pissed off for the nonsensical plot that would easily rate it with 1 or 2, but I don't want to be unfair with the actors who were pretty solid, and the visuals and score that I liked. So +2 for the actors, +1 for the visuals and +1 for the score. The  extra +1 is for NO Cersei, I just can't stand her character anymore, she should have been long gone, so an episode without her just gets an extra point.

3 hours ago, direwoofwoof said:

Their scenes seemed like wasted airtime. And I hated Brianne leaving. She seems to be the only voice is reason at WF.

Agreed.

The whole Arya/Sansa sub-plot has the feel of "filler" to me, to give those characters something to do while much more important stuff is happening elsewhere.

I'll be surprised if any of it leads to any significant and permanent events for Arya, Sansa, and/or Littlefinger.

2 hours ago, Ser Not Appearing said:

There is no more clear evidence of GRRM's greatness than watching someone else try to finish writing this thing without him.

I will buy that only the day I get and actual end from ¨GRRM. The greatness of a storyteller is shown in the greatness of his story, and a good story must have a beginning, a development, and an END. 

18 minutes ago, Cron said:

Agreed.

The whole Arya/Sansa sub-plot has the feel of "filler" to me, to give those characters something to do while much more important stuff is happening elsewhere.

I'll be surprised if any of it leads to any significant and permanent events for Arya, Sansa, and/or Littlefinger.

That didnt seem like filler for me. 

I wont be surprized if something significant and permanent develops from this plotline. Wherever we see LF, it seems a betrayal of some sort soon follows. We know he's not just idily hanging out at WF.  He's plotting and there is plenty of intrigue over how this could play out.

8 minutes ago, DireWolfSpirit said:

That didnt seem like filler for me. 

I wont be surprized if something significant and permanent develops from this plotline. Wherever we see LF, it seems a betrayal of some sort soon follows. We know he's not just idily hanging out at WF.  He's plotting and there is plenty of intrigue over how this could play out.

Maybe.

You could be right.

In my mind, I'll judge it by whether, after it is resolved, everyone just basically returns to where they were before the issue arose.

I'll make this prediction, though:  NONE of them (Arya, Sansa, Littlefinger) will die this season.

Perhaps if one of them leaves Winterfell this season b/c of this issue, that will qualify as a significant development, but I honestly don't believe that will happen, either.

Even IF Arya and Sansa discover that LF let Arya find that letter (and I don't see how they could discover that, short of LF admitting it, which he is NOT going to do), he hasn't even told any lie or anything here. The letter IS real, it IS legitimate, Sansa doesn't even deny it.  (Not that I think that makes Arya's reaction reasonable, though)

Edited by Cron

2 hours ago, Error-504 said:

I loved the episode for what it was, but for the first time will concede there was some awfully lazy writing. So many things could have been easily corrected, not sure what D&D was thinking. For instance, if Dany and her Dragons were already at the wall, at least we would not have to deal with the huge plot hole of gendry running a 26 mile marathon, the a raven flying 1400 miles, and on top of that, Dany and her Dragons then flying back that same 1400 miles, all in roughly 24-36 hours. Come on D & D!!!!!!!  I can forgive the Gendry marathon bit, as it didn't really seem like the party had been traveling all that long before they met up with the WW's. But the Rest???

And I am to believe that the NK just travels with 4 chains about 500 foot each,  with each individual link weighing in at roughly 70-100 lbs? Really?

Why not just have Viscerion crash land on dry ground? Did dragging him out of the Lake add anything to the story?

Two subtle changes could have made all the difference in the world. 

Two possibilities:

1.  to hint to the audience that the NK can see the future.

2.  they are even worse idiots.

This could be another "reverse honeypot", but it is just too glaring obvious to me, and the chains clinking at the start of Season 7, Ep 1, too obvious ... so I still believe 1, despite much evidence of D&D's idiocy.

I have controversial thoughts about this episode. I cannot rate it.

I was already afraid that their mission "Get a Wight for Cersei" will turn into a disaster -- one of Dany's dragons will be turned. And it happened.

The episode was entertaining and I watched it with an open mouth but I hated many things about it.

• The way Benjen Stark died. It was horrible. I couldn't believe it... Such a fighter and survivor. They could run away together! It reminded me so much about the way Selmy died. Totally unneeded to kill for a killing's sake.
  • Jon fighting the wights when everybody else was on the dragon ready to leave. That was dumb.
  • That metal chain in the end.What the ````?
  • Arya. Why is she doing this to her sister? It seems so mean. But OK. That was just annoying.
  • Totally unplanned mission. I don't believe that they couldn't think of a more logistic plan to capture a wight. Why they didn't take the ravens? Why they cannot ride on the horses like Benjen does? (Why don't they wear the hats? That's my eternal question.) Et cetera.
  • The Hound throwing stones at the wights. Really?

The moments that I liked:

• WW killing dragon.
  • Conversation between Tormund and the Hound.
  • A moment in the boat where Dany sees Jon "taking knife in his heart for his people".
  • The moment when Jon calls Dany his queen.
  • The polar bear injuring Thoros.

Was really annoyed with the raven. Was annoyed why zimbies would actually be afraid of falling into a lake and just wait for days until the lake freezes again. Then Dany flying in the last possible second... that's Hollywood and NOT Game of thrones. Why did the Night King not throw his javelin at Jon? How did Jon get out of that lake, where there were hundreds of wights just seconds before? Did he hide for an hour underwater?

I did not even get what Sansa's plan is. I thought LF told her to use Brienne for protection against Arya and then she sends her away. Did I get that wrong? Maybe I just dont care enough anymore...

What's Bran doing? He could have sent a raven to Dany MUCH EARLIER and they need not bother with Gendry speedrunning.

Still entertaining but really disappointing. This could have been epic and awesome and it feels botched by the writing.

I have to give this 10 for the tragic end of that fine dragon that was just so wrenching, how it closed its eyes as it sadly slipped beneath the water. I'm even prepared to ignore the nonsense going on at Winterfell  because of that. I was so convinced Tormund was also going to check out - but at the last minute saved by Sandor! It was interesting how Tormund basicaly told Jon to bend the knee. Excluding the Winterfell subplot (& now that I think of it the Benjen ex machina) this episode in my opinion was on a par with any of the episodes from the first 3 seasons.
Gosh! who'd thought a dragon dying would be so provocative. Ned Stark, Red Wedding, Shireen, Viserion.

Valerian steel dagger - body armour made of dragon glass. A leap from one dragon to kill an ice dragon? ...... Future possibilities.........:)

On another note. I would love to see Ghost take an immediate shine to Dany in the next season, I'm like 95% convinced that will be a scene in season 8. The same way as in the books Ghost likes Val because Jon likes Val. (Maybe that's why Drogon liked Jon because Dany liked him rather than his blood line?)

4/10

I'll say this: it's was better presented most of the other actiony stuff this season.

But it was really, really dumb. Like, so dumb. Am I supposed to seriously buy that wights can be stopped by some cold water? And even then, can't the White Walkers just freeze the lake? When did fire stop being the only way to kill wights? Jon not getting on Drogon felt very, very contrived - pointlessly so, considering he's back safe and sound at the end of the episode. Gendry ran to Eastwatch....what? Benjen swooped in out of nowhere, and I'm still not sure why they made him Coldhands: does his magic still work even if all the Children dead?

Arya and Sansa? Another false conflict to extend Littlefinger's existence out just a tiny, tiny bit longer. 

And chains? The Others have giant chains now? Why? In case a dragon fell into a lake? 

2 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I'd give it a 4. What could have been a tremendously exciting episode was destroyed by some of the stupidest writing the show has ever put on screen.

At one point I thought I'd simply turn off the tv if the dragons came to a last minute rescue.. not expecting that the writers would stoop so low. But they actually did.

There are many things this season which require faith and for you to leave your brain at the door, but the thought that you could run to the wall for miles in thickest winter, send a raven across a continent, prepare and fly across the continent on a dragon and find a lake... all in the space of a day... it's moronic. Not to mention the plan that got them there in the first place.

The first time the show has truly upset me with its stupidity

Don't forget, birds don't fly at night and Targaryan ship also made it to the wall, it wasn't just the dragons!

For all the reasons mentioned, I gave it a 3 for CGI and that's me being really generous.

Edited by plastic throne