[Poll] How would you rate episode 706?

Ran

How would you rate episode 706?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

2/10

This was, quite possibly, the single most boring and terribly written episode of the series so far. Except for the dragons, it was terrible even visually, and usually the visual quality is what keeps me from really giving low ratings. Benjen, Gendry running back to the wall, Sansa's and Arya's stupid fighting - it was ... sad. And I'm sure they know it. I'm sure the actors know, the writers know, D&D know, HBO knows. But they have to pretend they honestly believe in this show. It's sad, it's just really fucking sad.

Every year, I show my students a top 20 of TV series worth watching. Game of Thrones once was in the top 3. Now, it would't be in a top 30. Now, at last, after I had hoped it could come back from all the bad shit since season 4, it's done. It's shit. And honestly, if I were Martin, I would denounce it now, no matter how many millions I would lose.

16 minutes ago, Gargarax said:

2/10

This was, quite possibly, the single most boring and terribly written episode of the series so far. Except for the dragons, it was terrible even visually, and usually the visual quality is what keeps me from really giving low ratings. Benjen, Gendry running back to the wall, Sansa's and Arya's stupid fighting - it was ... sad. And I'm sure they know it. I'm sure the actors know, the writers know, D&D know, HBO knows. But they have to pretend they honestly believe in this show. It's sad, it's just really fucking sad.

Every year, I show my students a top 20 of TV series worth watching. Game of Thrones once was in the top 3. Now, it would't be in a top 30. Now, at last, after I had hoped it could come back from all the bad shit since season 4, it's done. It's shit. And honestly, if I were Martin, I would denounce it now, no matter how many millions I would lose.

I wouldn't denounce it, I would have written the books and shown them how it's done. But I agree with you about everything else. 

Ok I am going to be 100% subjective here (and I assume this is what this topic is also about). I was about to give this episode a 4/5. As a lot of you have legitimately pointed out, some of the flaws can not be unseen.

- That whole Arya/Sansa teenage drama is just pure nonsense and goes again the usual subtlety of the world of ASOIAF. The way the two are acting really goes against the way they character have evolved and the absurdity of that whole situation is undoubtedly awkard. Arya is now a face-less master that is supposed to understand perfectly the nuances in people's thought and their inner conflicts whereas Sansa has been mastering the art of cunning, political strategy and manipulation through her various experiences with the finest political minds and environments in Westeros (Cersei, LittleFinger, the whole of King's Landing and so on). Still, their dialogues were completely cringy and reflected none of the characters' evolutions. Really sad to see the writers lowering their writing standards. They might be under time pressure or maybe just the whole hype around game of thrones led them to do stupid stuff.

- That plan to go and take a white walker hostage was such a poor idea or at least the way it was presented was totally absurd. Some of those dialogues between the characters were again incredibly rushed and lacking substance. Despite this whole Beyond-the-wall nonsense, the hound still manages to be a great character and I particularly appreciate how Rory McCann portrays him.

- I don't like how they are sacrificing the character of Tyrion. They are really not giving him justice. He used to be such a witty, interesting, wise, funny protagonist that used his cynisism to be one of the greatest strategist and game of thrones player. The fact that he is subject to so much loss of temper, ridiculous military and political defeats really goes against the character substance.

- As a general observation the dialogues were weak and the time-traveling is getting really out of control lol.

BUUUUUUUT (and this is where the complete subjectivity enters into my episode rating) I still gave this episode an 8/9 !

That scene where Daenerys arrives on the back of her dragon to save the day of those who were trapped by the white walkers left me speechless ! I litteraly shouted as a little child watching his favourite super hero kicking the bad guy's bum. The fighting in slow motion and the hopelessness of Jon's fight reminded me of some of the greatest battle scenes in Lord of the Rings (which really left a great impression on me as young kid). I thought the music was also incredible and that moment was really well shot and worked really well for me ! Jon coming back to the Wall reminded me of Aragorn coming back to Helm's Deep after he was left from the battle with the wargs.
I know some of you might think differently (and I think it is perfectly legit) but I genuinely thought the Daenerys/Jon scene on the ship was really good. I will admit without a problem that it was awkward when he called her Dany but it did not took the emotion of the scene away. I thought Emilia acted really well when portraying Daenerys' reaction when Jon Snow recognized her authority as Queen.
I guess I really got into the epicness of those last minutes which put me on a state of great emotions that took the objectivity out of me (and it's great, that's what I want from a TV show :D).

However, I am not forgetting all the flaws that I mentionned previously, and the other negative aspects you all rightfully pointed out in previous posts. I hope that D&D will be responsive to fans criticism and improve these points for the final season.

Also, it's my first post on this forum so I just wanted to say that I am really admirative of the passion of this whole community towards GoT and ASOIF and I am delighted to be a (very small) part of it ! :):)

Edited by MithrandirAnor

49 minutes ago, Gargarax said:

2/10

The scary thing is that so many fans are still eating it up. Watch videos of the live reactions of viewers at Burlington Bar, these people cheer and whoop, it's utterly embarrassing. I can't help but feel they are just trying to cater to this type of viewer now, getting really popular was the worst thing to happen to this show. 

It feels as if the show wants to be more of a spectacle than a drama with great characters. And this episode was a good spectacle, but a bad episode of GoT.  Dany teleports from Dragonstone to save the day, Arya acts like such an edgy little brat (the whole Winterfell story is just bad), the Dany/Jon romance is weak, and Benjen shows up out of nowhere just to die.

I did enjoy were a few funny lines from our boys beyond the wall, and the part where the Night King gets a Blue Eyes White Dragon.

I feel that as long people applaud an episode despite plotholes, character deviations, exaggerations, contradictions, poor writing....  (which people have the right to do so...) there is no incentive for the show to get better, or to any other directors and writers in the future to make something plausible...

Like, no matter what somebody writes, you just put some action and nice CGI and people will love and pay.... and our population gets less and less intellectually challenged.

Edited by King Louis II (KLII)

2 minutes ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

I feel that as long people applaud an episode despite plotholes, character deviations, exaggerations, contradictions, poor writing....  (which people have the right to do so...) there is no incentive for the show to get better, or to any other directors and writers in the future to make something plausible...

Like, no matter what somebody writes, you just put some action and nice CGI and people will love and pay.... and our population gets less and less intellectually challenged.

We passed that time probably in season 5.  The show is not going to 'get better' because (1) despite the fact that it has made less sense each season since season 4 it gains in popularity each year, (2) they only have 6 more episodes, the showrunners aren't all of a sudden going to stop being sloppy.  The only thing that could save the show is if GRRM became as involved as he was the first 1-3 years, if he wrote one or even two episodes, visited the set and was a real active participant.

2 hours ago, Daske said:

I loved it. For me GoT has always been 1/3 fantasy drama, 1/3 soap opera and 1/3 horror show. Ticked all my boxes.

I agree, I found it very good for other reasons. The scenes beyond the Wall were awesome and honestly I didn't know what'd happen. I didn't know it was a longer episode so I thought well this might be it for a lot of them. When Dany came I was psyched. I know it was reminiscent of the last time but it was cool nonetheless. I was heartbroken when Viserion got taken down as well :(!

I really liked the scenes with Dany and Jon and esp. at the end. I want to see how that plays out.

I also liked the scenes at Winterfell. I think LF may go next episode. I don't have a clear opinion on what's happening with them but I have to watch that scene at the end again. I don't think he has as much sway as he think he does but those scenes were still suspenseful.

10/10

3 minutes ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

The incentive for the show to get better is relevant to the number of the viewers not the criticism of the viewers. As long as someone watches it it doesn't matter much if he criticizes the show, from the producer's viewpoint that is/  

Just now, Cas Stark said:

We passed that time probably in season 5.  The show is not going to 'get better' because (1) despite the fact that it has made less sense each season since season 4 it gains in popularity each year, (2) they only have 6 more episodes, the showrunners aren't all of a sudden going to stop being sloppy.  The only thing that could save the show is if GRRM became as involved as he was the first 1-3 years, if he wrote one or even two episodes, visited the set and was a real active participant.

I am not talking specifically to GoT, but I am referring to any other show that deviates from their own set rules. 

I am talking about series in general where action>plots

Just now, Nakraal said:

The incentive for the show to get better is relevant to the number of the viewers not the criticism of the viewers. As long as someone watches it it doesn't matter much if he criticizes the show, from the producer's viewpoint that is/  

yes, and thats why I not watching the sequels

2 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

jumped the shark for me in S5 when Brienne said they'd go around Moat Cailin, but it now jumped the dragon with chains for sure!

ohthe chains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! how did they get them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?? maybe bought then in KL, NK teleported or something?

Edited by Meera of Tarth

It's a bad episode. 3/10

I would rate it 1/10 but I laughed so many times, and also cried with Viserion's heroic death, so it's not an apocalypse, just a terrible earthquake.

what I liked:

-NK being smart. NK with the twist of the wight dragon (although I feel bad for him bc he was never loved, he starved during two years in a cell and died for a stupid plan)

-Benjen's reapparance and sacrifice for his nephew (I liked the fact he was a true hero, not the fact that he had to save Jon, because, admitedly, Jon deserved to die due to his stupid decions, not that I despise him like a villain, just saying that logically, he should not be alive bc he is sooooooo dumb).

-I liked that I laughed so hard many many times. WIght! The wight!!!! The wights patrooling, oh it was like a comedy

-Gendry saving the day and saying the same words (Ravens!!!!)that Brandon Stark had said in the last episode to save the day

-Gingers mention, Jaime's mention, Brienne going to KL

What I didn't like:

Basically the rest

Edited by Meera of Tarth