[Poll] How would you rate episode 706?

Ran

How would you rate episode 706?  

371 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

2 hours ago, JagLover said:

An example of which is the fact that show Westeros is smaller than book Westeros. Which they tell you in S1E1. 

It's 1000 miles from WF to KL according to Cersei in S1E1. WF is still several hundreds of miles south of the wall. And they showed us the M7 walking in a mountain range, beyond the haunted forest (which you see from the wall), and it must have been far away enough so the mountain looking like a fist isn't visible from atop the wall. And looking at a map they were closer to the Bridge of Skulls west of the wall (aka the frost fangs), than they were to Eastwatch. Willing to let the last slide, but euhm they certainly walked beyond what takes a day of walking distance.

3 hours ago, JagLover said:

I always remember a review of the Matrix Revolutions when a critic talked about the great visuals, which was so much sound and fury signifying nothing, as it was in the service of a plot so banal.

This season, even the show itself, has been damaged by basic flaws in the writing in terms of the structure. The characters do what the plot demands so that D&D can arrive at their "awesome" moments.

Putting that aside and viewing the episode in isolation it has decent dialogue, mostly good acting, good action and excellent special effects. It feels so empty to many though as it is all part of the nonsensical quest D&D have sent them on.

In isolation I voted a 9, but it was probably more like an 8, but I understand those who are voted around the 5s. 

I do think however that people tend to attribute anything they do not understand to the show runners being stupid. 

An example of which is the fact that show Westeros is smaller than book Westeros. Which they tell you in S1E1. 

Really? Where?

15 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

LF asked Sansa what would happen if there was a conflict between her and Arya - surely Brienne would step in and settle it. People have suggested he would try to use Brienne against Arya.  Maybe Sansa sensed he was scheming something like that and felt the best thing to do was send Brienne off to thwart whatever he might be planning.  That's the most logical thing I've been able to come up with.

I would love to see Sansa betraying Littlefinger as he betrayed her father.

Actually, when Arya gave Littlefinger's knife to Sansa it could be a hint to kill him so Arya could use his face for sisters to achieve a common goal. To kill Cersey.

Edited by Obsidian Knight

15 hours ago, SansaJonRule said:

You do make a very good point about how to fill the time if the logistics were going to be logical.  That's part of the reason the whole capture a wight mission was such a stupid idea.   I know they needed a way to get the dragons up there so the NK could kill one, but if they couldn't come up with a better way, then why make them go so far from Eastwatch?  We know they are getting close and that is why Jon looked almost panic stricken when he read Bran's letter.  That would have made it so much more believable.

Your screen name is hilarious, especially in light of how many references there have been to Red Shirts in this episode!  (And the fact that I just watched a few episodes of original ST the other night.)

Thank you, Live long & prosper!

Personally I would prefer they use artistic license with logistics then limit the story to a small geographical area. The whole capture a wight idea was silly but logistics was the least of its problems.

Eventually, I decided to go with 4/10. I very rarely rate anything below 6 but this episode was just something else. The majority of scenes in Winterfell didn't make any sense, unless you are knee deep in fan theories and then think about the scenes for several hours. The plotline beyond the Wall had so many plotholes and nonsenses that it makes you scratch your head in disbelief nonstop. And to finish off the audince's already very ruined mental health, Dany+Jon is becoming real.

12 minutes ago, Nerevanin said:

Eventually, I decided to go with 4/10. I very rarely rate anything below 6 but this episode was just something else. The majority of scenes in Winterfell didn't make any sense, unless you are knee deep in fan theories and then think about the scenes for several hours. The plotline beyond the Wall had so many plotholes and nonsenses that it makes you scratch your head in disbelief nonstop. And to finish off the audince's already very ruined mental health, Dany+Jon is becoming real.

Daenerys and Jon make political sense... You should see that by now.

10 hours ago, JagLover said:

I always remember a review of the Matrix Revolutions when a critic talked about the great visuals, which was so much sound and fury signifying nothing, as it was in the service of a plot so banal.

This season, even the show itself, has been damaged by basic flaws in the writing in terms of the structure. The characters do what the plot demands so that D&D can arrive at their "awesome" moments.

Putting that aside and viewing the episode in isolation it has decent dialogue, mostly good acting, good action and excellent special effects. It feels so empty to many though as it is all part of the nonsensical quest D&D have sent them on.

In isolation I voted a 9, but it was probably more like an 8, but I understand those who are voted around the 5s. 

I do think however that people tend to attribute anything they do not understand to the show runners being stupid. 

I can't remember when now, but I recall that the show has explicitly said, several times, that the distances are quite long, almost like in the books.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

17 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

It bothered me that she was more concerned about Jon. Yes, she was affected, not saying he wasn't, but she should have cried, IMO. The dragons were her children.

Given more time, it would have been more believable...

A whole episode where dany is angry, sad.. she refuses to eat. She doent sleep.

Jon hears about this..tries to get up. But falls back. Davos helps him...

Next day daavos OR jorah talks to daenerys. That she needs to take revenge..

Then somebody mentions Jon.

Then Daenerys thinks "oh i forgot about him" then goes to him.

She tears up again when dragons are mentioned. Exactly as they showed in the episode..

Sounds good?

D&D wanted only 7 episodes. Thanks a lot cunts..

Then in the nex

53 minutes ago, robasp2 said:

Given more time, it would have been more believable...

A whole episode where dany is angry, sad.. she refuses to eat. She doent sleep.

Jon hears about this..tries to get up. But falls back. Davos helps him...

Next day daavos OR jorah talks to daenerys. That she needs to take revenge..

Then somebody mentions Jon.

Then Daenerys thinks "oh i forgot about him" then goes to him.

She tears up again when dragons are mentioned. Exactly as they showed in the episode..

Sounds good?

D&D wanted only 7 episodes. Thanks a lot cunts..

Then in the nex

Sounds better

9 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

It's 1000 miles from WF to KL according to Cersei in S1E1. WF is still several hundreds of miles south of the wall. And they showed us the M7 walking in a mountain range, beyond the haunted forest (which you see from the wall), and it must have been far away enough so the mountain looking like a fist isn't visible from atop the wall. And looking at a map they were closer to the Bridge of Skulls west of the wall (aka the frost fangs), than they were to Eastwatch. Willing to let the last slide, but euhm they certainly walked beyond what takes a day of walking distance.

It is 1,000 miles BY ROAD in the show

But 500 leagues as the crow flies in the books (1,500 miles). Hence show Westeros is considerably smaller than book Westeros so all distances cited for the show in this forum, based on the books, are incorrect.

I fully agree that there are many aspects of the catch a wight storyline that are incredible stupid. The problem is people seem to be ascribing anything not fully explained to them as stupidity.

Another example is the Nights King not reaching the wall. On another forum someone pointed out that the Mountain in the background when the NK was created looks remarkably similar to the mountain in this episode. Perhaps he is waiting for full winter where he was created?, which was obviously a place of power. 

12 minutes ago, JagLover said:

But 500 leagues as the crow flies in the books (1,500 miles). Hence show Westeros is considerably smaller than book Westeros so all distances cited for the show in this forum, based on the books, are incorrect.

A road that is pretty straight from North to South. 1/3 smaller doesn' t make Westeros the size of the UK all of a sudden. And again they were well beyond the wall, beyodn the haunted forest, and the wall is several hundreds of miles north of WF. So, being generous you still have about 1000 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone.

Edited by sweetsunray

14 minutes ago, JagLover said:

I fully agree that there are many aspects of the catch a wight storyline that are incredible stupid. The problem is people seem to be ascribing anything not fully explained to them as stupidity.

Another example is the Nights King not reaching the wall. On another forum someone pointed out that the Mountain in the background when the NK was created looks remarkably similar to the mountain in this episode. Perhaps he is waiting for full winter where he was created?, which was obviously a place of power. 

The crow has a particular Sonic Drive In he likes to hit on the way, which pulls him 500 miles off course. :P

4 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

A road that is pretty straight from North to South. 1/3 smaller doesn' t make Westeros the size of the UK all of a sudden. And again they were well beyond the wall, beyodn the haunted forest, and the wall is several hundreds of miles north of WF. So, being generous you still have about 1000 miles between Eastwatch and Dragonstone.

Well it isn't exactly a 1/3 because no road would be exactly straight.

But fair enough, 1,000 miles which is still as long way, but I have heard 2,000 miles stated as fact. 

Say an eight hours flight?

6 minutes ago, JagLover said:

Well it isn't exactly a 1/3 because no road would be exactly straight.

But fair enough, 1,000 miles which is still as long way, but I have heard 2,000 miles stated as fact. 

Say an eight hours flight?

So, a raven flying 125 mph (200 km/h)? That's a raven at the speed of hurricane 5 winds. :lmao:

Instead of tourneys Westerosi should be holding Formula Raven competitions between House Ferrari and House McClaren.

Edited by sweetsunray

On 21/8/2017 at 0:25 PM, RhaenysB said:

Everything. Literally everything was wrong with this fucking episode and this is the first time in the history of my fandom that I'm asking myself, do I want to watch season 8 at all?

I agree. I liked season 1-5. 6 had some flaws that irritated me. But this season has been a disaster in plot, logic and acting. episode 3 is imo the best in this season. Next episode has to be very good to keep me hyped about season 8. Perhaps D&D will manage for all the storylines to make sense, I just can't see how.

Sometimes I think of the TV-show as A Walking Dead spin off.

It's going to depend on how the audience reacts to Jon and Dany together....if the audience does a collective groan and thinks it's either cheesy, unrealistic or distasteful due to incest or if people are like hell yeah, about time the two leads got together....

Other than this last episode which ranks as one of the worst of the series, I thought this season has been overall better than 5 and 6, not by a lot but slightly better.  And the spoils of war was a very, very good episode.

35 minutes ago, Raven Banner said:

I agree. I liked season 1-5. 6 had some flaws that irritated me. But this season has been a disaster in plot, logic and acting. episode 3 is imo the best in this season. Next episode has to be very good to keep me hyped about season 8. Perhaps D&D will manage for all the storylines to make sense, I just can't see how.

Sometimes I think of the TV-show as A Walking Dead spin off.

I was mostly okay with season 5 except for the Dorne plot. Season 6 was damn rocky with one or two solid episodes and handful of visual highlights and two exceptionally terrible episodes. Characterization, common sense and previously established legal and economic frame of the context were all thrown out of the window for the sake of internet popular "ideas". 

Season 7 went deeper into this wood and at this point I doubt there's a way out. The show is about nothing but fanservice and internet popularity and a shallow take on trending ideologies. Every single character is a one dimensional caricature of their previous self or the exact same internet hashtag, the plot fails to make sense even in its own right, the dialogue is mostly bad, the acting barely any better, and the overall vibe is that creators and cast and crew are all sick of the show and want to be rid of it with as little effort and as much money as possible. They are making amateur mistakes in the writing which could all be evaded if they spent more than two hours coming up with the plot. I really don't think there's a way back from here.  

11 hours ago, sweetsunray said:

And they showed us the M7 walking in a mountain range, beyond the haunted forest (which you see from the wall), and it must have been far away enough so the mountain looking like a fist isn't visible from atop the wall. And looking at a map they were closer to the Bridge of Skulls west of the wall (aka the frost fangs), than they were to Eastwatch. Willing to let the last slide, but euhm they certainly walked beyond what takes a day of walking distance.

What? Are you saying Gendry run all the way from Bridge of Skulls in the west, pass by Castle Black and other castles, to collapse before Eastwatch?

No, they were on the east coast, somewhere between Hardhome and Eastwatch. We know there are mountains at Hardhome. And if you watch Bran's ravens' vision from the last episode, they flew over Eastwatch and then over some mountains - why would the ravens fly over Eastwatch if they were going west from Winterfell? Btw in that vision Night King was standing on the "last stand rock".