Jump to content
Ran

[Poll] How would you rate episode 706?

How would you rate episode 706?  

367 members have voted

  1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

    • 1
      44
    • 2
      28
    • 3
      35
    • 4
      32
    • 5
      38
    • 6
      28
    • 7
      31
    • 8
      40
    • 9
      43
    • 10
      48


Recommended Posts

Last season I remarked that the level of writing on this show was on par with 2 broke girls. I have to make a huge and sincere apology .... to 2 broke girls. The writing on game of thrones is much, much, much worse. At this point I have to say that this is really the poorest written show on television.


The fact that they have such wonderful actors (and emilia Clarke), such a large budget, such magnificent set design, such tremendous genius in everything else that goes into the show it is truly a horrible shame that the script amounts to an enormous post taco bell turd only without the satisfying conclusion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gargarax said:

I am sure some know - particularly the more experienced ones, like Liam Cunningham or Rory McCann. They have worked with better scripts and have experienced good directors, who would make them know their characters intimately. I don't think we can blame Sophie Turner, Maisie Williams or even Kit Harrington for still speaking up for the show; they had their break-through with it and have done little else of worth so far.

I doubt they don't care, or at least I hope they don't. Even if you make lots of money, as an "artist" (did I really just call Kit that?), you should have enough self-respect to prefer interesting roles over those that pay well. Maybe many actors, just like many fans, are still hoping that the show can find back to its initial strength. Though by now, I would bet a lot of money that that will never happen.

Yeah, that's a positive approach. I'll try to think of it that way.

as for finding back to its initial strength... I've been hoping that would happen for a couple years now, but after this episode I must say there's just no coming back from here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I don't even know what to say. At this point, criticizing this show is like a grown man beating up a new born baby. I will not be voting this week, as the lowest possible vote is a one, and there is no way in Seven hells that I am going to up-vote this pathetic episode to a one.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to post the poll results, as I am curious to see how many of the people who are constantly calling others that give the show a low score trolls, gave this episode a ten.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great episode. So much payoff on stuff theorised for decades, the hounds importance, ice dragon, Jon and Dany, etc. From a film making point of view, superb. Gripping, thrilling, fantastic effects. Yes the change of pace is likely to jar those used to the glacial pace set by George and seasons 2-5, but these things need to reach a conclusion and we are so clearly heading for one, it's just delicious. And yes, this is a work of fantasy, dragons, others, undead, reborn. Don't forget that and get bogged down in details like speed of travel when there are bloody dragons flying! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Well, I don't even know what to say. At this point, criticizing this show is like a grown man beating up a new born baby. I will not be voting this week, as the lowest possible vote is a one, and there is no way in Seven hells that I am going to up-vote this pathetic episode to a one.

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to post the poll results, as I am curious to see how many of the people who are constantly calling others that give the show a low score trolls, gave this episode a ten.

at present:

33...1
19...2
27...3
22...4
32...5
23...6
28...8
40...9
38...10

=> 50.7 % rated it between 1-5, average score is 4.87/10 at the moment.

Edited by sweetsunray

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

at present:

33...1
19...2
27...3
22...4
32...5
23...6
28...8
40...9
38...10

=> 50.7 % rated it between 1-5, average score is 4.87/10 at the moment.

Definitely more people rated it above '5'. Looks like you forgot to count the '7' rating. It will still have a pretty low rating though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, sweetsunray said:

at present:

33...1
19...2
27...3
22...4
32...5
23...6
28...8
40...9
38...10

=> 50.7 % rated it between 1-5, average score is 4.87/10 at the moment.

You're missing the people that rated it a 7

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I blame GRRM for the mess this has become. Not finishing up the books and letting Benioff and Weiss have free reign to push it through as fast as they can.  As popular as the series is, they must have the money to go more than 7 episodes for this season.  Instead they try to fool the audience with dragons.  Ohhhhh...DRAGONS!  Look there, and forget about the crappy writing viewers!
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Monster_Under_the_Bed said:

Definitely more people rated it above '5'. Looks like you forgot to count the '7' rating. It will still have a pretty low rating though.

I did :blush: Sorry not on purpose. I rated this one a 5 myself, but had to alter my score for the first from 5 to 4 because of the missing giants.

So... corrected at present results:

33...1

19...2

27...3

23...4

33...5

24...6

27...7

28...8

40...9

28...10

total votes 282, total score 1606 => average 5.69 / 10 , 47.8% voted between 1-5.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you @sweetsunray:)

---

I have to say, I personally find it unfathomable that this episode received any ten votes at all, but I can't say that I'm surprised. To each their own I suppose.

Now let me make it clear, I am not criticizing anyone who gave this episode a good rating. Obviously, everyone has their own method of scoring, and we are all entitled to our opinion, as well as one's enjoyment of a television program being quite subjective. However, I must say, if you gave this episode a passing grade, and are one of those who have accused others of being trolls in the past, then you need to take a long, hard look in the mirror; YOU my friend, are the troll!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Eve said:

I blame GRRM for the mess this has become. Not finishing up the books and letting Benioff and Weiss have free reign to push it through as fast as they can.  As popular as the series is, they must have the money to go more than 7 episodes for this season.  Instead they try to fool the audience with dragons.  Ohhhhh...DRAGONS!  Look there, and forget about the crappy writing viewers!
 

 

Ugh! There is a lot of this on the forum today. I'm just going to copy and paste a response I just gave on another thread.

GRRM is not responsible for d&d's incompetence. They are professional writers, making a shit load of money. If they can receive an Emmy for their writing - all be it completely undeserved - then they should be held responsible for the pathetic drivel that they have put out the past couple of seasons.

I have seen several members of this forum, just in the span of the last day, come up with far more intelligent and plausible scenarios to make d&d's shit story work better than they have.

Edited by Darkstream

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 8:13 AM, Mother of Mini Dragons said:

I gave this one a 7. I rarely complain but there was so much wrong here. My husband thought it was great. I don't get it.

Men are often happy as long as there is great action and don't care if it makes sense or not (no offense to you deeper thinking men).  My husband loves to see things go boom, and it doesn't matter that half of the show is totally unrealistic (i.e the good guys are always excellent marksmen while the bad guys can't hit the broad side of a barn 5 feet away).  But even he has had trouble suspending logic this season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

GRRM is not responsible for d&d's incompetence. They are professional writers, making a shit load of money. If they can receive an Emmy for their writing - all be it completely undeserved - then they should be held responsible for the pathetic drivel that they have put out the past couple of seasons.

I have seen several members of this forum, just in the span of the last day, come up with far more intelligent and plausible scenarios to d&d's shit story than they have.

I think who is partially "responsible" is actually the viewers themselves.

It looks to me that when a series like GoT starts, the first fans that are attracted to are the ones that like and expect exactly what GoT and the Books are all about. Consistency, Fantasy but with realism, Great depiction of the medieval times, attention to details and mythology, multidimensional characters and political intrigue. This first set of fans became in love with the show and have developed their own culture (with forums like this are part of). These fans were very vocal and passionate about what they considered (me included) one of the best things that art (yes not only TV) produced in generations. Then our excitement started to spread to other people that take a peek to the show and say "Cool!!  Dragons,  Zombies and naked chicks and dudes!". Them suddenly it starts to get viral and to attract people that would see the show for the same type of the action or plot that you will see in Transformers, Godzilla or Scorpion King.

Then these new fans (which are not better or worst, but have a different taste) outnumber the people that like GoT because their original reasons, and the Directors may feel that now, the public that they are appealing to changed. So more Action and CGI and less politics and consistence...

Some people now watch because the cinematography, the effects... (which anybody is entitled too). As long there is cool stuff they will give a 10... and they are being honest with themselves.

But to me... as GoT was? R.I.P.

The logical consequence that I see, is that hardcore fans (me included)  will be as disappointed as former LOST fans (me included) and will not watch any sequel or successors that HBO produces... and without this "base" the next shows will not be popular and will fail...

my opinion...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

Ugh! There is a lot of this on the forum today. I'm just going to copy and paste a response I just gave on another thread.

GRRM is not responsible for d&d's incompetence. They are professional writers, making a shit load of money. If they can receive an Emmy for their writing - all be it completely undeserved - then they should be held responsible for the pathetic drivel that they have put out the past couple of seasons.

I have seen several members of this forum, just in the span of the last day, come up with far more intelligent and plausible scenarios to d&d's shit story than they have.

I have to agree for the most part.  I don't know what these guys have done in the past, but maybe they really aren't such great writers.  When they were following the books closely the show was great. It seems they need very good material to work with; on their own this season, they've just gotten worse and worse.  Or maybe they have forgotten their audience?  Because the really bad stuff reminds me a lot of the bad stuff Hollywood puts out but that audiences just eat up.  I just read what @King Louis II (KLII) wrote and he says in detail what I am trying to convey.

I also blame the execs who decided to compress the seasons.  Maybe they're tired of spending so much money on the show, but why would you take such a wildly popular series and rush to finish it to the point that you risk ruining it? 

I do blame Martin for not insisting he play a larger consulting role, but I guess he just wanted the money.  And maybe if he would quit writing all these other books he could concentrate on the finishing the last two!

Edited by SansaJonRule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 10:02 AM, Obsidian Knight said:

I agree. I didn't get it either. If she promised to protect both the girls, then why is Sansa sending her away? Does she really want to deal with her sister with Littlefinger's help though she has seen her sister's skills.

LF asked Sansa what would happen if there was a conflict between her and Arya - surely Brienne would step in and settle it. People have suggested he would try to use Brienne against Arya.  Maybe Sansa sensed he was scheming something like that and felt the best thing to do was send Brienne off to thwart whatever he might be planning.  That's the most logical thing I've been able to come up with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, SansaJonRule said:

LF asked Sansa what would happen if there was a conflict between her and Arya - surely Brienne would step in and settle it. People have suggested he would try to use Brienne against Arya.  Maybe Sansa sensed he was scheming something like that and felt the best thing to do was send Brienne off to thwart whatever he might be planning.  That's the most logical thing I've been able to come up with.

My most logical reason is that the sisters are baiting LF to commit a convictable treason, and it is less likely to happen if Brienne is afoot.  Specifically, I think Arya is entrapping LF to recruit her to kill Sansa and take her place using her face.  Brienne's absence leaves the pathway to that end more open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2017 at 10:20 AM, RedShirt47 said:

I wavered between a 7 and an 8, went with 8 as I did enjoy the banter.

The logistics of folk getting around so quickly don't bother me anymore. They could write the show in a way that the logistics were more realistic but that would involve having to put in lots of filler so the timing worked. With infinite budgets they could pull it off but even then we'd have to watch lots of filler (some of which could be interesting world building but by this stage of the story even interesting world building would be annoying).

You do make a very good point about how to fill the time if the logistics were going to be logical.  That's part of the reason the whole capture a wight mission was such a stupid idea.   I know they needed a way to get the dragons up there so the NK could kill one, but if they couldn't come up with a better way, then why make them go so far from Eastwatch?  We know they are getting close and that is why Jon looked almost panic stricken when he read Bran's letter.  That would have made it so much more believable.

Your screen name is hilarious, especially in light of how many references there have been to Red Shirts in this episode!  (And the fact that I just watched a few episodes of original ST the other night.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding the ravens, do we know how fast they fly?  Because there have been other episodes where they sure did seem to get from point A to point B very quickly.  This is fantasy after all, we can't assume real life equivalence in everything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×