Ran

22 minutes ago, Nymeria Stone said:

why did sansa send brienne away after all? makes no sense to me

I'm guessing the main reason it happened was because Brienne has some part to play in the Counsel of Cersei going on in Kings Landing. The Hound is heading that way, Jamie is there, there's a lot more intrigue for her in KL than WF....So short answer: lazy writing, but hopefully it pays off.

Edited by House Martell

1 minute ago, Nymeria Stone said:

well, i get that, but I think it would be way smarter to keep someone as loyal and skilled very close to you.

I agree.

Just trying to apply logic where logic goes to die...D&D's writing.

5 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

I'm not following. They showed Rhaegal flying when Viserion went down. Maybe you're the only person asking because you're the only person that didn't see all three dragons for some reason. 

I saw all 3 there, etc. Only saw one flying after the battle. If Rhaegal (or Drogon) is getting spa treatment, I just want to know. AFAIK they only showed Drogon after the battle.

1 minute ago, Neue Regel said:

AFAIK they only showed Drogon after the battle.

Now I'm really not following.  You mean when Dany was watching for Jon at the Wall and a dragon was flying around above?

How does not seeing both dragons during that scene amount to a plot hole or the audiences apparent inability to count?

4 minutes ago, Nymeria Stone said:

the greatest question is:

why did the night king just stared at jon's party when he could've easily killed them all by throwing those ice spears? he wouldn't even need to stand up.

also, does it make sense for the NK to be so strong?

I bet those spears are meant for dragons, like the equivalent of Dragon Glass to the WW. A normal spear didn't do much to Drogon but the ice spear effed up Viserion. Prob wouldn't waste them on people.

2 hours ago, plectrum said:

I should be learning.  The plan is to go to Oslo and maybe Leuven next summer.  

I used to live near Leuven. That is a cool little town. The university library was rebuilt after the Nazis bombed it by donations from schools and students in America. Belgium is great, enjoy it.

2 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

Now I'm really not following.  You mean when Dany was watching for Jon at the Wall and a dragon was flying around above?

How does not seeing both dragons during that scene amount to a plot hole or the audiences apparent inability to count?

AFAIK, they only showed Drogon after the battle. I'm not necessarily saying it's a plot hole. If I missed something, fine. I just want to know where Rhaegal is. Are they setting this up for a dramatic entrance?

6 minutes ago, Nymeria Stone said:

the greatest question is:

why did the night king just stared at jon's party when he could've easily killed them all by throwing those ice spears? he wouldn't even need to stand up.

also, does it make sense for the NK to be so strong?

I asked the same question until I came to the realization that the Night King was not  trying to kill the party. I think he was expecting the Dragons and just wanted to kill them. 

I also think there is a big connection between Bran and the Night King. They may be the same person or share the same power. 

Just now, Neue Regel said:

AFAIK, they only showed Drogon after the battle. I'm not necessarily saying it's a plot hole. If I missed something, fine. I just want to know where Rhaegal is. Are they setting this up for a dramatic entrance?

All three dragons where there

Dragon was landed to pick up the group, Viserion got hit, and we saw one other dragon right behind it

31 minutes ago, The Knight of Flours said:

Night's King: "Here are two massive chains I have hidden in my pocket"

Maybe those are the ones that didn't get used in the Battle of Blackwater...

1 minute ago, Knight of Ashes said:

Once, I would have thought Jon unneccesarily lingering to fight off wights was plot induced stupidity but after the Battle of the Bastards, and this, I now really think he's something of a moron, and Sansa really should be the one to rule the North.

Agreed, especially after we heard that Jon hadn't bothered to contact them in weeks. (Based on the way they were able to contact Dany and get her there quickly, sending ravens is an easy thing to do.) Let Sansa rule the North and I'm beginning to think Cersei and Jaime getting married and ruling the South would be better than Dany or Jon or Dany/Jon/

I was really glad that Jon and Jorah discussed Jeor and Longclaw.  I thought for sure that Jorah saying no to the sword was foreshadowing his death, but I'm glad to see that didn't happen.  As someone mentioned above, a comment about Lyanna Mormont would have been good.

I know that Brienne going to KL will lead to a reunion with Jaime, but I actually think Tormund is more deserving of her.  Of course, Cersei will try to kill Brienne because she represents Sansa, and that will cause Jaime to break with Cersei.  I'm just not a Brienne/Jaime shipper so it kinda annoys me.  Of course, Brienne will arrive in KL in 1 episode after borrowing LF's teleportation device.

I was thinking that a couple of the Snowmen would die, so it was a little bit of a let down that only Thoros died.  The NK could easily have killed all of them.  Why didn't he?  (I am glad they evened the playing field and showed how dragons can also be killed by the WW.) Of course, Sandor can now go to Winterfell and help Sansa and Arya (and reveal the truth about Sansa's suffering to Arya and the truth about LF to both of them) so that's good.  Also, I thought that was a waste of Gendry, other than the joke about Tormund having sex with him.  Maybe he will also go to Winterfell and help get the real Arya back.

I was really hoping to either see Tyrion jump on a dragon to accompany Dany or to see Jon rise from the water on the back of whichever dragon that was that got wighted.  Frankly, that would have been cooler than Benjen ex machina IMO.  BTW, would it have killed them to have Dany or Jorah call out the name of the dragon that got hit?

Jon calling Dany by her name was weird.  How would he even know that was her nickname?  They should have had Jorah call her that at some point--I think he's the only one left who ever called her that. I get that it was just to get to the part where Jon called her "my Queen" but that was jarring for some reason. I wish they had just made them have an arranged marriage, rather than trying to make it a love match.

Arya was really pissing me off this episode...to the point where it won't bother me if Sansa kills her. Maybe they want to create a dramatic impact when she finally sees Jon again.  And by the way, what's preventing Arya from wearing nice clothes and getting a decent haircut? No doubt, Sansa can hook her up quickly.  (BTW, I was hoping we would finally see Arya with a good haircut and clothes that flatter her--poor Maisie has had no luck in costuming since Season 1.)

I liked that the Hound continues to shy away from fire.  I did like Beric's mention of the Mountain and the reminder of the fact that the Hound was hurt by his brother--potential CleganeBowl foreshadowing?

Tyrion's succession planning was smart--too bad Dany was not wise enough to think about it. Perhaps seeing the death of one of her dragons will make her think differently.  I also liked the mention of the "democratic" processes or the IronBorn and the NW.  Perhaps that's where Westeros is headed.

2 hours ago, Pandean said:
  Hide contents

I'm not sure if I'm doing this right - Gendry with Sansa would be bad. He's too short for her! Actually, I have wondered whether, now that they are in the same part of town, Sansa might renew her friendship with the Hound. And that (speculatively) could impact the Sansa/Arya conflict (which I hate, love them both) . The Hound is still on Arya's list. I don't think Arya demonstrated complete superiority over Brienne. (The movie ROB ROY has a great climactic scene between Liam Neeson and Tim Roth, where a guy with a whippy little rapier makes everybody with big heavy broadswords look stupid - until...) If Brienne was fully engaged and understood that she needed to play defense against Arya...

2 hours ago, Pandean said:
  Hide contents

Gendry and Sansa end up together and they have kids or something

1 minute ago, Blood on the Saddle said:

I think Brienne will still end up with Jaime somehow. But they will still get some mileage out of his crush on her

Jaime and Brienne is also something I love.

But this Tormund this is too great not to want. 

1 hour ago, Raksha 2014 said:

Sansa does deserve some credit for the fact that Winterfell is back in Stark hands.  Jon wanted to go off "somewhere warm" and Sansa pushed him into fighting to reclaim Winterfell.   And yes, the Vale-lords did come for Sansa.  Sansa is also entitled by birth order to be the Lady of Winterfell if Bran abdicates, which he has; and that counts hugely in Westerosi succession.  And Jon has left Sansa in charge and (if I remember correctly) said that she is the Lady of Winterfell; after Sansa did not protest (and graciously accepted) Jon's being named King in the North.

Has Sansa been somewhat manipulative?  Yes.  Has she betrayed Jon, or the North?  No.  What I don't care for is Arya's harping on Sansa's pretty clothes and liking for nice things and fondness for 'knitting' and assumptions about Sansa's behavior without having witnessed it in context.  As I said, Arya remembers Sansa standing with the Lannisters in nice clothes and a nice hairdo when Ned was being dragged to his execution; but she doesn't remember Sansa screaming and struggling in the hands of a Kingsguard after Joffrey sentenced Ned to death.  Sansa had to watch Ned's head lopped off; while Yoren shielded Arya from that final horror.  

The problem is that Arya is treating Sansa like an enemy, not a sister.

The question is, where will this go? I don't think very many people think Littlefinger will be there at the end next year. Long story short, Sansa and Arya should be getting pulled apart in order to come back together even stronger. With Brienne gone (if Brienne is really gone, because there are folks as close as Castle Black that could tell her to wait, of course Sansa doesn't know that) the real natural situation would be for Arya to prove herself to Sansa and get over the rivalry by saving Sansa's life. Sansa has said about four times "I'm safe here I have hundreds of men" and it's just the kind of thing that calls for a reversal, if you see what I mean. Sansa has already shown she knows that Cersei intends to kill her. Maybe I just want them to love each other and be invincible...
However - I don't think that we will have to wait until 2018 for Jon to stop off at Winterfell. Maybe after certain other matters are cleared up.
Regarding the trouble everybody is taking to make Cersei part of the resistance - you could take the position that Cersei can raise another army by calling on her bannermen (again).

1 hour ago, Pandean said:

So Jon being a Targ is why he didn't get hypothermia and die

right

...right

Don't know if this appeals, but in the Arthurian mythology, Sir Kay, Arthur's stepbrother, is said to have such a blazing body heat that when it rains he walks around in a cloud of steam