[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

Welcome to the Whining and Whinging Edition of the Rant And Rave Thread. 

~Note on thread rules from Ran~

The topic of the thread is discussing things you dislike about the show. It is not a place to throw insults at one another or to act as if the normal rules of the forum do not apply.

Discussion of why people disliked something is permitted, but remember the topic at hand: this is not a debate thread, it's a discussion thread specifically about episode details or events that posters disliked. Posts that ignore this will be considered off-topic.

3 hours ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Thanks for starting this thread! Really need it. 

Where do I begin. This show has literally gone to the dogs. Every time you think it can’t get any worse, they prove you wrong. This is going to be a long rant: 

So the merry band of seven go to the North without any dragonglass weapons? Wasn’t that the whole point of Jon going to Dragonstone? They even show them mining the stuff in the last episode but Jon decides to go North to catch a wight (ugh) with no dragonglass. Brilliant!

Then we have them merrily chatting and catching up (Gendry and the Hound still don’t mention Arya to Jon) and bonding, although I must say I really liked Tormund, especially his banter with the Hound. All is well till the wights appear and then Gendry, the Olympian distance runner, who’s never seen snow runs in freezing temperature back to Eastwatch in record time. All that rowing must have prepared him for this dash. Magic seems to have not just created WWs and dragons but it also seems to distorted time and distance in Westeros. While Gendry is making his sprint in record time, the other six having a staring competition with the WWs and their undead army. I wonder why the wights didn’t cross the frozen lake cause in Hardome they didn’t have a problem making a suicidal jump from a cliff.

Then the light speed raven reaches Dany at Dragonstone and she’s rushing to save her new found love against the better judgment of her Hand (IIRC correctly wasn’t this stupid wight hunt Tyrion’s grand idea in the first place). So Dany swoops down with her three dragons to save the day and instead of having her dragons burn the NK and the other WWs who are on a hilltop and easy target the dragons burn a few mindless wights. And then we have brave Jon continue to go on killing the wights instead of hopping onto Drogon giving the NK (another Olympian) ample time to aim and fire his spear at Viserion. So so some reason the NK didn't aim at Drogon who is on the ground and closer. Nor does he try and kill Jon and Co with his javelin throwing ability instead just stares at them.

When Jon is overpowered by wights, lo and behold deus ex machina uncle Benjen with his fireball shows up. Benjen seems to have a sixth sense when one of his nephews are getting attacked by the wights. Well if the showrunners had some sense they’d have shown that Bran sent Benjen. But of course they didn't. They’ll expect the mindless herd that watches this show and thinks its high art to make their own apologetic excuses for this abomination.

I don’t even want to talk about the Winterfell plot. Arya is gone fully blown cray cray and nearly frightens poor Sansa to death. And Sansa is like everyone should kneel and thank me for saving the North. Ugh, can it get any worse than this.  

Then of course we have the onset of romantic feelings between Jon and Dany and Jon says you are my queen now and always and I will bend the knee. Aww isn’t that sweet. All it took is the death of one of Dany’s dragons.

All the NK had to do to resurrect Viserion was to gently stroke the dead dragon’s head and presto! a wighted dragon. And his undead army pulling Viserion out of the frozen lake with some really massive chains. Do the undead know how to work iron? It almost seems like the NK was marching his zombie army at snail pace so he could be at the right place at the right time to get his zombie mount. Oh yes I forgot, he was having his minions make those massive chains, that’s what slowed them down.

The only thing I liked about this episode was Tormund and the Hound, and also Arya’s story about Ned.

I wonder what horror they’ve written up for the final season. I’m also concerned that some of this rubbish (not the wight hunt of course), such as, a wighted dragon might end up in the books.  Let’s just hope that GRRM just told them who sits the IT in the end and who survives and nothing else.  There was a leaked email making the rounds that GRRM put his foot down on something related to S8. Well, maybe there’s still some hope and the end of this shitfest will still be how things end in the books. But then again, when S7 was leaked, I thought to myself not even D&D can write something so stupid and awful. But I was so wrong.

The entire episode underlies the monumental fuckwittery of the "plan" to go north of the Wall to capture a wight.

Upshot is that Dany is minus one drake, and the Night King is plus one.

I hated the superhuman/superundead strength and speed at which the Night King threw that ice spear.  Look at it again.  Do these undead have that kind of ability?  he barely raised his arm and the spear flew up like 300ft enough to kill

Spoiler

Viseryon

with great strength.  It didn't even look "real" and I'm not talking about CGI.  Looked so unrealistic.

I also hated that all these people survive the incident with barely a scratch.  They didn't all survive but many more of them would have died.  Recall Hardholme?

The "time warps" in this show are also ridiculous.  gendry back to Eastwatch, the raven flying to dragonstone and Daenerys gets there in what seems like 1/2 an hour (and that's generous).  They need to just finally expose that Westeros now has Stargates at every 1 mile interval on the King's Road and at every castle and pillowhouse.

The writing was bad.  Really bad.  One of the worst episodes.  The only good part being Jon bending his crickety knees. 

There is no logic at all in the show.  I know this is fantasy, but guys, this is too much.  How fast does a raven fly?  How fast can Gendry run? 

I can't stand Arya at all now.  She's such a psychopath and then they play it off like 'no she's just badass'.  She's straight up fucking psycho trying to show off or intimidate everyone now.  But of course she's not smart enough (yet) to face-change to get dirt on Littlefinger.

Oh, and Littlefinger tries to get Sandra to use Brianne to defend her from Arya?  Who he saw get her ass handed to her in front of everyone by Arya.  Now this might make sense if he's trying to sow chaos, but isn't he trying to win Sandra's hand?  So his plan revolves around getting the one person he knows Arya can beat to fend her off.

And then 5 mins later Sandra's trying to send Brianne as an emissary to King's Landing and neither of them trust LF.

LF just needs to go to Sandra and play on the 'YOUR SISTER IS A PSYCHO WITH FACES IN A BAG" legitimate concern.

Peter Dinklage must have pissed off D&D somehow, Tyrion is just a shell now.

Faces in a bag is pretty god damned stupid.  

Having Gendry be the one to run however many miles to Eastwatch... good thing he remembered the way.  

Two deus ex machinas in the same scene?  Come on.  

If they don't find Drogon and Rhaegal some valyrian armor I'm going to be annoyed.  Melt down every valyrian steel sword if you have to.  Dragons > swords.

Gendry says "Do bears have blue eyes?".  I don't know why he says this because the bear shown clearly does not.  Did they forget to put that in?

Arya missed the part in her Faceless man training where they would have told her that a bag under a bed is not a good hiding place.

Worst episode of the entire series.

• The story line to travel north of the wall has to be even more stupid than Jaime and Bronn traveling to Dorne. 
  • Traveling in the freezing cold and none of the travelers wore anything to protect their faces. Why? Because we need to have childish, fan service conversation that sounds like fan fiction written by a 13 year old.
  • The fellowship runs onto this conveniently placed rock and the White Walkers can't instantly freeze the water...
  • Gendry runs almost instantly to the Wall and then the Dragons arrive almost instantaneously.
  • Jon falls into FREEZING COLD WATER and doesn't basically instantly die. Jesus Christ.
  • Benjen happens to get there just in time to save Jon's stupid ass.

Even non book fans think this episode was bad.

This is really the first time this season that the teleportation has bothered me. I don't mind them skipping the travel montages; what I do mind is Gendry being able to run back to Eastwatch, send a raven all the way to Dragonstone, and have Dany fly up to beyond the Wall in a matter of a few hours. Why not just have Dany leave on her own shortly after the men do? It doesn't take much thought to realize that having three fire-breathing dragons around would be a great asset beyond the Wall.

And of course, there's the Winterfell plot. Ugh.

Archived