[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

3 hours ago, I Am TheSongOf IceAndFire said:

fast forward to when bran is about to enter the cave. the wights are now magical skeletons from pirates of the carribean that pop out of the ground and move like really poorly created enemies in a Doom game. these rotted corpses are buried with boots, retro german soldier helmets and longswords, making them look more cartoonish than their movements. and now we've reached a new low, where they simply cut scenes from the walking dead with hordes of zombies groaning, salivating, making common 'hey I'm a zombie' noises. There is no one in these hordes that looks like theyve died in the past 10 years, however once they turn they stop rotting (as sam points out), so shouldnt a good chunk appear to be fresh wildlings or rangers? . 

This right here is my biggest disappointment with the show. White Walker scenes gave me goosebumps when I first saw them. Now, it's so cheesy and lame. Compare the effort Jon has with 1 wight in season 1 and then contrast with smashing through them with a swing of the wrist. All suspense, creepiness, etc is gone.

The WW and army of the dead should have pretty much remained elusive and shadowy through the end. They should roll in at night, with heavy cloud cover and blizzardly cold. There should be a very fine, fuzzy line between where the fear of a simple dark, cold, winter ends and the horror of the supernatural begins.

Instead we get a video game

2 hours ago, Illiterati said:

I'm not a bookreader, but the writing in the first 4 seasons was brilliant.  There has been a discrete change in writing once they ran out of book.  It was the great writing alongside boobs that got me hooked to the show.

I agree. I was talking in regards to the current season. The decline in quality is so frustrating especially because of the pretty great earlier seasons. Us geeks would not have told all our friends about it if had not been a great show back then :)pp

5 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It's obviously just him being diplomatic, he watches NFL games every Sunday during the football season and he watches other TV shows like Outlander, there is no way time is the reason he doesn't watch.

For sure it's him being diplomatic. For some reason the forum ate up part of my post. I wrote that he's probably tired of seeing his story and characters being slaughtered.

This episode was full of disappointments. I get that this is a dark story with little joy. But there is only so much destruction of the house of Stark I can take. I love Arya, but it utterly defeats the purpose of having her survive all that she has, only to come back home and destroy the resurrected house Stark by killing Sansa in a fit of vengeful, psychotic paranoia. Arya learned to survive but now she's totally damaged? She can't smile at Hot Pie or be glad he's alive? She only cares about Jon? She brings up petty crap that she dislikes about her older sister who she condemns for being good at what she was raised to be good at? Arya still seems pissed that Sansa was a better lady than she was and I thought Arya gave that up when she found a place for herself as a skilled killer. I thought Arya accepted that she was different and it was good a long time ago. So why do we have to revisit this and why does it have to be an Achilles heel now? Why does Arya now have to take out her childish resentments on her older sister when that is all they ever were in light of the fact that this family still exists when Arya believed it extinct? This sounds to me like 21st century motivation, hey what about my feelings, first world problems not 14th centuryesque Game of Thrones, grow up or die, bury your feelings in the dirt type of world. Like all lords and ladies, Arya learned her feelings weren't important, only her house. So this 'I need therapy for my anger' crap just doesn't do it for me

7 hours ago, Nowy Tends said:

:wacko: Are you serious? The NK , a "man of the people" :D, realizes in the middle of a fight that he can't speak the common tongue, and has forgotten to take a white flag?

In all fairness, the Night's King is probably really, really old.  He tried to remember to words, but they wouldn't come back to him.

As for the white flag, they had to leave that behind in order to haul the massive chains this far.  They had to do whatever it took to drop some weight.

Allow me to whinge just a little more here. I really did not like seeing Arya threaten to kill Sansa. That sort of nutso stuff may fly in the real world but in GOT world, the Stark family has been struggling to survive and get back home for 7 seasons.. Arya has been ruthless, but not unstable. The reasons why she could not continue to be a faceless man is because she could not let go of her identity, Arya Stark of Winterfell. Now she goes home and threatens to start killing off what little is left of the Starks of Winterfell because she is pissed about Sansa being a snooty, well brought up lady? The other reason Arya couldn't be a faceless man is because she has a strong sense of justice, not just the killing kind. She refused to kill someone because the person who paid the fee was jealous and the person to be killed was a good person.This is not the kind of person who goes home to a long awaited home coming only to kill off the head of her household, sister and protector. Arya has or had a better purpose than this.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Good grief this ep was such a stupid that the brilliant black nerd recapper couldn't even make it funny.  He could only, basically, weep.

http://blacknerdproblems.com/game-of-thrones-recap-beyond-the-wall/

Try this one: "Ghosts of Thrones"- I just found it and absolutely LOVE IT:

Last weeks epsiode is brilliant: http://www.pajiba.com/game_of_thrones/the-ghosts-of-thrones-recap-the-queens-justice-the-spoils-of-war-and-eastwatch.php

This weeks episode: http://www.pajiba.com/game_of_thrones/the-ghosts-of-thrones-recap-beyond-the-wall.php

1 hour ago, Maester Murks said:

Wow! He says it's because he does not have the time, but come on, its 10 hours per year. He is sick and tired of this abomination. 

59 minutes ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

It's obviously just him being diplomatic, he watches NFL games every Sunday during the football season and he watches other TV shows like Outlander, there is no way time is the reason he doesn't watch.

I think this is a good idea.  I'm not sure on how long it's been that he's not watching the show (we know he hosts viewings of premieres and such at his theater, but he could be busy socializing through that, LOL), but I think a good disconnect from the show on his part will be helpful for getting something done with the books.  At least TWOW, I'll work on worry about more after that.  ;)

51 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Good grief this ep was such a stupid that the brilliant black nerd recapper couldn't even make it funny.  He could only, basically, weep.

http://blacknerdproblems.com/game-of-thrones-recap-beyond-the-wall/

I like the Scottie Pipen analogy, though.  :lmao:

6 hours ago, Maester Murks said:

This enrages me way more than the stupid plotholes and all: The people involved in making this show take a huge dump on the exact people, who even made this show the big success it is: geeks and hardcore fans.

Of course the show is a success now, and of course people watch that crap. I heard people say, they like this season best so far because earlier there was too much boring, talkative scenes that they could not follow.

It's okay to make pulp. But just don't flatter yourself by believing the success is because of the high quality of the writing or anything.

Taylor actually said this : “It’s funny...I did see one review where he just could not get past the airspeed velocity of a raven. If the show was struggling, if it wasn’t finding an audience, I would be up in arms about that and trying to press back, but it actually just made me laugh,” says Taylor."

I say this is ignorance at its most arrogant. The show will be losing its audience if it doesn't remember who made it de rigueur and that those same viewers can walk away if they get too pissed. 

the more I think about it, I wish Arya had still been in Braavos for most of this season and was only just murdering Freys this past episode or two.  The extra training and time with theater troupe etc may have been redundant but I am still having a hard time believing she can change faces after what was essentially a botched training period wrought with failures and internal conflict.  I'd believe her character more if her Braavos story line was more developed and lasted longer, and we wouldn't have this winterfell faux drama this season which is awful.  I also would have much preferred her to be in transit longer, and have a few more scenes like the one with Hot Pie and the Lannister soldiers (only better done obviously) during her travels rather than the mess we have at winterfell.

I also think Bran should have remained north of the wall for a few more episodes, and maybe had a scene or two  with him and meera at castle black and traveling to winterfell, along with an interesting but not game-breaking vision to make those scenes more satisfying.  I think he and meera should just be reaching winterfell about now.  

The Sansa storyline this season should have focused entirely on her being a good leader and effective lady of winterfell.  drop the contrived plotting of winterfell and make his story more about littlefinger advising her, with the intention of trying to convince her to marry him.  Her story line should have just been scenes of counseling with the lords, ordering repairs to winterfell, sending ravens to outlying northern houses about their armories and grain stores, and general overseeing of things.  through her we should have learned the status of the rest of the realm, i.e. who controls what castles, what houses are still in play and what houses are gone, where armys are reported to be headed, etc.  This would have been a nice source of info and given to the audience in a more believable manner through council meeting dicussions, raven scrolls, and private talks with littlefiinger.   I also think it would have been a nice touch if she was the one who had Neds statue in the crypt commissioned in the first episode, so it was finished by the time Arya arrived.  Then once Bran and Arya arrive, the three begin plotting to take down Littlefinger together after they learn through Bran or other means that he has a deal in place with Cersei to be warden of the north if he delivers Winterfell, and after Sansa spills the beans that he sold her to the Boltons for his own political gain and killed their aunt.

On 8/21/2017 at 9:02 AM, Cas Stark said:

She has just lost 33% of her military advantage on top of already losing her navy and her Westeros allies.   She should be breaking things, crying, tearing at her awful wig and telling Jon that he knows nothing.  She should be in full freak out rage/hysteria/grief mode.  Forget the masive hit to her tactical advantage, one of her fucking dragons is DEAD.

But, nope.  Just more deadpaning around.

From a military standpoint Dany's already so OP with two dragons, even one, that losing one isn't that big of deal. But she's established time and time again that it is her CHILD.

She should be feeling grief like Catelyn felt- remember her one month vigil over Bran's bed when was likely to die? When she saw Robb die?  It makes it look like she really does view them as useful pets. 

Also didn't she have other 'children?' AKA the freed slaves. Fuck all those people who called her "Mhysa." She's not their mother anymore. She had her savior moment, now she's abandoned them, and they don't get a mention. 

On 8/21/2017 at 10:05 AM, Snormund said:

Good point about the showrunners being aware of his pace. IIRC he published AFFC in 2005. The show and ADWD both came out in 2011. So, given that pace they might have considered that it would be quite some time before TWOW came out....

Besides they started changing the plot in season 5 and that was off of material GRRM HAD given them in book form. No excuse for that. 

To be fair ADWD has so much internal monologuing I can't imagine a satisfactory adaptation. I feel like I'm one the few people who prefers AFFC, because Dany's problems are boring and Tyrion is so self-pitying. 

Archived