[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

I've been saying for a while that season 5 on of the show is pure prequel trash and will be recognized as such a few years after the show ends and hype dies.

And completely agree with you after the bad script causing bad acting performances, if I had never seen Indira Varma in anything before this show I'd think she's an awful actress.

Face value for me at the very moment I watched: "Ah..; of course the Night King know the dragons are coming soon. That is why he is waiting. He wants to kill a dragon." Then he caught one instead, and his plan made even more sense to me. The whole fight therefore made perfect sense to me: why the wights waited, why they did not quickly overwhelm the adventuring party, why the Night King had chains and magical javelins ready, et cetera. Nit pickers just pick at tasty nits instead of stopping to think why.

5 hours ago, SweetPea said:

http://ew.com/tv/2017/08/21/game-of-thrones-stars-arya-tension/

Interview with Weiss, Cogman and Turner about the tensions between Sansa and Arya:

Weiss: “They’ve all become very different people.

Cogman: “Sansa and Arya are characters who were never close and never particularly liked each other and have been through so much. Now they have more in common than either are probably willing to recognize.

Turner: “In the books, it says something about how Arya and Sansa are different sides of the same coin. They love each other but they’re so different.

Hahahaha, so many contradictions in a single interview. Are these people really working together?

At least Turner gets parts of it. It is telling of the other two, when the actress on her teens is the only one that does. Perhaps she is the only one that read the books..

11 hours ago, fairwarging said:

I hate that Dany and Jon's relationship is formed by other characters telling them it's forming. "I saw you staring at her." "Jon loves you!" Dany's "pining" look makes her look like a girl watching a romantic scene in a movie, not an experienced ruler falling in love in the midst of war.  Ygritte challenged Jon's stern and stuffy nature through her sexuality and wit, Dany in challenging him is even MORE stuffy.

Kit doesn't seem to have range but he has always being pretty good at portraying Jon (the looking sad even when he smiles actually suits his character), but Emilia needs a much larger range and she just doesn't have it. This couple is awful. 

I say, Kit and Emilia's chemistry is so lacking, the writers added it in to let the audience know. 

14 hours ago, charleois said:

Face value for me at the very moment I watched: "Ah..; of course the Night King know the dragons are coming soon. That is why he is waiting. He wants to kill a dragon." Then he caught one instead, and his plan made even more sense to me. The whole fight therefore made perfect sense to me: why the wights waited, why they did not quickly overwhelm the adventuring party, why the Night King had chains and magical javelins ready, et cetera. Nit pickers just pick at tasty nits instead of stopping to think why.

Doesn't it bother you that the dragon resurrection wasn't a surprise at all? It seems like something that should be a shocker but way too obvious. This forum is FOR complaining, to our heart's content, but there, I just gave you something to complain about. 

12 hours ago, fairwarging said:

I hate that Dany and Jon's relationship is formed by other characters telling them it's forming. "I saw you staring at her." "Jon loves you!" Dany's "pining" look makes her look like a girl watching a romantic scene in a movie, not an experienced ruler falling in love in the midst of war.  Ygritte challenged Jon's stern and stuffy nature through her sexuality and wit, Dany in challenging him is even MORE stuffy.

Kit doesn't seem to have range but he has always being pretty good at portraying Jon (the looking sad even when he smiles actually suits his character), but Emilia needs a much larger range and she just doesn't have it. This couple is awful. 

I agree. Dany and Jon have only had 3 scenes alone together prior to Episode 6. None of those scenes established any sort of personal or emotional bond. Their scene in Episode 3 was all about business, so to speak. Mining the glass, bending the knee, etc... No personal connection at all.

Their scene in Episode 4 showed that they were sexually attracted to each other, but that's it. The conversation was strictly about the war. Their scene in Episode 5 was also all about the war. Yes, Dany saw him pet Drogon, but once again, no bond between her and Jon was directly established.

The writers didn't even make any effort to give them a scene where they could discuss what they have in common, going from nothing to being monarchs, being outcasts, struggling to find their place in the world, Jon not knowing his mother VS Dany not knowing anyone in her family beyond Viserys, etc... We didn't see them really get to know each other. There's nothing for them to "love" about the other.

All they know about each other is what the other looks like and certain aspects of what sort of ruler they are. That's nothing.

Beyond that, if you think about things logically, they can't have known each other for more than a week or so. Jon receives permission to mine the glass in Episode 3, yet in Episode 4, he specifically says he hasn't begun yet. This tells us very little time has passed. Dany then leaves to ambush Jaime immediately after they exit the cave.

She returns in Episode 5, right before Jon receives word from Winterfell and decides to leave for Eastwatch. He presumably leaves a couple days later, once Tyrion and Davos return from KL.

Basically they barely know each other.

The proof of how forced it is, is that as you say, they have to have Davos and tyrion telling us that they have feelings for each other, as opposed to actually building that relationship.

It's so bad, it's unbelievable how the masses eat it up like it's the best thing they've ever seen.

14 hours ago, Le Cygne said:

GRRM said he doesn't endorse incest, but the show sure seems to:

George RR Martin is the cutest nerd ever. 

And because this is a rant page: Arya hasn't earned the right to be a facechanger but she sure has earned a spot in a Silence of the Lambs sequel. Holding that knife and talking about stealing faces, she reminded me of Ramsay. Maybe they would have been a cute couple. 

15 hours ago, The Scabbard Of the Morning said:

I've been saying for a while that season 5 on of the show is pure prequel trash and will be recognized as such a few years after the show ends and hype dies.

And completely agree with you after the bad script causing bad acting performances, if I had never seen Indira Varma in anything before this show I'd think she's an awful actress.

Yes, Varma is a good actress for sure, and she could have been a great Ellaria. What a butchered character! I think she is the most detestable character who is sold to us as 'badass.' I'm sure this has been discussed to death but-her lover said 'we don't hurt little girls in dorne' and fought to the death to avenge the death of his young sister whose only fault was the family she had joined. How does she avenge him? Kills a young girl whose only fault is her family. She wipes out Oberyns family line because they're weak- when has Trystane had a chance to prove his strength? And then against all sense, becomes the ruler through her claim as the last ruler's brother's girlfriend. 

Liam Cunningham is a particularly impressive actor who did a wonderful, heartfelt job as Davos. Now he looks goofy as Jon's chipper cheerleader, who seems to have no family or backstory (who is Stannis? Did I have kids ever?), and who flirts with Missendei and ribs Jon about staring at Dany's boobs. 

1 hour ago, charleois said:

Agreed, but there's plenty of huge plot holes and nonsensical things to pick at otherwise.

I hate that the showrunners expect the audience to be so stupid and "forgiving because it's a tv show". 

Arya and Sansa - the whole thing doesn't make sense at all when they have Bran there - just go and ask him!

The whole thing about getting one walking dead from beyond the wall to have some proof for Cersey is just the stupidest f#### thing! Just to convince one mad queen??? Realllyy???

Dragons should have some kind of ARMOR DAMMIT!!!

1 hour ago, charleois said:

No it still doesn't make sense. Dany doesn't have binoculars. For her to get close enough to see whether the boys are dead or alive would have been close enough to be shot down by an unexpected spear.

Dany could not have been capable of distinguishing facial features in a cluster fuck fight in the snow from a safe distance. Her dragons had to have come in burning basically blind.

The commotion alone was enough of a trap. There's no defense, it doesn't make any sense.

So I really need to rant about that thing called Jonerys that I’ve been hating so much

First of all English is not my native language so I’m so sorry for any mistakes and I want to say that I am a Jon/Sansa shipper but

A.    I really wasn’t until season six came out and I totally know that it won’t ever happen and I’m cool with it.

B.      I blame this entirely on Kit and Sophie because they have spectacular chemistry.

C.    This doesn’t affect at all my take on Jon/Dany

Now, I’m really pissed with the way the show has been handling Jonerys this season, I feel like everything they’ve done so far regarding them has been purely fan service and this angers me because Game of thrones was so much more than that.

I’m really resentful to Jon for bending the knee because he didn’t win back Winterfell alone and he’s not in there alone; Sansa, Arya and Bran are all in there and he isn’t thinking of them or Lyanna Mormont who supported him without reservations. Wouldn’t it have been wiser to offer a marriage proposal and that way keep his independence and offer Dany the security that he would work in order of her best interest and that at the same time she would keep hold of the north somehow?

I really resent this because I thought we had moved forward on Jon as a character but this season he seems to be going backwards in his development, he Is by far my favorite character on the show and the one I’ve been rooting for specially since Dany became very unlikable to me in season five so I was expecting so much more from Jon. I am a firm believer that the song of ice and fire is about Jon and not Jon/Dany. And I would hate for him to be another king who lost the north.

I also find completely annoying the fact they want to create a love story in four bloody episodes. Again, I would have been fine if they sold the whole thing as a political marriage but to do it as love doesn’t seem very believable to me. They just met and Tyrion is already saying he loves her, why? Because she’s beautiful? I found completely unreal that he could fall in love so soon special when he already experienced a love so deep as the one with Ygritte.

To be honest I’ve found this one to be the weakest season, I’m not even hyped like everyone else (which makes me wonder if maybe the one who’s getting it wrong it’s me) but the thing is I’ve been finding it to be very poor plot wise and half the characters are acting very ooc, besides some magnificent exceptions like Olena Tyrell even Cersei has been written very poorly this season.

And I think that instead of investing on some interesting plots they’ve focused on building up Jon and Dany and it stills doesn’t work out completely, Kit and Emilia are both wonderful actors but I honestly can’t find any chemistry between them romantically so to me their interactions come out as forced, as if they trying too hard to make it look romantic instead of being subtle and making it more believable.

I know my rant has been very long but I’m just so pissed because I think Jonerys is unnecessary romance, Game of thrones is not about a romance and now it seems the entire story is centered about Dany and Jon finding love with each other. That’s cool in shows like Outlander and Downtown Abbey where besides politics the story is built around a love story but Game of thrones wasn’t ever like that and I just don’t see the point especially with so little episodes to go and with so many things that could be using the screen time they’re gifting Jonerys with.

So yeah, I think that D&D fell under that awful thing called fan service and I hate them for it.

2 hours ago, JonSansaBranArya said:

I say, Kit and Emilia's chemistry is so lacking, the writers added it in to let the audience know. 

Amen. Especially when you compare it to what Jon and Ygritte had. I mean, the script was cringeworthy, but it was still really fun to watch her tease him and him being uncomfortable but clearly turned on.

This episode really highlights Emilia Clark's terrible acting. I mean, the dragons are her children, and when Viserion was struck from the sky was really the opportunity to give it all she's got (think Michelle Fairley at the Red Wedding). Instead, all we got was the same dumb blank look. Every other person, even Tormund, looked more pained than she did.

21 minutes ago, LadySalvatore said:

I’m really resentful to Jon for bending the knee because he didn’t win back Winterfell alone and he’s not in there alone; Sansa, Arya and Bran are all in there and he isn’t thinking of them or Lyanna Mormont who supported him without reservations. Wouldn’t it have been wiser to offer a marriage proposal and that way keep his independence and offer Dany the security that he would work in order of her best interest and that at the same time she would keep hold of the north somehow?

I really resent this because I thought we had moved forward on Jon as a character but this season he seems to be going backwards in his development, he Is by far my favorite character on the show and the one I’ve been rooting for specially since Dany became very unlikable to me in season five so I was expecting so much more from Jon. I am a firm believer that the song of ice and fire is about Jon and not Jon/Dany. And I would hate for him to be another king who lost the north.

Don´t be annoyed at Jon, he died of his stab wounds at Castle Black. Since then, he has been a lackey of the Night King, and plotted to bring his master a dragon.

1 hour ago, fairwarging said:

Yes, Varma is a good actress for sure, and she could have been a great Ellaria. What a butchered character!

It's not a coincidence if her best scene (IMHO) is when she's chained and gagged in a black cell, listening to Cersei's horrific threatens… No text, no moves, all in facial expressions. Solid performance.

I don't know about anyone else but the response to this season and especially "Beyond the Wall" has me feeling somewhat vindicated. Of my group of show watchers only myself and one other have read the books. Since Season 5 (really since Tyrion and Jaime's botched farewell at the end of season 4, the moment I am still convinced destroyed both of their character arcs) I have been crusading against ther show. For years I have been attacked for just being a whiny book fan and my opinion on the show has been treated as angry nonsense. At last this season seems to have been too much for general audiences. While they are still many who praise the show, you do not see the same universal love and respect that it used to get almost every episode. There are TONS of thinkpieces online about how the show is falling apart. 

Maybe it is selfish to feel a little bit good about this but I am sick and tired of people thinking the show is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Martin's novels are the greatest thing since sliced bread. As soon as they stopped following them they lost everything. These problems are years in the making. Go back to the end of season 4, have Jaime and Tyrion end on the bad note they are supposed to (setting up their characters correctly) have Lady Stoneheart show up, and start from there. Give me proper Dorne, Iron Islands, and Young Griff. People were so sure that cutting all of that was the right move. History has proven those people wrong. Go back and follow the books. This fanfiction we have been fed the past half decade is utter trash. 

2 hours ago, fairwarging said:

George RR Martin is the cutest nerd ever. 

And because this is a rant page: Arya hasn't earned the right to be a facechanger but she sure has earned a spot in a Silence of the Lambs sequel. Holding that knife and talking about stealing faces, she reminded me of Ramsay. Maybe they would have been a cute couple. 

Lol.  In the books he marries fake Arya.  Poor Jeyne

Archived