[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

22 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

Granted, that might deprive Gendry of the shot at Gold in track, but hey.....we're talking about the fate of the world, right?

Well Gendry's race to Eastwatch was as improbable as Arya's parcour race in Braavos. And they both winged about the mistakes of allies in the past ;)

3 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

This I see as the climax of the season.  Eastwatch was a (silly) means to that end.

I predict it will be not so much a climax as a cliffhanger. The dragon will loom over Castle Black, or something, and Edd will be all, "Oh noez!" Or possibly dead. 

On 8/23/2017 at 4:55 PM, darmody said:

I would like to see Zombie Mountain unleashed, because the Hound will be there. (He's the wight wrangler.) But something tells me despite all the fanservice lately they'll hold off on one of the fanserviest things ever and not show the Cleganebowl until later. There's simply too much to do next episode. 

How perfect would it be on Sunday, though? They're holding the meeting in an actual stadium! 

I see things in the fire. Cleganebowl is a red herring.

On Sunday we'll see Lyanna Mormont defeat UnMountain in single combat because why the hell not at this point.

I think Cleganebowl is completely a fan construct and will never happen.

Sandor isn't the Sandor he used to be, and Gregor SURE ain't Gregor.

The only way they could make a Cleganebowl reconcile with the changes the Hound went through is to have the Mountain go after someone and the hound jump to their defense.  "I don't think, 'you burned my face, prepare to die!" is in order.

5 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

I think Cleganebowl is completely a fan construct and will never happen.

Sandor isn't the Sandor he used to be, and Gregor SURE ain't Gregor.

The only way they could make a Cleganebowl reconcile with the changes the Hound went through is to have the Mountain go after someone and the hound jump to their defense.  "I don't think, 'you burned my face, prepare to die!" is in order.

We already saw the exact situation you describe, when the Mountain got pissed at Loras Tyrell and the Hound intervened. King Robert stopped the fight, giving the audience coitus interruptus.  That's the main reason fans clamor for Cleganebowl, in my opinion. That, and they saw how awesome the Mountain/Viper duel was. 

I don't really understand your point, anyway. The Hound has been developed, but they keep reminding us of his fear of fire every chance they get. Anyway, his being gentler, calmer, more introspective and righteous only means there's that much more of a contrast with his brother, who's not even human anymore and the instrument of the most evil character on the show this side of the Wall. 

In that sense, they're that much more Gregor--bully--and Sandor--protector of the weak--than when the show first put the idea of them fighting in the audience's head. 

4 minutes ago, darmody said:

We already saw the exact situation you describe, when the Mountain got pissed at Loras Tyrell and the Hound intervened. King Robert stopped the fight, giving the audience coitus interruptus.  That's the main reason fans clamor for Cleganebowl, in my opinion. That, and they saw how awesome the Mountain/Viper duel was. 

I don't really understand your point, anyway. The Hound has been developed, but they keep reminding us of his fear of fire every chance they get. Anyway, his being gentler, calmer, more introspective and righteous only means there's that much more of a contrast with his brother, who's not even human anymore and the instrument of the most evil character on the show this side of the Wall. 

In that sense, they're that much more Gregor--bully--and Sandor--protector of the weak--than when the show first put the idea of them fighting in the audience's head. 

His fear of fire, while still there, seems to have been exerting less control lately, I'd say once he forced himself to read the fire.  He didn't appear to be going spastic over the polar bear inferno or the flaming swords.  He was comfortable around fire in such a pronounced way during Eastwatch that I took note of it while watching.  It would be cool if Ser Robert Strong tried to wield fire against him to intimidate him and it backfired, scuse the pun, with Strong getting set ablaze with a torch he threw at the Hound.  If Cleganebowl every happens, which I don't believe is the case.

1 minute ago, Illiterati said:

His fear of fire, while still there, seems to have been exerting less control lately, I'd say once he forced himself to read the fire.  He didn't appear to be going spastic over the polar bear inferno or the flaming swords.  

He didn't go spastic, but he hesitated. That's when Topknot jumped in and got mauled. The episode didn't do a very good job of showing it, but I think we were supposed to believe Thoros being injured was the Hound's fault. 

He's better than he was at Blackwater,where he basically had a panic attack and ran away. Now, he just freezes for a moment and backs off a little. 

I don't remember if he was less afraid later in the episode. There wasn't much time for reaction shots after the dragon showed up. 

6 minutes ago, darmody said:

He didn't go spastic, but he hesitated. That's when Topknot jumped in and got mauled. The episode didn't do a very good job of showing it, but I think we were supposed to believe Thoros being injured was the Hound's fault. 

He's better than he was at Blackwater,where he basically had a panic attack and ran away. Now, he just freezes for a moment and backs off a little. 

I don't remember if he was less afraid later in the episode. There wasn't much time for reaction shots after the dragon showed up. 

If he had 10% of the pyrophobia he originally had, he might have just dropped of heart failure right then and there when dracarys......I don't know if the show-writers intended it, but it does seem to me like he is getting more comfortable (not comfortable, but more comfortable), around fire.

1 hour ago, darmody said:

That comparison doesn't really work, because as you say the Craster's Keep plot was filler for the middle of the season. They were building up to something else. The Wight Hunt is the big plot point of the entire season. Nothing else is being built up to, aside from Dany and Jon sex and whatever it is the Night King plans to do with that dragon. 

The Craster's Keep assault in Season Four was kinda boring and ultimately pointless. The Big Things that season, the Mountain vs. Viper duel and the Battle of the Wall, would be fine without it. The Wight Hunt, on the other hand, is a point unto itself. It was supposed to be the Big Thing this season.* That's a whole different kind of problem. 

*Aside from what they tack onto the finale. Which, again, will be Dany/Jon sex and something to do with a zombie dragon. Maybe we'll see some drama with Cersei and Jaime. But that will mostly be "wait til next year" stuff. They already shot their wad with the Big Things in Beyond the Wall. 

But that's why it was such a downer of a episode, that even normal show fans who used to defend the show have started to question the writers, that their "big event" was all flash and no substance and ultimately no better than the filler material from a few seasons ago.  Because filler is all this show has now, when they aren't checklisting some plot points that GRRM told them about,

LOL  Reading some of the recent posts, I realize it is pretty amazing that Sandor hopped onto a fire breathing dragon.  Granted, it was that or go full on anti fire and join the wight squad.  Perhaps the irony of his situation explains his terrific idea of holding tight to the somewhat chilly wight, even if he had to use one of Drogon's spikes to help him hold it still.  Now, if the show really was worth anything, they'd find a second or two to address how the Hound actually feels about a ride on a giant fire breathing lizard.  Ya'd think.  If they don't by next episode, it's a missed opportunity. 

7 hours ago, storm.131 said:

Especially when she said to him that he should get some rest and he immediately closed his eyes like a good little obedient boy.  It was so cringeworthy.

I just watched the episode again and noticed that while trekking, Tormund carried an axe with a metal blade, but during the fighting scenes, he had an axe with dragonglass blades.

Yeah this felt odd to me too, like she had just cast a spell on him or something haha.

7 hours ago, Ashes Of Westeros said:

To send a raven they need somebody who handles raven like a maester or a maester's assistant like Sam. 

As afr as I'm concerned, the NW doesn't have a maester  at the moment. Probably just an assistant who provides the communication with the rest of the world.

Funny then how Davos' first words after Gendry reaches that wall are "Get the Maester".  Not that it matters, I just assumed Eastwatch has someone there who can manage the ravens and Davos just used the word Maester because it is easier in-story to say that than a more lengthy explanation.  But it is still a relevant point - did Eastwatch have any ravens. If so, why didn't they bring their raven keeper person along on the journey.  That is after all how Samwell found himself north of the wall for the Fist of the First Men.  He was no maester, just working as an assistant to kept the birds

40 minutes ago, Lady Fevre Dream said:

LOL  Reading some of the recent posts, I realize it is pretty amazing that Sandor hopped onto a fire breathing dragon.  Granted, it was that or go full on anti fire and join the wight squad.  Perhaps the irony of his situation explains his terrific idea of holding tight to the somewhat chilly wight, even if he had to use one of Drogon's spikes to help him hold it still.  Now, if the show really was worth anything, they'd find a second or two to address how the Hound actually feels about a ride on a giant fire breathing lizard.  Ya'd think.  If they don't by next episode, it's a missed opportunity. 

That was very cool! I watched closely, he was OK around the dragons and around fire in general, but he reacted when he saw someone (or the bear) burning.

That was the case in Blackwater, he fought well in the fire, then saw the man on fire coming toward him, and that got to him. Reliving when he was burning.

Yeah, lots of missed opportunities on the show.

24 minutes ago, Yoren Luck said:

Yeah this felt odd to me too, like she had just cast a spell on him or something haha.

Funny then how Davos' first words after Gendry reaches that wall are "Get the Maester".  Not that it matters, I just assumed Eastwatch has someone there who can manage the ravens and Davos just used the word Maester because it is easier in-story to say that than a more lengthy explanation.  But it is still a relevant point - did Eastwatch have any ravens. If so, why didn't they bring their raven keeper person along on the journey.  That is after all how Samwell found himself north of the wall for the Fist of the First Men.  He was no maester, just working as an assistant to kept the birds

Good point! I totally forgot that it was Eastwatch not Castle Black. There must have been a master in every castle.

29 minutes ago, Yoren Luck said:

Because the maesters are not stupid to go to a wight hunt!

Don't see Cleganebowl happening in the books at all, he didn't kill his brother when he had a perfect chance, so why would he bother with his corpse. If the show goes there, it will be because "creatively it made sense to us, because we wanted it to happen."

21 minutes ago, Le Cygne said:

Ha ha ha! Maester Aemon would laugh at the wight hunt.

Totally. It's sad remembering how the characters from the first seasons would react seeing to what the ones that are left are doing now. 

Archived