[Spoilers] Rant and Rave Without Repercussion

Lady Fevre Dream

5 hours ago, darmody said:

Isn't their cousin Lord of the Vale? I realize he's a weirdo, but he's gotta at least be more mentally stable than Arya.

Why wouldn't Sansa want to be married again at some point, despite her history? Don't ladies want children anymore?

LF is Lord Protector right now, he is the one in control of the Kinights of the Vale. Robyn is hundreds of miles away (although that's not a big distance is Westeros this season) and he was swayed by LF because he brought him a gift. He is very childish and easily manipulated. Being able to impersonate LF could give Arya many opportunities.

As far as wanting to get married again...only on her terms. Realistically I think the northern lords would have already been pressing for a marriage and even though i cant imagine anyone not needing heavy years of counseling after Ramsay...this is GoT so she will probably forget all about it quickly.

I think it has not been mentioned before, but has anyone realized the WW are just a Gendry´s run from the Wall? If it does not fall at the very beginning of the next episode, I will officially start thinking the Night King has no intention whatsoever of invading Westeros and it is all in Jon´s imagination.

9 hours ago, OldGimletEye said:

Here is the jist of their conservation:

Arya: I don’t care if you were just a kid, a hostage, and they held a pistol to your head. You’re the worst.

Sansa: Nuh-uh, I’m the best thing to hit the North, since sliced bread. Everyone should kneel to me.

Terrible.

lol this is good, and acurate

- Giant Chain? seriously where did it come from?"

- Jon - all you had to do was get on Drogon instead you decide to keep killing wights for... reasons? I feel everything now is done for no other reason then they need to work that way.

-Wights are now a zombie horde wanting to eat the living?

- Dany and Tyrion scene was just the same recycled lines they have been saying to each other all season. Oh and thanks for telling me how in love Dany and Jon are, maybe next time I'll actually watch one of those inside the episodes as all they do there is explain why people do what they do in the show, because how bad they are at actually showing it. And I get the show tried showing (poorly) the defeat of highgarden so I get that that army is no longer useable, but there is no more dornish army? In the entire show we have seen Oberyn, Doran, Trystan, 2 sand snakes, then off scene the other 2 die. No other Dornishman has been killed so their army is no longer around for again... reasons?

- Ary and Sansa sweet Christ this shit belongs on the CW teenage hour. Everything about it makes no sense and they are not using Bran for again... reasons? Arya you are not a great assassin badass, all you did in Bravoos was get your ass kicked with a stick and you are so bad at being stealthy that LF out Scooby Doo'd you. You have no real reason to be this angry with Sansa other then yet again... reasons?

- Best part of the episode is that we have now made it 3 episodes without seeing Euron, unfortunately I do not think we will get to 4.

During Comicon Liam "Davos" answered the question How do you want the show to end (or some question like that)  with the following answer:

- I would like the Season Finale to be a musical !

Joke aside, that will make as much sense as the things that we saw in "Beyond the way" and probably what we will see in future episodes...

9 hours ago, King Louis II (KLII) said:

I can imagine a dialogue between GRRM and D&D (for simplicity just having here as one person)

D&D: Hey George, why are you taking so long to finish these books?

GRRM: It is very difficult, because to make sense of all the story, to not have continuity flaws or plot holes... it takes time 

D&D: But, why do you care? people are stupid, they will buy whatever you write.,..

GRRM: I don't think my readers are so gullible....

D&D: I am sure that now that they spent over 10 years following you , they will read anything you write, do like us, we already made our money, now we are trying to finish as fast as we can so we can make more money with another project. The majority of our viewers are too stupid to see the difference!!

GRRM: I am a little bothered by that....

Perfectly encapsulates what is happening here. It was my suspicion that D&D are tired of this project and have earned enough F***k you money to not care about how it's finished. In my view, season 5 started to show carelessness in the plots, but seasons 6&7 are a complete casual and forgetful mess. They seem to forget the happenings and the characteristics of the people they are writing about just to reach a half arsed idea they came up with in the writing room. It's been explained already in this thread but in the case of the last 2 seasons, the means don't seem to justify the ends. Capture/transport a wight for Cersie to see, send Gendry back to launch a raven, have the NK kill the far away flying dragon, have the dragon die and sink in a lake, have undead pull the dragon out with chains, etc, etc...  It reeks of either delegation of writing to interns or D&D just wanting to close this up and move on ASAP.

I might rant a little bit later but I think my complaints have already been covered by folks in this thread.   

The hypersonic ravens were ridiculous, but what made me legitimately angry was that Jon offered Longclaw to Jorah, but never thought to offer it to Lyanna.

Really, Jon? The girl stood by you when you were dragging your balls through the mud, she's the one who made you king, and you're offering her ancestral sword to the slaver?

1 hour ago, S. OF HOUSE STARK said:

Question: why have they sent the Hound to Kings Landing with the wight? It seems to set up a nice reunion with Brienne and his brother but wouldn't it have made better sense to send someone a bit more neutral (or at the very least a better diplomat) like Davos? The Hound is an inflammatory presence in KL. I'd also have preferred him to make his way back to WF to see Ayra and Sansa and stick it to LF. 

Setting up a scene where UnMountain gets close to the wight, which serves as hotspot for spooky NK/WW magic, becomes wight himself, attempts to murder everyone in sight including Cersei (convincing her of the reality of WW/AotD threat?), then gets killed by Hound (bonus points if he does it with fire)?

(I actually started a separate thread about this possibility, but it is still in pre-moderation.)

Well, this was huge disappointment... I actually liked some initial Suicide squad dialogue, but I was soon so much exhausted by Arya + Sansa, Dany + Tyrion and the battle that made no sense like no other before. I think we all hoped that the final clash won´t be easy "dragons vs. ice zombies", but we also hoped it won´t be series of silly contrivances that will defeat the dragons.

Speaking about them, is this story of Warcraft 3? The last year Arthas invaded home of the High elves and this season he necromanced Sapphiron :-).

Minor continuity issues: Tyrion says Dany told she can´t have children, yet I think this wasn´t in the shows version of MMD prophecy. Also din´t someone at Winterfell say that North has 20. 000 men, when several episodes before it was just 10.000? I mean it´s good that their army grows, but... 

9 hours ago, Lurid Jester said:

No characters were safe?  That's not true. They are all safe up until they meet their scripted end. The only reason the early deaths were shocking and unusual was because we didn't yet know who the main characters were. We thought Ned was.  Then Robb.  

Keep in mind that D&D can't just kill characters Willy-Nilly.  Characters that survive until then end have to actually survive until the end. 

Rewatch the episode. They were using dragonglass weapons.  

My bad. I wasn't paying attention to what thread I was replying to.  

I disagree-- its insulting to the viewer when we do know that Jon (or Jamie--last week) is 'safe' and yet they put a forced 'suspension' into the show.  We all know they are coming back next week.  Its insulting when regular TV does it, it is still insulting here.  So while yes, you can't kill off Jon, this whole teaser thing where the char is 'dead' or in 'mortal danger' --but not really-- rips you out of the immersion of the show.  Instead of OMG Jon just went under the water, its 'ok how does he get out of this one'.  Tormund was almost decent, but then he got saved at the end. Jorah falling off the dragon?  not even a meh.  It seems like they all wear plot armor.  Even minor characters are safe--they face mortal danger time and time again with no consequences. (Que Sir Galahad and 'just a bit more peril') What made GoT different was plot armor was non-existent.  Now its fantasy of the week.

And it is apparent that I wasn't the only one who missed them having Dragonglass weapons (and I saw the episode twice00once by myself, once with wife rewatching), but we get a conversation of nicknames for genitalia.  30 seconds last week after the scene in the cell of Jon/Davos handing out weapons would have cleared it up.  Its sloppy writing/directing.

8 hours ago, darmody said:

Maybe the pommel was inhabited by the ghost of Ghost. Which means Ghost was in the episode, after all.

Loophole!

infuriating easter egg to his book-resurrection I think.

Just look at that whole wight hunt ice lake scene.

You've got an ice lake with holes in it against ... dun dun isn't that Stannis's plot to lure Freys into their death. Hell we even had a burning and flaming swords: the night lamp theory. PLOTZEE!

And Jon's caesared around this time, and recovering/resurrected. Which blonde woman with a braid in white fur will be staring at his wounds he took for her people? PLOTZEE again! 

So, easter egg about Jon warging ghost while dead/comatose until he comes to again.

FINALLY i get to rant somewhere lol

How is Gendry the fastest? When was that established? How was a man who's never seen snow going to be faster in snow then anybody else, for example, like the red shirt wildlings and tormund, jon or any northmen for that matter?

In the books, I suspect Jon and Dany… But I know it will be over hundreds of pages, not 4 episodes and they didn't meet till the 3rd if im remembering correctly. I think they haven't been givin enough time to form a chemistry on screen and the writing has been terrible… the motivations, reactions, dialogue… Terrible.

Why is Jon bending the knee!? He needed an ally not a queen!? And if he give his knee to Dany why not to Cersei... I mean he wants her aid as well!? smh There so much wrong with this. not even talking to Anybody at winterfell for weeks and then without council bending the kneee, as if everybody would go along with it. Newsflash, if you bend the knee nobody at winterfell should or will listen to you because you're not a king anymore. Moron.  (Kinda Rob all over again)

The dragons are well well done.

Dany's outfit is well well done. Versace? Dior?

I have many nitpicks just about the overall emptiness of everything. Like where is everybody??? Does Dany have any subjects?

WHERE ARE THE PORTS!? Why would Eastwatch not have a Port!? Like everybody is loading up row boats. Dragon Stone doesn't have docks either but they are Mining Dragon glass... I guess lugging each load by row boats to the bigger ship thats not been seen.

So… let me get this straight.  Gendry runs to the wall. And sends a raven to DragonStone. Which is roughly 1800 miles away. How fast are ravens??? Raven fly about 30 to 35 mph. So it would take 60 hours, straight to get from Eastwatch to DragonStone… Without rest or food. 3 days overall. So they sat there for 3 days? Ok, that’s just getting the message to Dany. It would take about a day for the dragons to get to where they were. 4 days…

Also were the ice Javelins made specifically for felling dragons? And why didn't he use them to pick off Jon and the them on that isle??? They were there for days right?

Where's Ghost? Every episode.... Every last one.

Where'd the Chain come from?

So, this sequence made no sense. The wights surrounded the island because the lake broke up... But, later they are shown to be able to swim!? First when they come out the water to grab Tormund, and second when they some how swim down to get the dragon to affix chains to it and hoist it up.  They contradict themselves in the same episode. What would have made more sense is if they were stuck up a mountain and were able to funnel the wight and hold out for Dany and the Dragons. But egh.... worst ever.

Honestly it would have been better if Drogon was the one killed, then they are forced to run to Rhaegel and Viserion and get picked up, then the Night King has the biggest dragon, which would make him more of a threat to Dany despite being outnumbered in the air.

The whole idea was pretty dumb TBH, at this point they should be focusing on manning the wall and trying to burn the army of wights, getting a whole bunch of southerners involved probably won't help much.

The one nitpick I will disagree with is that the chains are unrealistic. There is no reason to believe the White Walkers can't get their thralls to work iron, maybe they had the chains prepared in advance for some other reason, or maybe they were made right then, after all if you can fly the length of Westeros in a couple of hours, then they could probably make some big ass chains in a day or two. lol

I mean can this get worse? I won't write down everything that was wrong with this episode because it would take hours, so let's just focus on the worst bits. 

1. Arya and Sansa. There are all kinds of wrong and stupid and egocentric. Competing who had it worse and more difficult in life probably wins all three categories when it comes to human interactions. But okay. We are all human, we all do stupid shit, we've all been there. Of course this doesn't mean that screentime should be spent on it. But then Arya acts like a complete psychopath and Sansa for some reason fears that the lords will hate her for something she did 6 years ago. Also, dont the lords know about this? This was the very letter that inspired Robb to march south and go to war against the Lannisters who held his father in captivity and his sister a hostage. Wasn't this common knowledge? And bringing up Lyanna Mormont whose idea of being a 10-year-old female means training the bow to be sent against a horde of zombies was just the worst. Lyanna Mormont is not what a ten year old is or ever should be. Arya's attitude is completely unfounded and psychotic, Sansa's concern is completely unfounded, their exchanges were cringy in every way possible. 

2. #feminism "what I did was against the rules, but it wasn't wrong, the rules were wrong" and "girls don't get to do what they want in this world" JUST. STOP. Does Jon, Jorah or Bran or any other guy get to do what they want in this world? I don't think so. 

3. Beyond Bullshit : So you go beyond the wall without fur hats and don't freeze in half a day? So you go beyond the wall for the first time and totally find your way back to eastwatch on the snow covered land? So you go beyond the wall where it's only cold enough that that the ice on top of a lake is like 2-3 inches thick and cracks when 7 average sized men step on it? And then it doesn't freeze back to the same 2 inch thickness in the matter of hours? And you go beyond the wall at sit at a comfortable distance from one another with no fire or shelter or fucking hates at night and don't freeze to death in the matter of hours? How cold is it beyond the wall? Like -5C? The ice on Lake Baikal is over 70cms thick in winter and hold 10 tons of weight in winter goddamnit, this place is supposed to be COLD. And how thick is plot armor? EVERYBODY survived that goddamn mission. Oh no, three nameless extras  didn't, and nor did Thoros who is like the seventh most important named character of the seven named characters on the trip. I was literally praying for Tormund to die so the goddamn episode would have some depth at least? 

4. More beyond bullshit - so Jon slays the walker and all the wights collapse except for one who conveniently wasn't animated by that walker so it can be captured?! What the actual fuck?! Just make up your mind. Do the wights fall if their walker is killed or do the wights not fall if their walker is killed, because this was just stupid and more random than anything I have ever seen in a plot. 

5. A bear? A goddamn bear? A GODDAMN BEAR? You have direwolves in the story to show and use and you waste CGI on a goddamn bear that doesn't even immediately take out the most disposable secondary character in the damn company? What was the POINT  of that bear? My fucking god, Jon's wolf hasn't made a damn appearance in the whole damn season and there's a fucking CGI bear that doesn't kill anybody? A fucking bear! Where did they get this genius idea? Aaah, look there was a bear in Vikings, should we do a bear? I mean yeah, it's not like we have other things to do with the leftover CGI budget. Okay so what should the bear do? Aaaah, nothing? I mean it could injure someone but you don't justhave the bear harm any of these very important and very relevant characters some of who we haven't seen for seasons! Yeah, okay. WHAT WAS THAT? Have JORAH fight the bear! Have Jorah be KILLED by the bear! Bear. Mormont. Shit. my god. 

6. Daenerys. So it's safe to say that I don't have a drop of sympathy for any of the main characters anymore. She flies in and saves everybody, lands, gets people on top of her dragon, and instead of immediately fleeing, they wait for Jon to fight. And Jon has to fight because he is fucking Jon and nobody tells him to get the fuck on the bloody dragon and out of here, I didn't fly in to watch you kill yourself, I'm here to take you out. So they wait. And wait. Patiently. So the NK has the time to get a spear, aim at Drogon, the dragon that landed and is carrying all humans, and last minute decide to throw it at ... er... that other dragon, it doesn't matter which one, nobody cares anyway. And then Jon is overpowered and bloody Daenerys is still waiting. Her dragon died for fucking Jon Snow and his stupidity. And it gets worse. They fly back to Eastwatch and she is looking out of a battlement, grief stricken because she lost fucking Jon Snow. Goddamn it, didn't your "child" just die?! We don't even find out which dragon died! Nobody cares. It's fucking Jon snow everybody cares about but he has plot armor and scuba gear thicker than the ice on lake baikal and he will come back anyways. And who cares about the dragon? We don't know his name and Jon snow is alive. Like who cares? Really? Who cares that their "child"/"pet" they had for 7 years died, the guy they've been crushing on for 2 months is fine! Thank god! It was all worth it! And that "Dany" line. My god. 

7. And the Hound takes he wight to KL by BOAT. Like... I guess maybe the other nameless dragon and Drogon actually take time off to mourn their brother and refuse to function as public transport? 

8. Cleisthenes Lannister, the most moral man in the universe. The night's watch and the Ironborn have a way. Yeah, they toss their cloak at the nearest buddy and tell them they have the NW. That's how Dolorous Edd became Lord Commander. Or they elect the absentee brother of the late lord who openly confesses to murdering his predecessor for no reason. WHAT A SYSTEM. And then I haven't said a damn word about democracy itself. Holy shit. At least he had a point about succession. It's interesting that this question has never been brought up in KL when childless, spouseless 40 year oldCersei Lannister was crowned. But I guess I'm asking too much by one episode being consistent with another. 

9. All the missed opportunities. Have Jorah fight/kill/be killed by the bear (if you must have the goddamn bear). Can I call you Dany? / ah-oh, my brother called me that? / ah-oh, can I call you the same thing as your family did? / ah-oh, yeah, welcome to the family zone Jon Snow, this is your chamber, your neighbor is Jorah at the next door to friend zone. Oh no, Tormund died! Oh no, Drogon died. Oh no, my other nameless dragon died too. Have. Something. Unexpected. Happen. Or I guess they did, because surely didn't expect everybody to survive and the least important dragon to fall. 

I'm just so appalled and so shaken. I mean is this rock bottom or is there lower? I bet there is. I just want a montage of cleganebowl and a wild Jon/"Dany" sex scene cut together and the season will be complete. And for god's sake where the fuck is Bran and Missandei? 

I'm so done. 

Archived