Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

4 hours ago, Euron's Mom said:

A little piece of me dies inside with every episode after Season 4 (The Children is my favorite episode of the show so far).  Fortunately the first 4 seasons gave me such strong reserves that I can go on for a while yet.  This is not the same show as what it used to be.  I will still ride it out though since I have so many years invested emotionally.

Well said...

10 minutes ago, lancerman said:

People generally really loved the episode so yeah.....

Anyways why would Dany go with a rival king, his wildling friend, the bastard of the usurper who is loyal to Jon's friend, etc for something she didn't entirely believe in? Would she bring her army? Why would she risk them amidst a war. 

Did they?  I'm not seeing that from the reviews.  I'm seeing a fair amount of criticism that the show has finally gone too far and that now even the critics are only watching for the spectacle and the end.

39 minutes ago, Cron said:

I read everything you wrote, and I hear you.

I really, really do.

In fact, many times on these boards, I have taken a position very similar to what you just took.

But there are limits, and there can come a time when things become so obviously implausible that it detracts from, and pulls you out of, the immersive experience. 

You're right...

2 minutes ago, Olorin81 said:

What I think is maybe even more unbelievable is Jon Snow not dying of hypothermia after going into that icy water. In the real world you would be so dead.

He's animated by fire, though. It seems like that might help him not freeze to death?

1 hour ago, ramla said:

Its like 600 miles between Castle Black and Winterfell.

Yes, good point, and you are correct.

I have revised my estimates since I posted that comment you quoted.

I now believe that the trip from Eastwatch to Dragonstone is at least about 1,000 miles, one way.

AT LEAST. (I'm seeing estimates of even MORE miles between them, elsewhere.  Indeed, some estimates are around 1,900 to 2,000 miles, ONE WAY.)

And that's not even counting the distance Gendry ran.

26 minutes ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Never said I was 3 weeks... I said Those 3 episodes (from 2 to 6) are weeks... I don't know How many weeks... But it still weeks... 

Sorry, should have explained better. If it was more than 3 weeks, they probably would have said a month, or a moon cycle or however they want to show a month has passed. But they didn't, assuming it was 3. That's my bad. 

Still, even at six weeks that would be a pretty quick amount of time.

19 minutes ago, OldManDennis said:

"And this same episode had the balls to have Sansa tell Brienne that it would take a long time to get to Winterfell."

Bravo sir

LOl. This killed me. I was waiting for the next scene to be Brienne in KL or very close to it. 

I thought GRRM has stated that Westeros is roughly the size of South America.  Is that not correct?

If it is then these distance problems are not the issue people make them out to be.

And let's just assume that Jon Snow knows how long it will take a raven to get to Dragonstone and he had full faith that it'd get there and Dany would get back pretty fast.....so.......there ya go.

57 minutes ago, Vernon Roche said:

Whilst I obviously stated what I did above, I agree, elements of this episode did pull you out and felt rushed like in my second paragraph, it was a flawed episode in some respects that meant you couldn't completely enjoy it.

All fair enough.

And I, for my part, have not lost sight of the fact that there WAS some good stuff in this episode.

11 hours ago, Cron said:

Take a look at a map of Westeros.

It is 1,000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing.  That is known.

The distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone looks to me to be very close to the same, and that's not counting the distance north of the wall that Gendry ran on foot (an unknown distance, but surely some miles, I would think)

It is a month in a wagon train on the kings road from Winterfell to King's Landing. That is mentioned in the first episode and in the books. Assuming a daily speed of 20-30 km and 30 days of travel, that would yield a distance of some 600-900 km or 400-600 miles.

1 hour ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

Ok...:agree:

Gendry : How do you keep your balls from freezing up here?

Tormund : You have to keep moving. That's the secret... Walking is good, Fighting is Better and Fucking is Best... 

Jon : There is not a living woman in a hundred miles...

Tormund : We have to do with what we got

OK! I'm not saying that They were f***ng (because they weren't moving... and they weren't fighting... They started fighting afterwards) each other since there were only men amongst them  :lol:... But they just don't want to show us everything ... And it is impossible that the ice came back in one piece only in hours... Plus, when Dany left with the dragons and Co, Jon was rescued by The Beloved and Most Wanted Uncle Benjen, and then he's seen arriving at EastWatch on the back of the Horse ... Surely, he arrived hours after them... It took them minutes I think to arrive there... With his horse, it took him more than that... So are we assuming that Dany was freezing up there waiting for the TV premiere of "Jon's Come back! At 9pm" ? Surely not. Stop staring at those small details... Surely it is very bizarre (very fast)... But they just want us to understand and fill the gaps... :dunno:

HARRR!!

Great stuff, I loved reading it all!!!

So, what are you suggesting, the possibility that there were women up there (possibly live, possibly undead) that the Magnificent 7 were having sex with on that rock in order to stay alive????

1 hour ago, lancerman said:

People generally really loved the episode so yeah.....

Anyways why would Dany go with a rival king, his wildling friend, the bastard of the usurper who is loyal to Jon's friend, etc for something she didn't entirely believe in? Would she bring her army? Why would she risk them amidst a war. 

More great questions.

Perhaps one day, we'll get great answers.

34 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

He's animated by fire, though. It seems like that might help him not freeze to death?

Thats a stretch but possible. 

Either way I think we should all stop worrying about the distances and bird speeds because its pretty obvious the whole sequence was ludicrous and impossible. No doubt this has spoiled the show permanently for now, and I'm not even being over the top

11 minutes ago, Zumbs said:

It is a month in a wagon train on the kings road from Winterfell to King's Landing. That is mentioned in the first episode and in the books. Assuming a daily speed of 20-30 km and 30 days of travel, that would yield a distance of some 600-900 km or 400-600 miles.

But...I think you're assuming a daily average speed which is pretty conservative.

On a road (the purpose of which is to increase speed and east of travel), I think even 30 to 40 miles per pay is pretty conservative, even for a caravan like Robert and Cersei used in Season One.

Assuming 8 to 10 hours of travel today, at a VERY leisurely pace of about 5 miles per hour, we are talking about 40 to 50 miles per day.

Over an entire month.'

And we are TOLD in the show that it is 1,000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing.

I think it's pretty reasonable for us to rely on this information.

11 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Thats a stretch but possible. 

Either way I think we should all stop worrying about the distances and bird speeds because its pretty obvious the whole sequence was ludicrous and impossible. No doubt this has spoiled the show permanently for now, and I'm not even being over the top

Hahaha, oh my god I've just been reminded of the whole swallow carrying a coconut bit from Monty Python's Holy Grail.

40 minutes ago, Cron said:

Yes, good point, and you are correct.

I have revised my estimates since I posted that comment you quoted.

I now believe that the trip from Eastwatch to Dragonstone is at least about 1,000 miles, one way.

AT LEAST. (I'm seeing estimates of even MORE miles between them, elsewhere.  Indeed, some estimates are around 1,900 to 2,000 miles, ONE WAY.)

And that's not even counting the distance Gendry ran.

LOL Yes i was trying to figure that math out. I think a part of the puzzle is how far did the magnificent 7 march before Gendry began his marathon back. Looking at the map they had to have been out of the haunted forest to be near the mountains. Which raises a great many other questions.

48 minutes ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

600 miles?  In this show?  Nah.  It's more like 600 feet.  Arya's missed arrow from her talk with Sansa when Ned watched them actually hit the Wall.  She was aiming really high on that arrow.  

CTHU accurate Assessment!

Archived