Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

Let's imagine you're writing a show about the Crusades, and you have a scene where a band of Christian knights is ambushed somewhere around Jerusalem. The group splits up, most of the knights running towards a hill where they can fortify their position, and a single knight told to 'run off and warn the King'. A scene later, the first group is on the hill, and the lone knight has arrived in Paris exhausted... Then, one more scene later, the group of knights is about to be assaulted after spending a night fortified on the hill... the fight starts... they are about to be defeated... but behold, the French king and an army of knights has just ridden from Paris to that same hill in Jerusalem and saves them.

Would we ever accept this storytelling, because it's 'just a show'?

It bothers me that the show and the showrunners seem to constantly be looking down at us as fantasy readers - if you are writing a historical drama, then obviously it's a show for 'serious' people, and you can't have unrealistic teleportation powers. But since this is a fantasy show, written for obviously unsophisticated nerds, all we need to make them happy is have dragons flying around, consistency and realism in the world be damned.

Apparently fantasy is a 'lesser' genre, where realism doesn't matter, and all that is needed to satisfy its fans is tits, zombies, and dragons.

13 hours ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I honestly think the teleportation this episode is indefensible. It's insulting to the audience to expect us to believe it's possible after everything we've learnt about Westeros. 

The worst thing is those who didn't even notice an issue. 

I know. It's a big issue. But we have had teleportations since a long time ago, so we are supposed to believe this is not an issue.

but cn anyone find a plausible explanation for why does the NK have chains?

why do they go to the Wight mission if Cersei doesn't have an army?

why do they only have one Valyrian sword and they risk the lives of the only ones who can defeat the was in the future?

they realm expected to find just a lone ww pattrooling with some wights? I mean....really?

Just now, Lord Okra said:

Wow.

D&D are finishing the series that GRRM abandoned.

And you are mad at D&D.....

*rolls eyes*

lots of people are rolling eyes actually, and that has nothing to do with the fact the books are released or not, BC I think people would like them to be released....but seeing how the show is written in such a lazy style (being destroyed) is something to be bothered about.

8 hours ago, RedShirt47 said:

Now that's a separate criticism, and one I can agree more with. The complaint I'm discussing here is the logistics of telling a story spread over such a large geographical area. I don't see it as a major issue that Gendry made it to the wall in a few hours, meh...

When characters start doing things just to fit the story rather then it is bad writing.

I don't see what Gendry's run has to do with the logistics of telling *a* story spread over a large geographical area.

Admittedly, they need it in order to tell the specific story of a band of idiots marching out in the snowy wilderness to hunt for a zombie for no good reason, who require a man to run nobody knows how far in order to get a message to dragons thousands of miles away so that the band can be saved in the nick of time shortly after a lake refreezes sufficiently to carry the weight of a zombie army. 

But they don't need to tell that story, do they? The needs of a crappy story don't justify crappy means of telling. Logistical complications don't excuse the Gendry run in my mind any more than they would excuse crossing over the Flash from the CW to take Gendry's place.

How about we just don't tell the story that way, instead?

24 minutes ago, Iotun said:

Apparently fantasy is a 'lesser' genre, where realism doesn't matter, and all that is needed to satisfy its fans is tits, zombies, and dragons.

You are finally catching on.  In a fantasy world filled with magic and dragons and ice zombies........you can toss realism out the window.

If that's a problem then don't watch fantasy stories I guess......or superhero flicks.......or anything that has to do with space travel at all (esp this one).

17 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

lots of people are rolling eyes actually, and that has nothing to do with the fact the books are released or not, BC I think people would like them to be released....but seeing how the show is written in such a lazy style (being destroyed) is something to be bothered about.

Stop watching it and wait for the books.

Problem solved.

I'm a man who seeks solutions.  You can thank me later.

39 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

Wow.

D&D are finishing the series that GRRM abandoned.

And you are mad at D&D.....

*rolls eyes*

Abandoned is definitely the wrong term to use. If you mean the show. D&D abandoned half the story. Skipped Feast altogether.

Just now, ramla said:

Abandoned is definitely the wrong term to use. If you mean the show. D&D abandoned half the story. Skipped Feast altogether.

I wouldn't know.  I quit the books after two of them.  First off, they are better as a shortened tv show......second, after two I found out that the next book had been delayed again so I figured.......why not just stick with the more enjoyable format, the tv show.

Probably why I don't get so upset and can enjoy the best show on tv while bitter book fans are so irate that the story they don't know the end to is being finished on screen in a way they assume is incorrect that they can't enjoy the best show on tv.

But I've come to accept that the bitter book fans will congregate on the show forums so they can be whinging incessantly about D&D.

What they should have done is aired everything up to the standoff in 705, started with an Arya and Sansa scene in 706, then move Dany, then another of the Arya Sansa scenes, then Dany arrives.  Or Jorah could have said "It's been a week, Jon.  We're going to freeze.  and the lake is freezing."  Or Jon could have said, It takes a raven 3 days to get from Eastwatch to Dragonstone.I would guess it would take a day for Dany to fly here.  she should be here any time now."

Anything to show that time has passed.  In a 24 hour twilight, they aren't going to be able to do it with lighting.

6 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

You are finally catching on.  In a fantasy world filled with magic and dragons and ice zombies........you can toss realism out the window.

If that's a problem then don't watch fantasy stories I guess......or superhero flicks.......or anything that has to do with space travel at all (esp this one).

Maybe you know about writing or maybe you don't but, in Writing... the best stories, even fantasy are entrenched in some sort of realism. Just because u have dragons doesn't mean they can behave outside the established norms of that world. If in the first episode of the show, its established that it took a month for king Robert and his family to travel north to winterfell... Doesn't mean the same distance can now be traversed on foot in hours or a day...

5 hours ago, Being Daenerys Targaryen said:

He was wounded by a dead bear... And he died... Could have been anyone... Why Jon didn't die of freezing;.. And Beric? And the Hound? Joar? Why Thoros with his top knot would die from freezing if they are all in the same place? That's why I thought his wounds took him... And they had to burn the body or he would become a wight IF the night king decides to show off ...;) mmmh I don't know;..

I assumed Topknot died because he lost blood, not directly from his wounds. You can clearly see he looks peaked after the bear attack. People with thinner blood freeze faster. 

3 minutes ago, ramla said:

Maybe you know about writing or maybe you don't but, in Writing... the best stories, even fantasy are entrenched in some sort of realism. Just because u have dragons doesn't mean they can behave outside the established norms of that world. If in the first episode of the show, its established that it took a month for king Robert and his family to travel north to winterfell... Doesn't mean the same distance can now be traversed on foot in hours or a day...

The story has it's own rules.

The air speed of an unladen swallow isn't one of them.  Nor is the airspeed of a dragon.

Did I say swallow......oops

9 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

I wouldn't know.  I quit the books after two of them.  First off, they are better as a shortened tv show......second, after two I found out that the next book had been delayed again so I figured.......why not just stick with the more enjoyable format, the tv show.

Probably why I don't get so upset and can enjoy the best show on tv while bitter book fans are so irate that the story they don't know the end to is being finished on screen in a way they assume is incorrect that they can't enjoy the best show on tv.

But I've come to accept that the bitter book fans will congregate on the show forums so they can be whinging incessantly about D&D.

Ahhh ok. So you don't really get down with GRRM's work the Source material. Thats ok. Not gonna have everybody like the same stuff. I actually came to the books because of the show. Somebody ruined neds death and i just had to read the story. But anyways i see where you're coming from.

I enjoyed the show... But I dislike poor writing. And to me, Even separating the book from the show, doesn't really save it from criticism nomatter how bitter i may be lol. But again, thats my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

What they should have done is aired everything up to the standoff in 705, started with an Arya and Sansa scene in 706, then move Dany, then another of the Arya Sansa scenes, then Dany arrives.  Or Jorah could have said "It's been a week, Jon.  We're going to freeze.  and the lake is freezing."  Or Jon could have said, It takes a raven 3 days to get from Eastwatch to Dragonstone.I would guess it would take a day for Dany to fly here.  she should be here any time now."

Anything to show that time has passed.  In a 24 hour twilight, they aren't going to be able to do it with lighting.

yeah, that's what really bothered me about this episode.  Like all it would take was a simple line or fix to alleviate a lot of these concerns.  I really don't understand why they did it the way they did, which brought unnecessary questions up about the ridiculous travel. Why even include Gendry running back to send a raven?  Just have the story the exact same way, then Dany shows up in the nick of time, and have her be like "I left right after you...I felt bad about leaving you guys alone."  Problem solved.  

There were many things like that with really simple fixes.  I don't know if it's direction or writing or a mix of both, but it really detracted from what otherwise I felt like was a GREAT episode.  

Another thing that really bothered me was the stupidity of both the Night King and Jon in Viserion's death scene.  They did not behave logically and Jon's apparent death would have been a lot better of a moment had they effectively portrayed Jon going on a suicide charge to take out the Night King.  Instead you like fake out that's what he's gonna do, then he just turns around and tries running back.   

Archived