Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

1 minute ago, Lord Okra said:

I'm well aware that you only want to be whinging about the show.

I was just trying to help anyway.

Enjoy hating the show every week.

Ahh, a new word.  I never even knew it existed.  I thought D&D were trying  to create their own meme when hound said it.

Turns out it's a proper English word for incessant complaining.

26 minutes ago, Illiterati said:

What they should have done is aired everything up to the standoff in 705, started with an Arya and Sansa scene in 706, then move Dany, then another of the Arya Sansa scenes, then Dany arrives.  Or Jorah could have said "It's been a week, Jon.  We're going to freeze.  and the lake is freezing."  Or Jon could have said, It takes a raven 3 days to get from Eastwatch to Dragonstone.I would guess it would take a day for Dany to fly here.  she should be here any time now."

Anything to show that time has passed.  In a 24 hour twilight, they aren't going to be able to do it with lighting.

While I feel you it, what you are asking for is not necessary.

I watched the show with 4 other very casuals and not one complained about teleporting or anything like it.

Why not?  Because it would be a uber petty complaint.  They understand......time passes between scenes....an undisclosed amount of time passes between these scenes.  They learned this by watching the rest of the series.

We are way, way past having to cue the audience in that so much time has passed.  That's the kind of stuff you do in the early seasons to establish distances/timeframes.....diminishing as the seasons pass by and the viewer has come to understand that time passes between scenes.

A day or two or three passed.  That's all one has to understand.  They don't need to tell us.  We aren't little kids watching Spongebob Squarepants so it isn't needed.

This is just petty fussing that never ends on these forums by supposed fans of the series.

It is no different than the complaints we got after the previous episode where people complained about only 7 people going beyond the wall.  Oh, hardy dar......it is just the Mag Seven going beyond the wall.....so unrealistic......until the next episode establishes that they brought along another 6-8 dudes to haul stuff........but why didn't they show them!!!!!! Why???? Huh????? Cause they suck!!!!!

No, because they took a cinematography class and know how to produce a "shot" for dramatic effect.........so the closed with a cool shot of our heroes walking out from the wall.

Eff that explanation.....I want to be whinging about D&D!!!!!   They shoulda showed it......screw proper tv shots and dramatic effect.

22 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

I'm well aware that you only want to be whinging about the show.

I was just trying to help anyway.

This is a thread about the most unrealistic wildly thing ever on Got. And as I told you, I'm not asking for any type of help because

1) I don't need it

2) If I needed, I'd ask in a specific thread about it

, but what I'm doing is commenting.

22 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

Enjoy hating the show every week.

That does not apply to me. But I'm sure you can find someone who "enjoys" "hating" the show. Maybe it's not the thread about it, though

1 minute ago, Meera of Tarth said:

This is a thread about the most unrealistic wildly thing ever on Got. And as I told you, I'm not asking for any type of help because

1) I don't need it

2) If I needed, I'd ask in a specific thread about it

, but what I'm doing is commenting.

That does not apply to me. But I'm sure you can find someone who "enjoys" "hating" the show. Maybe it's not the thread about it, though

But the most unrealistic thing ever on GoT is not teleporting.

It's dragons.  Well, maybe it's being a fireproof princess that births dragons.

Nah, it is ice zombies.

Wait, it is those dudes who create the ice zombies.

I guess it could be a number of things just not teleporting.

That guy who can control beasts and see everything that's happened since the beginning of time by touching a special tree?  Nah, that's realistic compared to some a missing 24 hour time lapse.

lol

I'm telling you, these things crack me up.

What I love is if you go back through this topic you'll find people saying "they've been having the teleporting problem since season one" or something similar to that.  This is great because it is the fact that they jumped a month in time in the very first episode with a sentence to clarify it......they've conditioned the audience for 7 years to accept that time passes between scenes....sometimes a month or more passes even.....yet here, on the GoT forum.......where the experts reside........they still haven't picked up that this is just the way the show has been for a LONG time because they aren't going to fuddle around on the road all the time.

21 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

But the most unrealistic thing ever on GoT is not teleporting.

It's dragons.  Well, maybe it's being a fireproof princess that births dragons.

Nah, it is ice zombies.

Wait, it is those dudes who create the ice zombies.

I guess it could be a number of things just not teleporting.

That guy who can control beasts and see everything that's happened since the beginning of time by touching a special tree?  Nah, that's realistic compared to some a missing 24 hour time lapse.

lol

I'm telling you, these things crack me up.

The things have been established in the show as the magical element. (based on ASOIAF).

What I love is if you go back through this topic you'll find people saying "they've been having the teleporting problem since season one" or something similar to that.  This is great because it is the fact that they jumped a month in time in the very first episode with a sentence to clarify it......they've conditioned the audience for 7 years to accept that time passes between scenes....sometimes a month or more passes even.....yet here, on the GoT forum.......where the experts reside........they still haven't picked up that this is just the way the show has been for a LONG time because they aren't going to fuddle around on the road all the time.

Actually, My first post in this thread some pages back was that teleporting was the smallest issue for me (not that I don't care about) compared to other things such as:

-there is no need for a wight hunt because Cersei's army is almost defeated

-they have no weapons, almost. 

-They are the leaders/warriors and they are going to the suicide mission. What happens if they lose? Who is gonna fight the wws then?

-Did they really expect to find some wights peacefully  patrolling?

While I do kinda have to take my suspension of disbelief to the extremes, I still can get over the whole "OMG how fast did Gendry run / Dany fly to the rescue" thing... Would've been nice if they had thought of a better quick qay to get the message to Dany, like Bran, Melisandre, or just Dany seeing it in the fire or whatever... But OK, I can accept this worked and worked within this timeline.

What I can't get over in that whole sequence though, is the whole plan to begin with. So a massive army of the undead storms them, and their plan is not to spread out (while one or two take the wight with them), but to send someone back to the wall, so he can send for help, which THEY KNOW will only get there in a few days. Then they run from the undead mob, try to cross the frozen lake and actually seem to be surprised the ice is cracking. So the whole "let's make a stand on this island in the lake" thing seems to come out of nowhere, spur of the moment, yet their whole rescue plan depends on it.

Or did I miss something before that scene in which they noticed the lake already? I repeated the part in which they got attacked, but nowhere do they seem to have an actual plan for sitting it out a day or more. I just don't get the reasoning of their long-term rescue plan while the troubles they are facing are actually quite a bit more urgent...

2 hours ago, Meera of Tarth said:

I

so we have to suppose this season is not filler bit the books are?

timeline don't even makes sense in the show. Sometimes they speak of years, sometimes it's just weeks.

not concerned about the speed of the dragon ir the ravens. I suppose it took 48 hours, so it's plausible. The logic of everything else is what bothers me.

Yeah, passage of time/pacing can be annoying and it's definitely not consistent. With that said, the amount of characters and the plot call for the pacing to either slow down or speed up. This season, if we went by the pacing of season 1 would not finish for 20+ episodes. 

In regards to the filler, what I meant to say is, GRRM added a lot of things like Quentyn in essos but it was really not required. It was obvious filler and did not add anything to the story outside of thr reader learning about the contract/pact. The introduction of Aegon may have worked to some extend in the book, but introducing Aegon in the 4-5 season as PTWP would not work. These things would be considered as filler in the tv show no matter how you spin it. 

Regarding the logic, I'm not going to argue that characters all act according to logic. However, I do think a lot of characters do act within the realm of possibility. The characters certainly use more logic than a high majority of other tv show character.

Going back to the pacing though, it an issue and it will only get worse as the last book is probably the longest.

1 hour ago, Lord Okra said:

People who subject themselves to stimuli that causes them to complain constantly have issues.

Seriously.

What's the "issue" causing you to subject yourself to complaints about the show, about which you in turn repeatedly complain?

Well, they needed more than two more seasons to do all this stuff properly and avoid these glaring plot problems, or at least the full 10 episodes for S7&8. Too much screen time spent on slow-moving, long drawn-out storylines in past seasons, such as Dany faffing about in Meereen, to having to squeeze everything left in in far too few episodes now.

4 minutes ago, Castanightmere said:

While I do kinda have to take my suspension of disbelief to the extremes, I still can get over the whole "OMG how fast did Gendry run / Dany fly to the rescue" thing... Would've been nice if they had thought of a better quick qay to get the message to Dany, like Bran, Melisandre, or just Dany seeing it in the fire or whatever... But OK, I can accept this worked and worked within this timeline.

What I can't get over in that whole sequence though, is the whole plan to begin with. So a massive army of the undead storms them, and their plan is not to spread out (while one or two take the wight with them), but to send someone back to the wall, so he can send for help, which THEY KNOW will only get there in a few days. Then they run from the undead mob, try to cross the frozen lake and actually seem to be surprised the ice is cracking. So the whole "let's make a stand on this island in the lake" thing seems to come out of nowhere and as a spur of the moment thing, yet their whole rescue plan depends on it.

Or did I miss something before that scene in which they noticed the lake already? I repeated the part in which they got attacked, but nowhere do they seem to have an actual plan for sitting it out a day or more. I just don't get the reasoning of their long-term rescue plan while the troubles they are facing are quite pressing...

There are some legit criticisms to make about the way the scene was shot (not the teleporting).

I don't really have a problem with the lake thing other than it appearing out of nowhere.  The camera angles are all messed up in this scene.  They run toward the coming ice storm but then the hoard ends up coming from behind them????  What?  How?  Did they shoot that right?

As far as the ice lake....it was pretty convenient.  But, how else could they had survived?   

And then the whole camera angle on the NK spear chunking.  You gotta pick a better angle there so that it doesn't look like he goes for the super hard target instead of the duck that already landed on the pond.  I guess the director had never been duck hunting.  Better shot would have been the NK way up high looking down on the scene.....obviously out of range of Jon's island.....just watching from a high vantage point.....and have him take down a closer flying dragon with the same sequence pretty much.

I don't put that on the writers though.....that's on the director of the episode.

9 minutes ago, darmody said:

What's the "issue" causing you to subject yourself to complaints about the show, about which you in turn repeatedly complain?

People who find that something annoys them but continue to subject themselves to it voluntarily have issues imo.  It isn't a healthy behavior pattern.

For instance, I was watching The Walking Dead but it got more and more annoying to watch for me.  So, I stopped watching it and stopped going to a forum where I'd talk about the characters......because watching something that I'll just be complaining about tomorrow is not right.....that's a me issue if I'm doing that.

I notice some people have said something about the chains and I never replied to any directly but I'll give my take on the chains....

I assume that they went and got the chains either before this episode (this would help explain what they'd be up to) or they went and got them from somewhere after the battle.

So when people say.....how come the NK doesn't teleport.....well, he's been out gathering big chains to tear down part of the wall or he's been out gathering chains to bring up he dragon........

And no, i don't need to see him off gathering the chains.

3 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

I notice some people have said something about the chains and I never replied to any directly but I'll give my take on the chains....

I assume that they went and got the chains either before this episode (this would help explain what they'd be up to) or they went and got them from somewhere after the battle.

So when people say.....how come the NK doesn't teleport.....well, he's been out gathering big chains to tear down part of the wall or he's been out gathering chains to bring up he dragon........

And no, i don't need to see him off gathering the chains.

But the wildlings don't have iron. So, as long as the NK didn't get south of of the wall, he has no steel chains.

Archived