Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

8 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

Here you are with the Cersie crap again.

Nobody on the show trusts Cersie.  They are trying to convince Jamie because he is the reasonable one and he is the one who actually (so far) leads all of Cersie's ground forces.

So, if we can convince Jamie then he won't lead Cersie's armies against us from the rear while we are gone.....maybe he even takes the remaining forces and marches them north.

Or maybe we can convince the remaining Lords of the Reach and Dorne and the Stormlands and the Vale and the Riverlands......

Maybe Edmure shows his face at this meeting.  Maybe SweetRobin shows up.

If any of them do......your plot hole is filled in with cement.  Your stupid mission talk ends up sounding stupid....because you jumped the gun.

`For the last time:  Dorne, Vale, Riverlands, Reach, North are already as convinced as they need to be, they are allied with Jon/Dany.  

Going by time shown on screen it's morning when Jon and company leave Eastwatch, and it's starting to get dark when Gendry returns. Given the pace they move, time it takes to battle zombie bear, and time to plan an ambush for the Wight party, which appears to be moving in a direction towards the wall, it is plausible that Gendry could run to Eastwatch in time.

But because there is no definitive mention of actual distances and time, it becomes a guessing game. With what was shown in the episode it is more likely that they travelled around 10-30 miles from the wall. 

9 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Its a good point though, if the army of the dead is that close to the wall then those on the wall would be able to see them.

Either way, the way the episode was directed suggested the band were trecking for about a day or more until they met the army of the dead. Even when Gendry is running back he's running towards the wall.. but you can't see the wall! So how far away is it?! There are a number of basic storytelling elements there that can only be described as flaws. 

They should have known the teleportation thing would crop up this episode, but they added bits like Gendry which only made the problems worse. 

More, we're shown that all the Wall at Eastwatch can see is the Haunted forest. So, the M7 and Gendry on his way back traversed the Haunted Forest before they got to the mountainous area off-screen, before and after. They were definitely father away than a day's walk from the Wall.

It's a great pity: they tried to give attention to passage of time, but it only backfired, because whether you try to fudge or ignore teleportation or Ferrari ravens, the inherent flaw of time is always there.

8 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

This is not a plot hole. How far away was the party from Eastwatch? Who knows. But it was obviously close enough that someone could run back to it in a matter of hours. But apparently you need a little scroll on the bottom of the screen to let you know exactly how many miles they are from the Wall in order for you to believe that this is possible.  Honestly there are many many things one could complain about this episode.  I am sorry this isn't one of them.  This is nitpicking and complaining for the sake of nitpicking and complaining.

We know (through dialogue) they head towards Hardhome (last place NK was) and just outside of Eastwach there's haunted forest; which you have to pass to in order to get into mountain area/Hardhome which is quite far.

You could say "but they changed it, the world is not the same". Which would be a good argument, however during the opening shot of an episode there's a map (table map) with exact same setting, haunted forest outside Eastwach and camera then zooms further on towards the mountains area just underneath Hardhome. Next scene is our heroes walking in that exact 'mountainous' area. My bet is that they made it so (those two scenes in sequence) just so - we - the viewers would understand that they're far away from EW on foot without the need to actually show us the whole trip there. Ironic when you consider what happens during the rest of the episode :D

They really f**** it up with this whole episode.

3 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

Yep.  Once again you ignore half the scenes.

First off, Jon Snow as a bastard and had no rightful claim to Winterfell or as leader of the Northern Houses.  They go over this in the show.  You missed it again.

Second, they give you a Glover scene where he's saying that the Bolton's just helped him take back his family home.....you must have missed it.  So, this Glover guy is to swear allegiance to a bastard with no claim on the North and oppose the people who just assisted him.  Yet, in your view, Jon is stupid for not being able to convince him or others in similar positions.

Third, the Northern Lords don't believe the WW crap so there is no justification for letting the wildlings across (their old nemesis)......they had a convo on this stuff.......So it is true, you let the wildlings into the North.....

If the show sucks, stop watching it.

Only a total moron watches a program they think sucks.  Are you a complete moron?

Personal attacks are not allowed on this forum. 

9 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

We know (through dialogue) they head towards Hardhome (last place NK was) and just outside of Eastwach there's haunted forest; which you have to pass to in order to get into mountain area/Hardhome which is quite far.

You could say "but they changed it, the world is not the same". Which would be a good argument, however during the opening shot of an episode there's a map (table map) with exact same setting, haunted forest outside Eastwach and camera then zooms further on towards the mountains area just underneath Hardhome. Next scene is our heroes walking in that exact 'mountainous' area. My bet is that they made it so (those two scenes in sequence) just so - we - the viewers would understand that they're far away from EW on foot without the need to actually show us the whole trip there. Ironic when you consider what happens during the rest of the episode :D

They really f**** it up with this whole episode.

Where on show do they tell us there is a haunted forest?

I never saw them marching through the haunted forest.

Oh, you are dragging book stuff into the show so you can complain about the show not making sense.

Problem with your position is the show stands alone.  If they don't show a haunted forest or talk about having to cross a haunted forest then they don't have to account for this haunted forest that hasn't been established on the show.

People don't study the map so they complain like you are doing.  That's what people actively looking for issues do.

Fans of the show don't do that kind of stuff.  I've been watching the show for years and have never noticed a haunted forest across the wall from Eastwatch because......why would I?  They only added Eastwatch to the opening this season.

Just now, Lord Okra said:

Where on show do they tell us there is a haunted forest?

I never saw them marching through the haunted forest.

Oh, you are dragging book stuff into the show so you can complain about the show not making sense.

Problem with your position is the show stands alone.  If they don't show a haunted forest or talk about having to cross a haunted forest then they don't have to account for this haunted forest that hasn't been established on the show.

People don't study the map so they complain like you are doing.  That's what people actively looking for issues do.

Fans of the show don't do that kind of stuff.  I've been watching the show for years and have never noticed a haunted forest across the wall from Eastwatch because......why would I?  They only added Eastwatch to the opening this season.

first bolded ... I just told you, in the opening scene -> the forest outside the Eastwatch, it is on the map and that map matches the one from the books.

second bolded ... Are you making the fool out of me? They show the haunted forest at every Wall scene, there are no mountains in plain vision. This ain't from the books, it's in the show as well. And they spend in those woods for quite some time in previous seasons, hell, the shows starts with the scene in 'haunted forest', not to mention Caster's keep, Mance defeat,...

third bolded, again -> they showed the map in show, in the opening scene, immediately outside Eastwatch there's forest that stretches on parallel to the wall.

24 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

A question isn't a personal attack.

Seriously.

You know full well that several of us in this thread think the show sucks, but still watch it. Only a complete moron would post a passive aggressive statement calling someone a moron for doing something, when they are aware that the person they are addressing fits said criteria, and not think that it is an insulting, personal attack.

Are you a complete moron?

Do you see how that works now?

So, if your not a complete moron, you should agree that you owe @Cas Stark and the rest of us morons an apology.

Well, anyway, I am completely convinced that YES, the wight hunt was by far the most wildly unrealistic thing that the show has ever done.

It makes that season 4 stuff of "Yara" and the IB running away from shirtless Ramsay in his PJ's because "dogs" look like brilliance.  It is somewhat on par with the stupidity of Sansa marrying Ramsay, but wins out because it compresses more stupidity in a shorter timeframe and because it has so many deus ex machinas again, in a single segment.  Same with Stannis burning his daughter when he's in walking distance of WF, that was a nonsensical timeframe/logistics segment also, but didn't have so so many contrivances as this one did.  So, congrats GOT we have a winner. 

16 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

first bolded ... I just told you, in the opening scene -> the forest outside the Eastwatch, it is on the map and that map matches the one from the books.

second bolded ... Are you making the fool out of me? They show the haunted forest at every Wall scene, there are no mountains in plain vision. This ain't from the books, it's in the show as well. And they spend in those woods for quite some time in previous seasons, hell, the shows starts with the scene in 'haunted forest', not to mention Caster's keep, Mance defeat,...

third bolded, again -> they showed the map in show, in the opening scene, immediately outside Eastwatch there's forest that stretches on parallel to the wall.

The opening scene of Episode 6 doesn't have that.

You got a link to back up your claim?

16 minutes ago, Darkstream said:

You know full well that several of us in this thread think the show sucks, but still watch it. Only a complete moron would post a passive aggressive statement calling someone a moron for doing something, when they are aware that the person they are addressing fits said criteria, and not think that it is an insulting, personal attack.

Are you a complete moron?

Do you see how that works now?

So, if your not a complete moron, you should agree that you owe @Cas Stark and the rest of us morons an apology.

Asking you if you are stupid is not calling you stupid.

Asking you if you are a moron, isn't calling you a moron.

Report the post.  Maybe you can get an actual fan of the show kicked.

Just now, Lord Okra said:

The opening scene of Episode 6 doesn't have that.

You got a link to back up your claim?

The first scene of an episode, not a theme song. No, I can't link it to you as I have no idea where to get full episodes. It is a table-map, I'd say, similar to the one Danny has at Dragonstone.

9 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

The first scene of an episode, not a theme song. No, I can't link it to you as I have no idea where to get full episodes.

Wait, so it isn't on the map then?

Like I said, the show never establishes there is a haunted forest.  You cannot produce anything from in show where they have "haunted forest" written across a vast area directly north of Eastwatch.

You would need to provide something from inside a previous episode that says there is a large haunted forest directly north of Eastwatch.

Shouldn't be that difficult really.

I've watched the episode 4 times now and haven't seen "Haunted forest" written anywhere in the episode that I can recall.

You'd have to be searching HARDCORE for this "plot hole" based on being a book reader in order to ever think to make this complaint.

Link or it didn't happen.

The show never puts a vast haunted forest directly north of Eastwatch.   If it did, show it.  Give me a time stamp.  Do something to support your claim.

It isn't in the opening and I've never seen them label a forest in the show.  They may say the Kingswood but they don't put "Kingswood" in the actual scene of the forest. 

Give me a time stamp or anything from the show that declares there is a vast haunted forest just north of the wall at Eastwatch.

You made the claim, back it up.

We both know you got that from the books and it doesn't exist anywhere in the show.

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I am pretty sure you can see the forest when Dany is atop of the Wall in the last episode and that Jon and his horse emerge from that forest.

Yep, you can see some forest.  They walked through some woods.  It isn't an issue.

There is no reference to a vast haunted forest across from eastwatch in the show.  You must bring that with you from the books.

10 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I am pretty sure you can see the forest when Dany is atop of the Wall in the last episode and that Jon and his horse emerge from that forest.

It appears many times un the show. In this epi when Jo  retrns for insta ce.

2 minutes ago, Meera of Tarth said:

It appears many times un the show. In this epi when Jo  retrns for insta ce.

It is most likely the reusing of CGI wall footage.

I mean, people can complain about resuing slightly altered CGI footage if they want.

It would be a really petty complaint given the nature of TV.

I think the issue is what is shown on a map....a vast forest....and what that means for the distances based on what is shown in the segment in terms of mountains and other landscape.  Not whether it is listed as The Haunted Forest.  It is clearly a forest that is there beyond the wall in multiple episodes and on the map that the show uses.  I can't remember if Benjen in season one ever mentioned it as a 'haunted forest', maybe someone else recalls.

16 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

Wait, so it isn't on the map then?

Like I said, the show never establishes there is a haunted forest.  You cannot produce anything from in show where they have "haunted forest" written across a vast area directly north of Eastwatch.

You would need to provide something from inside a previous episode that says there is a large haunted forest directly north of Eastwatch.

Shouldn't be that difficult really.

I've watched the episode 4 times now and haven't seen "Haunted forest" written anywhere in the episode that I can recall.

You'd have to be searching HARDCORE for this "plot hole" based on being a book reader in order to ever think to make this complaint.

Link or it didn't happen.

The show never puts a vast haunted forest directly north of Eastwatch.   If it did, show it.  Give me a time stamp.  Do something to support your claim.

It isn't in the opening and I've never seen them label a forest in the show.  They may say the Kingswood but they don't put "Kingswood" in the actual scene of the forest. 

Give me a time stamp or anything from the show that declares there is a vast haunted forest just north of the wall at Eastwatch.

You made the claim, back it up.

We both know you got that from the books and it doesn't exist anywhere in the show.

For someone who constantly likes using argument "they don't have to put everything out there, we can assume stuff" you sure aren't assuming much (apologize if I mistake you for someone else, but that is a very common argument to counter those who say show did not portray well how much time has passed during wight hunt). I told you, there's a table map in scene with the forest stretching parallel to the wall, that same forest is named Haunted forest, even in the show (even if they haven't mentioned it - though I'm sure they did - the name does not matter much, it is till there, the forest). Map in the show is a map, it should relate to the actual terrain in show or not?

El guapo added about the ending scene about Jon coming out of the forest as well. And not just that, in that very same scene there is a really good view on the outside from atop of the Eastwatch -> there are no mountains on the horizon, it is just forest, a really big forest.

What more do you want? Honestly, if that's not enough evidence for you, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Archived