Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

Just now, Cron said:

Agreed.

Oh well, I've already given three "9's" and  "10" this season when grading the episodes, so who knows, maybe the season finale will allow the season to end on a strong note that will carry us all the way through our wait for Season 8.

I thought spoils of war was an excellent episode.  And at the beginning of the season it felt like this would be better than most of the last two years, but WF has been astoundingly bad and the travel and last minute save plot holes have been coming so fast and furious it's ruining the things that the show has done fairly well.

21 hours ago, Cron said:

You think you've seen teleporting?  

You think you've seen jetpacking?

Don't make me laugh.

706 just upped the ante to a whole new level, never even imagined before, I think.

While Jon & Company are confronting the Army of the Dead, Gendry is sent to run back to Eastwatch, where a raven is sent to Dany on Dragonstone, then Dany hops on a dragon, and flies all the way back and makes it in time to save the expedition to capture a wight???

Face it, friends.  Reasonable continuity in terms of travel through time and space is out the window.

Completely out the window.

I tried, i really did. I tried to understand that in order to make spectacular battle scenes and CGI dragons and direwolves, that certain sacrifices would have to be made. I even hated accepting that we were getting truncated seasons of 6-7 episodes in favor of higher quality. But all we are getting is higher quality action. NOT higher quality storylines, arc or even feasible plot points. Even allowing that its not GRRM writing anymore, the show runners have done a huge disservice to the series.  And more and more I'm thinking that spreading these last 6 episodes out over 10 episodes would have done wonders to build to the dramatic points we are now seeing, allow for real time travel (or get closer to it) and they could have ended this season with Viserion dying and it would have still blown everyone's minds. It makes me sad to think what these last 2 seasons could have been. 

30 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

That would have been amazing.  

Yeah, unfortunately, the strikes against the hunt are really adding up.

The idea, the execution of the idea, and the resolution (Dany's rescue), all seem to have more holes in them than a screen door.

5 minutes ago, Cron said:

Yeah, unfortunately, the strikes against the hunt are really adding up.

The idea, the execution of the idea, and the resolution (Dany's rescue), all seem to have more holes in them than a screen door.

The only way they could make it worse is if the zombie stops being a zombie in the 6 minute cruise to Kings Landing.  

Principle characters need to be in particular places for major plot events in GRRM's storyline.  GRRM can take a thousand pages to move the pieces around while D&D now have a limited number of episodes to do the same thing.  Thus the teleporting and moving of character to places for no apparent reason (why send Brienne to King's Landing?).  The problem is, all this exposition development is what makes GoT so good. 

I really think this show has jumped the shark.  It will be difficult to appreciate the coming set pieces knowing the BS that was thrown at is to get the players in position.

12 minutes ago, Katleesi said:

I tried, i really did. I tried to understand that in order to make spectacular battle scenes and CGI dragons and direwolves, that certain sacrifices would have to be made. I even hated accepting that we were getting truncated seasons of 6-7 episodes in favor of higher quality. But all we are getting is higher quality action. NOT higher quality storylines, arc or even feasible plot points. Even allowing that its not GRRM writing anymore, the show runners have done a huge disservice to the series.  And more and more I'm thinking that spreading these last 6 episodes out over 10 episodes would have done wonders to build to the dramatic points we are now seeing, allow for real time travel (or get closer to it) and they could have ended this season with Viserion dying and it would have still blown everyone's minds. It makes me sad to think what these last 2 seasons could have been. 

There are still a lot of things I have loved about Season 7, but it's becoming increasingly difficult to believe that, given the number of people who read the script for the Wight Hunt and related material (such as Dany's rescue), NOBODY said "Uh, hey, wait as second.  This stuff doesn't make sense.  No, really, I'm not kidding, this stuff makes NO sense!"

I wonder about stuff like this in big budget action movies a lot, too.  They can spend $150 million or $200 million on special effects, and then use those special effects on a script that's worth about 10 cents, and which a 12 year old kid could pick apart in numerous ways.

I've seen some movies that are so bad that it is simply mind-bending that they made it all the way through the production process without, I guess, ANYBODY with authority, saying "Whoa, wait, slam on the brakes!!  I just realized this makes ZERO sense!!!"

6 minutes ago, Lurid Jester said:

The only way they could make it worse is if the zombie stops being a zombie in the 6 minute cruise to Kings Landing.  

HAR!

Now that would be funny!  They get all the way to King's Landing, and discover it was all for nothing, cuz the wight, being in close proximity to the magical dragon, was reanimated as a normal human being, and is now back among the living.

Just now, Cron said:

HAR!

Now that would be funny!  They get all the way to King's Landing, and discover it was all for nothing, cuz the wight, being in close proximity to the magical dragon, was reanimated as a normal human being, and is now back among the living.

Also cersie will probably know that the NK now controls Viserion.  

Even though the only person that could possibly know would be Bran.  

8 minutes ago, Brave Ser Robin said:

Principle characters need to be in particular places for major plot events in GRRM's storyline.  GRRM can take a thousand pages to move the pieces around while D&D now have a limited number of episodes to do the same thing.  Thus the teleporting and moving of character to places for no apparent reason (why send Brienne to King's Landing?).  The problem is, all this exposition development is what makes GoT so good. 

I really think this show has jumped the shark.  It will be difficult to appreciate the coming set pieces knowing the BS that was thrown at is to get the players in position.

Perhaps it has jumped the shark. You might be right.

But I'm still hoping they can recover with a great finale next week, giving us all a really positive feeling to carry us all the way through the long winter(s) until Season 8.

3 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

Actually, I thought the most wildly unrealistic thing we've seen in Game of Thrones happened a long time ago when a bunch of medieval prostitutes were running around with fully shaved genitals and no armpit hair.

But maybe that's just me. :P

Oh, were they???

I've tried to avert my eyes in the interests of modesty and decorum.

HAR!!

58 minutes ago, nscheffel said:

In the grand scheme of things, it doesn't matter how far Gendry ran. What matters is Eastwatch is 2000+ miles from Dragonstone. The distance from the Wall to Jon is essentially nothing compared to 2000 miles.

How can Eastwatch be 2K miles from Dragonstone when the GoT Wiki says the entire length of Westeros from the Wall to the shores of Dorne is 2K miles?

Something doesn't add up.

And, if the GoT Wiki has it like that then it isn't hard for the average viewer to say hey.....it is like 1K miles from Eastwatch to Dragonston as the raven flies......and ravens are fast ya know....and dragons are like....super magic fast.......

Two days later.....

It's like people expect Spongebob narrarator to come in every seen with .....

6 weeks later.....

4 days later.....

4 weeks later.....

2 months later.....

Just let it go for your own well being.  Every time they cut to a different scene some period of time has passed.......how much......as much as it took for the freaking raven to fly down and the dragons to fly back.......that's how much time passed.

19 minutes ago, Lord Okra said:

How can Eastwatch be 2K miles from Dragonstone when the GoT Wiki says the entire length of Westeros from the Wall to the shores of Dorne is 2K miles?

Something doesn't add up.

And, if the GoT Wiki has it like that then it isn't hard for the average viewer to say hey.....it is like 1K miles from Eastwatch to Dragonston as the raven flies......and ravens are fast ya know....and dragons are like....super magic fast.......

Two days later.....

It's like people expect Spongebob narrarator to come in every seen with .....

6 weeks later.....

4 days later.....

4 weeks later.....

2 months later.....

Just let it go for your own well being.  Every time they cut to a different scene some period of time has passed.......how much......as much as it took for the freaking raven to fly down and the dragons to fly back.......that's how much time passed.

I don't think the teleportation per se is a problem. You can assume that it take x days hours or minutes to go from point A to point B. The problem is when you have all the things in context. like

Jon asked Gendryn to run to Eastwatch , which will result in a raven flying to winter fell and Dany flying dragon to East watch. 

However, just after Gendryinn started to run, Jon and the other samurais fought the wighs and were surrounded in that rock. So. However is the time that took from Gendry started to run and the Dragons arrived is the time that Jon was surrounded by zombies during a cold winter beyond the wall.  This was at least one day (despite we haven't see night even when winter gets darker faster). Thats the problem one day is too little for all the travel and more than one day is inconceivable for Jon to be surrounded by zombies.

1 hour ago, Lurid Jester said:

Also cersie will probably know that the NK now controls Viserion.  

Even though the only person that could possibly know would be Bran.  

I've heard some talk about Cersei possibly having an affair with the Night King, and joining forces with him against Jon and Dany.

Now THAT would be a twist.

The ultimate love scene, Cersei and the NK.

Wow.

The mind boggles.

17 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

I'd totally believe you did before I'd believe that women shaved themselves 2,000 years before handheld shavers and Nair. lol

Oh, is that an issue??

I didn't know, seriously.

By the way, I like your name, and find it intriguing..

Is it inspired by, or related to, Val?  I liked her a lot in the books, and was REALLY disappointed she was left out of the show (I was looking forward to seeing her, but then, there are quite a few other characters I was looking forward to seeing who were left out, too)

Or is the name your own device, unconnected to Val?

19 minutes ago, Wildling Queen said:

I'd totally believe you did before I'd believe that women shaved themselves 2,000 years before handheld shavers and Nair. lol

Little know fact:  99% of valyrian steel was used to make razors. 

Imagine the glory of blades that never dull!!

Archived