Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

2 hours ago, Cron said:

Mmmmm...pretty sure that to go from Eastwatch to Dragonstone and back, all by itself, is about a 1,000 mile round trip, maybe more.

And we don't even know how far north of Eastwatch and the Wall Jon & Company were when Dany saved them.

Did Gendry run a marathon (over 26 miles)? Two marathons back to back? Three? (Or was the Army of the Dead just lurking around a mile or two north of the wall?) Who knows?

Take a look at a map of Westeros.  Winterfell to King's Landing is 1,000 miles, one way.

From Eastwatch to Dragonstone there are about 2500 miles by the sea

If we're talking about time, did anyone notice Sansa saying it had been weeks since she'd seen Jon?

Are the writers really plotting this out so each episode takes place over about a week? So Cersei's "in a fortnight" wasn't a fluke; if it's 5 weeks for us since Jon left Winterfell, then it's 5 weeks for Sansa too? Does that mean that means between the seasons, there's 10 months where nothing happens (since the characters are still aging a year every season)?

The travel times have always been implausible and inconsistent in the show, and even in the books, but somehow it's more annoying to realize they actually have a rule they're following that guarantees implausible travel times, instead of just not paying enough attention.

2 hours ago, Cron said:

You think you've seen teleporting?  

You think you've seen jetpacking?

Don't make me laugh.

706 just upped the ante to a whole new level, never even imagined before, I think.

While Jon & Company are confronting the Army of the Dead, Gendry is sent to run back to Eastwatch, where a raven is sent to Dany on Dragonstone, then Dany hops on a dragon, and flies all the way back and makes it in time to save the expedition to capture a wight???

Face it, friends.  Reasonable continuity in terms of travel through time and space is out the window.

Completely out the window.

Maybe Bran bent space time.  Bran is a black hole sucking space time with his gravity.

well had they decided to make the tv show last 10 full seasons rather then maybe like 7 and a half, you could wrap everything up without having to rush everything and everywhere. Now...you cannot. You cant do another season 1-3. The books might need more than 2 more as well with all the plots and stuff they still have to get through.

3 hours ago, Cron said:

You think you've seen teleporting?  

You think you've seen jetpacking?

Don't make me laugh.

706 just upped the ante to a whole new level, never even imagined before, I think.

While Jon & Company are confronting the Army of the Dead, Gendry is sent to run back to Eastwatch, where a raven is sent to Dany on Dragonstone, then Dany hops on a dragon, and flies all the way back and makes it in time to save the expedition to capture a wight???

Face it, friends.  Reasonable continuity in terms of travel through time and space is out the window.

Completely out the window.

I keep saying, all this is important.  Do not underestimate it. 

Rhaegar Targaryen is the man who received visions........... and those visions led him to uncover the deepest secrets of Westeros no one knew about.

Rhaegar will be explored in Season 8 ............... how he found and re-employed the Stargaate System from ancient of days that allowed The Children and First Men to travel throughout the continent (and possibly the known world) in miliseconds. 

One of the new spinoff series of GOT will involve ancient Westeros and special Targaryen teams who used the Stargates to travel to far away places of The World of Ice and Fire ---- and that is how they learned of dragons, how to tame them, how to use and forge Valyrian steel and how to use magic.

Season 8 will reveal this Stargate system re-employed by Rhaegar and will change the whole dynamic of the show and explain everything.

I am dissapointed about the teleporting but i got used to it, i think its necessary because if the travel durations were like seasons 1 to 5 the show would end in season 999...

I think 8 seasons is the right ammount.

14 minutes ago, of man and wolf said:

well had they decided to make the tv show last 10 full seasons rather then maybe like 7 and a half, you could wrap everything up without having to rush everything and everywhere.

But then the child actors would be 3 years older by the end.

They can't just pretend the characters aren't aging even though the actors are—nobody can suspend disbelief well enough to take Isaac Hampstead Wright as a pubescent teen.

So instead, they've turned 3 years of book story into 7 years of show story. On top of aging everyone up 2 years at the start. That's already stretching things to the breaking point. Jon isn't a teenager in over his head like Robb before him, he's a man in the prime of his life. Dany can't pull off her "but a young girl" speech anymore. Arya is not a damaged young adolescent, she's a crazy young woman. Push things out another 2 or 3 years and it would get even worse.

2 minutes ago, falcotron said:

But then the child actors would be 3 years older by the end.

They can't just pretend the characters aren't aging even though the actors are—nobody can suspend disbelief well enough to take Isaac Hampstead Wright as a pubescent teen.

So instead, they've turned 3 years of book story into 7 years of show story. On top of aging everyone up 2 years at the start. That's already stretching things to the breaking point. Jon isn't a teenager in over his head like Robb before him, he's a man in the prime of his life. Dany can't pull off her "but a young girl" speech anymore. Arya is not a damaged young adolescent, she's a crazy young woman. Push things out another 2 or 3 years and it would get even worse.

Actually thats one thing the show got correct. I'm sorry, but I cant read the books and imagine a 14 year old going to war leading an army. I'm not picturing a 13 year old getting raped by the Khal. I cant picture young children in such roles and take it seriously. I age them all up in my reads.

3 hours ago, LucyMormont said:

Well, to be fair, they were  the rest of the day and the whole night up there in that rock

Take a look at a map of Westeros.

It is 1,000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing.  That is known.

The distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone looks to me to be very close to the same, and that's not counting the distance north of the wall that Gendry ran on foot (an unknown distance, but surely some miles, I would think)

3 hours ago, Henderson59 said:

At this point I think the writers are getting lazy knowing the show only has one season and is so popular.  Just throw logic out the window.  It's frustrating.

Hard to avoid that conclusion.

By the way, I've been looking at maps of Westeros, and I now believe my estimate in that post of mine you quoted was way short.

Looks to me like Eastwatch to Dragonstone alone is about 1,000 miles (one way), and that's not counting the distance Gendry ran north of the Wall.

Thus, the total trip, round way, I believe, was well over 2,000 miles.

1 hour ago, Juanis66 said:

From Eastwatch to Dragonstone there are about 2500 miles by the sea

Round trip, you mean?

Could be.

I've been looking at maps of Westeros, and now believe Eastwatch to Dragonstone is about 1,000 miles, as the raven or dragon flies (straight line, presumably)

Of course, that' doesn't count the distance that Gendry ran, though (an unknown number of miles)

41 minutes ago, Iron Mother said:

I keep saying, all this is important.  Do not underestimate it. 

Rhaegar Targaryen is the man who received visions........... and those visions led him to uncover the deepest secrets of Westeros no one knew about.

Rhaegar will be explored in Season 8 ............... how he found and re-employed the Stargaate System from ancient of days that allowed The Children and First Men to travel throughout the continent (and possibly the known world) in miliseconds. 

One of the new spinoff series of GOT will involve ancient Westeros and special Targaryen teams who used the Stargates to travel to far away places of The World of Ice and Fire ---- and that is how they learned of dragons, how to tame them, how to use and forge Valyrian steel and how to use magic.

Season 8 will reveal this Stargate system re-employed by Rhaegar and will change the whole dynamic of the show and explain everything.

Great stuff!

I would LOVE a big reveal to the effect that all of the "magic" in ASOIAF/GoT is actually misunderstood, super-advanced, technology.

I'm a big fan of stories like that, which heavily blend fantasy fiction with sci-fi.

(Indeed, I've long believed ASOIAF/GoT may be such a story, rooted in the origins of many things from Valyria, before its fall, before the Doom of Valyria)

1 hour ago, falcotron said:

If we're talking about time, did anyone notice Sansa saying it had been weeks since she'd seen Jon?

Are the writers really plotting this out so each episode takes place over about a week? So Cersei's "in a fortnight" wasn't a fluke; if it's 5 weeks for us since Jon left Winterfell, then it's 5 weeks for Sansa too? Does that mean that means between the seasons, there's 10 months where nothing happens (since the characters are still aging a year every season)?

The travel times have always been implausible and inconsistent in the show, and even in the books, but somehow it's more annoying to realize they actually have a rule they're following that guarantees implausible travel times, instead of just not paying enough attention.

Great food for thought.

By the way, I believe the travel times in the show have been implausible on many occasions, but I also believe that what we saw tonight was a whole new level.

(I think travel times are better in the books, though.  But perhaps not, I don't spend much time in the book threads, especially while the show is "in-season")

Yeah, this shit pisses me off, and the thing is, there was a way around it. Bran probably knew what was going to happen before it happened, since we know he seems to exist in different times. Bran could have invaded Dany's dreams, given her visions and premonitions so that she knew she needed to get up to the wall and save the day. Or, she could have conveniently seen a vision in the flames. Whatever. Something, anything, other than the magic raven that flies at the speed of an F-18 to Dragonstone. 

28 minutes ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

I honestly think the teleportation this episode is indefensible. It's insulting to the audience to expect us to believe it's possible after everything we've learnt about Westeros. 

The worst thing is those who didn't even notice an issue. 

I love GoT, and will be with it until the end, but I've gotta say, this was just shocking.

As you basically say, apparently no one even noticed an issue with it.

How is that possible?

Take a look at a map of Westeros.  I'd say it's got to be 1,000 miles EACH WAY from Eastwatch to Dragonstone, and that's not counting the distance Gendry ran on foot (presumably, some miles, at least)

And to this day, I have no idea why those guys went north of the Wall with no horses OR hats.  Totally inexplicable.  (At least Qhorin Halfhand had the sense to put a hat on his head.  Pretty sure Benjen wore a hat, too and he was half undead!)

Archived