Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

27 minutes ago, Pearly said:

That was probably my favorite episode of the entire season. In the grand scheme of all seasons, it probably wasn't exceptional, but next to its sisters, it was OUTSTANDING!!!

interesting.

There is a great thread here called, I believe, "Ranking the Episode Ratings," which consists of a ranking of the top episode ratings (based on polls done in each episode's "Rate the Episode" threads;  in other words, how Westeros users ranked each episode via a poll), and as I recall Episode 704 came in 10th best (I'm pretty sure the thread took into account all episodes except 707, which wasn't out yet)

I think it's a great thread (pretty sure the author listed all 10 of the top 10), and I'm hoping that the author will SOON list all 67 episodes, in order, based on rating rankings.

10 minutes ago, Cron said:

Yes, those are great nominees.  Tremendous nominees, in fast.

I guess, at the moment, my rankings would be:

1.  Dany's rescue of the Wight Hunters (starting from Gendry's run, and ending with Jon's arrival at Eastwatch on the horse).  I honestly believe this ranks Number One, for reasons discussed at great length in this thread.

2.  Jon's survival at the Battle of the Bastards.

3.  Bronn and Jaime escaping at Field of Fire 2.

4.  Arya's final battle with the Waif (This one, in fact, while superficially absurd, actually DOES have a potential explanation, if that bottle Lady Crane had contained some kind of magical healing potion.  It would be nice if that was revealed at some point.)

Don't you think Jon's survival after Daenerys & Co leave also a stretch?

4 minutes ago, Cron said:

interesting.

There is a great thread here called, I believe, "Ranking the Ratings," which consists of a ranking of the top episode ratings (based on polls done in each episode's "Rate the Episode" threads;  in other words, how Westeros users ranked each episode via a poll), and as I recall Episode 704 came in 10th best (I'm pretty sure the thread took into account all episodes except 707, which wasn't out yet)

I think it's a great thread (pretty sure the author listed all 10 of the top 10), and I'm hoping that the author will SOON list all 67 episodes, in order, based on rating rankings.

Thanks for pointing the thread out. It was either really good or like me, most people look back on the season and find it's the only episode that was not full of holes.

13 hours ago, Pearly said:

Thanks for pointing the thread out. It was either really good or like me, most people look back on the season and find it's the only episode that was not full of holes.

Could be.  Personally, I loved 704, and gave it a "10" the same night it aired.

I think a lot of it was cuz of the built up anticipation of waiting so many years for so many things that were in that episode (4 reunions, plus finally seeing Dany and a dragon in battle in Westeros and, as expected, she crushed her enemies)

13 hours ago, Pearly said:

Don't you think Jon's survival after Daenerys & Co leave also a stretch?

Oh, definitely!

Which is why, in that post above, for No. 1, I mentioned the entire thing, from the start of Gendry's run all the way until Jon arrived at Eastwatch on the horse.

My goodness, he somehow survived the freezing water (after being under for so long that all his companions were gone when he surfaced) escaped the area (even though it was crawling with undead), then rode about 350 to 400 miles soaking wet with freezing cold water in sub-zero temperatures, and somehow survived.

Now that's some REAL high quality plot armor.

8 hours ago, Noble Lothar Frey said:

Jon will be a wight in the books, if he comes back.   A wight could survive the icy water dip and 15 minutes without breathing. 

I don't know if that is certain yet. The hints in the books point to Jon warning to Ghost so we don't really know how he'll come back yet. However, in the show, he's not a wight and therefore, shouldn't be able to survive under these conditions. 

20 hours ago, Cron said:

Oh, definitely!

Which is why, in that post above, for No. 1, I mentioned the entire thing, from the start of Gendry's run all the way until Jon arrived at Eastwatch on the horse.

My goodness, he somehow survived the freezing water (after being under for so long that all his companions were gone when he surfaced) escaped the area (even though it was crawling with undead), then rode about 350 to 400 miles soaking wet with freezing cold water in sub-zero temperatures, and somehow survived.

Now that's some REAL high quality plot armor.

Yes. It seems like some people in the show this season are simply unkillable. I thought Arya last season was a one-off thing, but apparently, she was only the beginning. 

15 hours ago, Pearly said:

Yes. It seems like some people in the show this season are simply unkillable. I thought Arya last season was a one-off thing, but apparently, she was only the beginning. 

And, ironically enough, this is the exact opposite of part of what made GRRM's books so great in the first place: The main characters DIDN'T have plot armor. They COULD die, and they DID (most notably Ned, Cat and Robb), and that's a huge part of what made the story so realistic.

I read the books years before Season One aired, and I was QUITE surprised when Ned died, and stunned when I read the Red Wedding.  (In fact, I was so shocked by the Red Wedding I went back and read it twice more just to make sure I had not misunderstood what happened)B

But those days are gone.  Now the main characters have plot armor as thick as the A-Team's (Ever seen that old t.v. show?  Holy cow.  It was very popular, and it had entertaining moments, but WOW did those characters have plot armor!)

Some people tell me that GoT had always been your generic cliche high fantasy, and that it was the show that fooled people into consuming fantasy. Who knew they were right? 

A long while ago (years) I put down fantasy books. So tired I was with the genre that it prompted me to start writing my own. I stopped briefly because people told me I HAD to give eregon a try (yes I was that desperate. Needless to say I began writing harder. 

Then I hear about this series called A Game of Thrones. I picked it up shortly after season 3, and I binge watched. I then purchased the books. This was it. This was the story I craved. 

Then something happened. I couldn't make it through book 4. No matter. I have the show. Sure some things have changed, but the heart if the story was the same. Heroes could actually die and you really feared for them. 

Then came the recent seasons. 

Waifenator 1000 became a meme. All good right? Every show stumbled at least once. Then came season 7. 

As if to spit in my face all season, episode 7 comes through and is so generic that I thought I was watching a Disney show. They even went as far as to add in several no name red shirts so you could kill people off without touching the main guys. The second I noticed those meat bags I knew they would die and all the main guys were safe. Then they did their epic stand, the night King decides to aim for the farthest dragon... And it's all just so dumb I can't even get into it. 

D&D don't care anymore (or did they ever) they know the general viewer will eat this up and the ones who pay close attention will watch just to see how it all ends. They win this round. Grats. But after this I will NEVER watch a thing they have a hand in writing. NEVER. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Hi, with all of these replies I apologize for not reading them all.  That was a ridiculous episode, and one of the reasons I think so is where did all those WW's get the chains to drag the dragon from the lake?? :blink:

I do have questions, though.  Does anyone else think that the NK looks like a Thenn?  Do people think that the three, including the NK are a different species than the other wrights?  Did they turn all of them?  I also wonder how the babies who were turned would every grow up?  Seems odd to me...

Thoughts?  Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Byfort of Corfe said:

So a 700 foot high Ice Wall held together by magic seems realistic?

that is a false equivalency. Just because a massive wall of ice is held together by ancient magic does not equal the feat of of Gendry running hundreds of miles back to the wall in winter time without keeling over dead then a raven traveling thousands of miles and then Dany receiving said raven's message and then flying to the lake where Jon and the Losers were hanging out at all within 24-36 hours without Jon and his company freezing to death. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/24/2018 at 11:53 AM, The Golden Wolf said:

that is a false equivalency. Just because a massive wall of ice is held together by ancient magic does not equal the feat of of Gendry running hundreds of miles back to the wall in winter time without keeling over dead then a raven traveling thousands of miles and then Dany receiving said raven's message and then flying to the lake where Jon and the Losers were hanging out at all within 24-36 hours without Jon and his company freezing to death. 

I agree - magic is established in Planetos. It was far fetched. Impossibly so. I hope the books don't do all that crap. I am confident they will not.

• 4 months later...

This episode would have been perfectly believable if, instead of an island in a lake, they just had them hold up in an abandoned Night's Watch fort for 3-5 days.  They could have destroyed the draw bridge, or something, and then the army of the dead could drag trees there to get across (or any number of ideas they could have easily come up with to create the suspense of the army breaching the walls over a period of several days).

This is an obvious enough solution that I agree the writers were just looking for the easiest to film, quickest way, around the problem.  All they needed for this version was a fake rock and a green screen.  Very cheap to film.

On 8/27/2017 at 7:27 PM, Cron said:

Absolutely correct, in fact many of those estimates are conservative (which is fine and fair)

And look at a map of that area of land.  It goes NORTHWEST, not straight north.  If they went straight north from Eastwatch, they would end up in Hardhome, then the sea.

This means that the distances involved are well in excess of 150 miles from Eastwatch to where Viserion died.  If you picture a right triangle with one leg being the Wall (from Eastwatch to Castle Black, which is about 150 miles) then the hypotenuse (from Eastwatch to where Viserion died) is even MORE ("a squared plus b squared equals c squared," the Pythagorean theorem)

This means Gendry ran somewhere between 150 and 300 miles, according to known maps and known distances

(Indeed, it's POSSIBLE Gendry's run was even further, AND that the round trip between Eastwatch and Dragonstone was roughly 4,000 miles).

But he rowed to KL for two seasons. He can do it. 

Archived