Okay, NOW Have We Seen The Most Wildly Unrealistic Thing Ever on GoT???

4 hours ago, Allardyce said:

I didn't even bother to rate this episode.  That's how I feel about the useless death of Viserion. 

Useless? 

What did the Children teach us about creating a sentient weapon? They turn on you.

We have an other season - no idea how many hours total - to fill. It needs to be more complicated than just blasting the Night King now that he's The Target. 

The other question is - is it a Wight or a Walker. We've been shown that wights don't need to be touched from Hardhome. We saw the baby become a Walker in season... 4? 5? ...can't remember.

Visereon got touched. Maybe he wasn't all the way dead? 

I ask because of Bran. He probably can't worg a dead thing. But if Visereon wasn't all the way dead yet - because.... I don't know, dragon science? Bran might could worg him. Bran could worg Hodor because Hodor's mind was passive, so he can't likely worg any other humans or Walkers. 

Just a thought. Bran has to be used in some huge way still, other than just telling everyone who Jon really is.... right? 

Whatever it is, I don't think it's useless, and it's fun to think about what may go down.

4 minutes ago, ShadowKitteh said:

Useless? 

What did the Children teach us about creating a sentient weapon? They turn on you.

We have an other season - no idea how many hours total - to fill. It needs to be more complicated than just blasting the Night King now that he's The Target. 

The other question is - is it a Wight or a Walker. We've been shown that wights don't need to be touched from Hardhome. We saw the baby become a Walker in season... 4? 5? ...can't remember.

Visereon got touched. Maybe he wasn't all the way dead? 

I ask because of Bran. He probably can't worg a dead thing. But if Visereon wasn't all the way dead yet - because.... I don't know, dragon science? Bran might could worg him. Bran could worg Hodor because Hodor's mind was passive, so he can't likely worg any other humans or Walkers. 

Just a thought. Bran has to be used in some huge way still, other than just telling everyone who Jon really is.... right? 

Whatever it is, I don't think it's useless, and it's fun to think about what may go down.

I think the above poster meant useless from the perspective of Team Dany/Jon. They lost a dragon and gained what? 4 of the Magnificent Seven and a zombie? Pfft. 

19 minutes ago, Cron said:

And while you are not the only one to speculate that perhaps the NK was stalling, waiting for Dany, note that the Army of the Dead did NOT attack when Dany arrived, they attacked BEFORE she arrived, when they realized the ice had frozen.  In fact, immediately after realizing the ice had frozen, it looked to me.

Agreed, but that's because it wouldn't have been as Awesome for Dany to swoop in while they were just sitting there. They had to be saved at the last possible moment for the sake of drama. 

That happened to Jon twice this episode, actually. Game of Thrones *really* loves this gimmick. 

The sad thing is how easy it would have been to avoid questions about the timeframe. So many options:

1. Drop the Wight Hunt altogether. (I know we should take it for granted for the purpose of this discussion, but it's such a bad idea I have to state the obvious.) 

2. Have Dany fly to see the Army of the Dead herself, and grab a zombie while she's there. 

3. Have Bran's mind rays inform Dany that Johnny-baby is in trouble instead of a raven. 

4. Have Dany simply sense the Fellowship might be imperiled. 

5. Have Dany waiting at Eastwatch instead of Dragonstone for whatever reason. 

That's just off the top of my head. 

25 minutes ago, Cron said:

Conclusion, in my opinion:  It is easy for me to imagine that caravan averaging a solid 30 to 40 miles per day.  In fact, if they only travelled 8 to 10 hours per day, that is basically a casual walking pace of only about 5 miles per hour or less.   But they were on, and/or had, horses.

The constraint is the speed of the wagons, not a fast party on horseback.

20-30 miles a day looks more historically realistic

http://writemedieval.livejournal.com/4706.html

7 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

I remember how immensely slow the traveling seemed in the season one. King Baratheon arrived in Winterfell. It seemed like a twice per lifetime journey.

Yes, indeed.  In fact, the distance and travel time were so great that, as I recall, Ned and Robert had not seen each other in 9 years, even though they were best friends.

7 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

Now it seems that the kids from the Wall can study in Kings Landing and visit their parents weekly. :D

HAR!  Good one!

5 hours ago, Henderson59 said:

At this point I think the writers are getting lazy knowing the show only has one season and is so popular.  Just throw logic out the window.  It's frustrating.

That seems a bit unfair. They're not lazy, as they've done an impressive job adapting the books in the first four to five seasons.

They need to wrap things up - as eight years is still a very long time. For some of the younger actors that's almost a third to half their lives.

Writing an end to the story is probably hard, which is why Martin has failed to do so. He at least has the luxury of waiting it out - HBO does not.

1 hour ago, Cron said:

Take a look at a map of Westeros.

It is 1,000 miles from Winterfell to King's Landing.  That is known.

The distance between Eastwatch and Dragonstone looks to me to be very close to the same, and that's not counting the distance north of the wall that Gendry ran on foot (an unknown distance, but surely some miles, I would think)

Yes, I know it has no sense. But so many things don't have any sense now! I mean, this whole wight hunt was the most incredible moronic idea, I'm so pissed off and disappointed for what the poor writing is doing to the characters, that I don't have energy left to waste with the teleporting thing.

4 minutes ago, darmody said:

The sad thing is how easy it would have been to avoid questions about the timeframe. So many options:

1. Drop the Wight Hunt altogether. (I know we should take it for granted for the purpose of this discussion, but it's such a bad idea I have to state the obvious.) 

2. Have Dany fly to see the Army of the Dead herself, and grab a zombie while she's there. 

3. Have Bran's mind rays inform Dany that Johnny-baby is in trouble instead of a raven. 

4. Have Dany simply sense the Fellowship might be imperiled. 

5. Have Dany waiting at Eastwatch instead of Dragonstone for whatever reason. 

That's just off the top of my head. 

All good stuff.

I felt this season was going VERY well, until we hit the "Hunt for the Wight" part.

And my sense is that a LOT of people agree, for a list of reasons that is already quite long, yet still growing.

So, they go on a hunt for a wight, and leave the dragons, the horses, and even their HATS, all at home???

What???

3 minutes ago, LucyMormont said:

Yes, I know it has no sense. But so many things don't have any sense now! I mean, this whole wight hunt was the most incredible moronic idea, I'm so pissed off and disappointed for what the poor writing is doing to the characters, that I don't have energy left to waste with the teleporting thing.

Well, at least there HAS been some good stuff this season.

Heck, I rated Ep. 704 a "10" just two weeks ago.

Perhaps the season can finish on another really high note in 6 days.

If so, perhaps we can all put the "Hunt for the Wight" behind us for good.

12 minutes ago, Obsidian Knight said:

I remember how immensely slow the traveling seemed in the season one. King Baratheon arrived in Winterfell. It seemed like a twice per lifetime journey.

Now it seems that the kids from the Wall can study in Kings Landing and visit their parents weekly. :D

The month it takes them to get to Winterfell happens within 30 minutes in the 1st episode. I got the impression the reason it took so long was because of the Queen's Wheelhouse. It seemed it took Cat & Roderick less time to get to KL.

I'm glad I'm not that bothered. 

The first joke is, that Gendry is the fasted guy in the group or a good runner anyway. He is supposed to have worked the last years as a blacksmith (after some years of rowing of course). I can hardly see him moving by feet at all. He is supposed to have super strong arms. He is trained the complete opposite of a marathon runner. 

3 hours ago, falcotron said:

If we're talking about time, did anyone notice Sansa saying it had been weeks since she'd seen Jon?

Are the writers really plotting this out so each episode takes place over about a week? So Cersei's "in a fortnight" wasn't a fluke; if it's 5 weeks for us since Jon left Winterfell, then it's 5 weeks for Sansa too? Does that mean that means between the seasons, there's 10 months where nothing happens (since the characters are still aging a year every season)?

The travel times have always been implausible and inconsistent in the show, and even in the books, but somehow it's more annoying to realize they actually have a rule they're following that guarantees implausible travel times, instead of just not paying enough attention.

In regards to the Sansa not hearing from Jon in weeks, I'm going to assume that last correspondence wasn't Jon telling her that he was actually returning North to go on a ranging expedition to obtain a wright. But....why? Why not relay this information to his allies there, particularly his all-seeing omniscient brother (Jon was adopted basically so Bran is still his brother) who even relayed this information to them in the 1st place to spark them to go on this expedition? 

So dumb this all is. 

Would have been very easy to make this believable:

1. Have a tree on the rock in the center of the lake. Let our heroes light a fire and show the tree getting smaller and smaller as the branches are burned to show passage of time. At the end the tree will be gone.

2. The white walkers should arrive very late - just before the lake freezes.

3. Do not make Gendry run a marathon. Rather show Bran's crows flying above the wights and landing on the tree - giving our heroes some hope. Send a raven from Winterfell.

1 hour ago, Hodor's Aunt said:

The first joke is, that Gendry is the fasted guy in the group or a good runner anyway. He is supposed to have worked the last years as a blacksmith (after some years of rowing of course). I can hardly see him moving by feet at all. He is supposed to have super strong arms. He is trained the complete opposite of a marathon runner. 

Gendry is the runner by default. Jon is Jon. The Hound and Tormund weigh like 400lbs. a piece. The others could be 65 years-old for all I know. Topknot probably had liver disease. 

1 hour ago, Lost Time said:

In regards to the Sansa not hearing from Jon in weeks, I'm going to assume that last correspondence wasn't Jon telling her that he was actually returning North to go on a ranging expedition to obtain a wright. But....why? Why not relay this information to his allies there

To be fair, half the people who've heard about this mission have insisted on joining it. No idea why, but given that track record, would you tell Winterfell about it? You'd probably end up with Sansa Stark and Lyanna Mormont in the party. Or Littlefinger.

Archived