The Wall is now just a physical barrier.

tysen

Just now, Pandean said:

Didn't wights come through the Wall in the first season?

I wonder if there's a difference between carrying them through willingly or them going through themselves....

Or it could be lazy writing.

My understanding is that the wight was 'raised' after it passed the wall.

3 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

I think not raised but re-animated. Meaning it had been raised. Kind of slept and re-animated. It kinds of like those Wights that jumped off the cliff at Hardholme and then kind of slept a while and then re-animated.

There is nothing in the show (or books that I recall) that specifically mentions Wight's not being able to pass thorough the magical barrier. The only time I remember the magical barrier having any effect was when it let Sam through based on him being a Night's Watchmen sworn to the Old Gods.

I'm thinking it is far more logical the wall was meant to stop humans going north than anything magical coming south.

6 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

That could be it....

Is there reference to the Wall having the runes and stuff carved in or no?

3 hours ago, tysen said:

This episode proved that the magical barrier has been broken.  They should not have been able to carry the wight through it, yet there he is on the boat.  Bran really fucked everyone over...

To be fair we dont actually know if there is magic or not. Benjen cant pass because he believes there was magic and ancient spells woven into its foundations thus creating a magical shield. Did he try to pass, no, so we dont actually know.

We dont actually know how the magic works if there is any......

The wights we see re animated in castle black were reactivated when the got to castle black. They had to be wights before though as Sam clearly points out there is no smell from them so must have been turned straight away. If the White Walker ''unwarged them then ''rewarged'' them when they got into castle black, could be an explanation. Also another explanation would be that anything that ''isnt allowed through'' i.e. WW and AotD, can actually come through if they are ''invited''

Also we dont really know how the mark on Bran has affected other things, obviously it broke the magic of the cave but is that it....???  

The doors carved by the NW after the first defeat of the NK are not protected by magic and are weak points.

At the time of rule of the NK, the magical Black Gate in Nightfort was most likely the only way through the Wall and it is still protected by magic.

2 hours ago, Nerevanin said:

Imo, the Wall is a barrier against WW and NK, not wights.

That's my understanding as well.  Of course, we have yet to see if it's still an effective barrier against them. 

The wall still has magic in it as far as we are aware and it does stop the WW/NK and the dead from passing.

Benjen stark so kindly tells us

''Ancient spells were carved into its foundation. Strong magic. To protect men from what lies beyond. And while it stands, the dead cannot pass. I cannot pass.”

So the wights in season 1 were either brought in by ''invitation'' or they were deactivated and the reactivated after passing.

My understanding is that the Others/Wights cannot move through it on their own, but can be "carried" through.  It's sort of like in Lord of the Rings when the Ring was a huge weight to whomever carried it, but when Sam carried Frodo he did not also have the extra burden of the Ring (which he was expecting).

I don't think the wall is going to hold up now that the NK has a dragon. He will fly right over it. And it makes me wonder, like with the 3ER's cave, if the act of him doing so will break whatever magic is protecting the wall. 

It also makes me wonder if this same sort of thing plays out each time the dead rise...That someone comes along with a dragon, providing them an easy way past each time. 

Well, come to think of it, of some examples. The 13th lord commander, The Night King did fell in love with a woman for which it is safe to assume she was a white walker. He also chased her, caught her, gave her his seed and brought her back to Nighfort (through the wall) from where they reigned for 13 years. When he was overthrown, a connection with 'The Others' was discovered. So you could say that walkers can come through the wall? By invitation as many of you suggests or other means it is unknown. Though invitation being the highest probable cause.

Still, Benjen could get an invite, right? I mean... But let's say he didn't know that, what bothers me the most (ever since the cave incident), is that I don't see any connection between 'being invited' and touching someone. I just don't.

2 hours ago, tysen said:

Ahhhh, ok.  I assumed it was the same type of barrier that protected the Three-Eyed Raven's cave that was dispelled after Bran got marked by the Night King. 

OK, that's wierd. If we admit that only wights can enter, the only (?) explanation I can think of why the wights didn't attack the cave before is that NK was waiting for Bran so he could capture him for a reason. Does it make sense?

40 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

Well, come to think of it, of some examples. The 13th lord commander, The Night King did fell in love with a woman for which it is safe to assume she was a white walker. He also chased her, caught her, gave her his seed and brought her back to Nighfort (through the wall) from where they reigned for 13 years. When he was overthrown, a connection with 'The Others' was discovered. So you could say that walkers can come through the wall? By invitation as many of you suggests or other means it is unknown. Though invitation being the highest probable cause.

In theory yes but we dont know how it works.....

Im hoping this will be adressed later in the show, exactly how the magic works. 

This is were I believe the WW actually built the wall.

40 minutes ago, plastic throne said:

Still, Benjen could get an invite, right? I mean... But let's say he didn't know that, what bothers me the most (ever since the cave incident), is that I don't see any connection between 'being invited' and touching someone. I just don't.

Yeah doesnt make sense really......but im hoping this will be addressed.

There is no connection between them. 

We can only speculate what the magic is doing/stopping (if any), why benjen didnt try cross, why affect the mark had on Bran.

Until season 7 finale concludes there are certainly a few plot lines I wouldnt want to predict.....but I think we will have a better idea after episode 7.

Archived