Bran: Why didn't they just give him this season off?

Fredwin

Has there ever been a less interesting prophet or oracle type character outside of the Matrix in all modern media?

Remember those cool scenes last season involving Hodor and young Ned? Remember when Jojen died finding the cave?

Bran is just a completely broken character that plays no current role in the plot.

I get that he's no longer completely or even partially Bran, but that should make him a more interesting character, not less. How do you mess that up?

If they had only cut Bran's poorly written dialogue this season they could have had a longer sequence of scab cutting.

Isn't that what they're doing? Giving him the season off, I mean. They clearly have no idea what to do with him, yet they seemingly need him to be there for some as-yet unknown thing to happen. So they stuck him in a chair with some sort of complete disconnect from reality (he's like a World of Warcraft addict after a new expansion) and hope everyone will forget about him until the opportune moment.

5 hours ago, pinoyathletics said:

Almost certain now that Bran is the Night King.

I'm not buying it, though. Why would Bran be the Night King and not Brynden Rivers? Because he was touched in a dream? Because he didn't finish his training? His physical body almost died in that cave, are you suggesting his underlings arranged that? The Night King was shown dismissing Bran when warging ravens and that was all from Bran's PoV, was it not? 

38 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

I'm not buying it, though. Why would Bran be the Night King and not Brynden Rivers?

Yeah I'm not seeing it either. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not seeing a lot, or any, points in favour of it, really. I don't doubt they're connected somehow, but more along the lines of eternal enemies (life/death) than as one and the same. If anything, it's the complete failure to utilize Bran in a meaningful way this season that paves the way for that kinda thing.

I think the theory is that Bran goes back to try and stop the Children making the Night King and wargs into him getting stuck there or something.

Way the show is going, I think it will use some simple plot point like that to explain the NK. I was hoping for something way more complicated, that tied all the magical elements together somehow - a kind of wow! So that is how the world works! But I think neither GRRM or the show-runners have that level of detail plotted.

This video points out that the arrowhead mountain the Hound led them to is the same mountain where the Children made the NK

23 minutes ago, Mikkel said:

Yeah I'm not seeing it either. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I'm not seeing a lot, or any, points in favour of it, really. I don't doubt they're connected somehow, but more along the lines of eternal enemies (life/death) than as one and the same. If anything, it's the complete failure to utilize Bran in a meaningful way this season that paves the way for that kinda thing.

I just can't connect the dots. The children of the forest are shown dying to protect Bran and the Three-eyed-raven. This season they are shown fighting(poorly) the White Walkers alongside humans. Speaking of which, another wasted opportunity that could have been shown through Bran's dreams instead of cave drawings.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that Bran could somehow be the Night King, it would just make so little sense. 

When they cut Bran from season five, we were thinking it's fine, because Bran is where he's supposed to be in the story and the next time we see him, awesome stuff is going to happen. How vital he is to the plot moving forward, etc.

Nah, right? The way they are using Bran so far could be written off any other way. He's the Night King? Fine, than show him doing something ambiguously evil or it's already just redundant. There already is a Night King. He's eventually going to warg a dragon? Give the dragon another rider. He's going to be the end of the Night King? Let Jon do it.

There's just no reason to keep Bran kicking around and wasting space. Literally any plot point he could be involved in right now could be re-written to exclude him. 

If he was absolutely so vital to the plot give him the tinest of arcs, the only real scene he gets this season is stolen by Meera anyhow, more power to her.

11 minutes ago, ummester said:

I think the theory is that Bran goes back to try and stop the Children making the Night King and wargs into him getting stuck there or something.

They lost the opportunity to already do that. Why? Because Bran has already lost his humanity. He is no longer just Bran so there is no emotional impact to having him be trapped in the Night King. Also, insane Lostian paradoxes. They already pushed what I hope is the limit with Hodor and young Ned.

49 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

They lost the opportunity to already do that. Why? Because Bran has already lost his humanity. He is no longer just Bran so there is no emotional impact to having him be trapped in the Night King. Also, insane Lostian paradoxes. They already pushed what I hope is the limit with Hodor and young Ned.

Unless he is already trapped in the NK and that is why he appears to have lost his humanity. I didn't really buy this theory but, oddly, reading your rebuttals of it makes me think it is possible.

53 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

I just can't connect the dots. The children of the forest are shown dying to protect Bran and the Three-eyed-raven. This season they are shown fighting(poorly) the White Walkers alongside humans. Speaking of which, another wasted opportunity that could have been shown through Bran's dreams instead of cave drawings.

Perhaps the children protected them just long enough for Bran to get the power to become the NK?

When Bran asks Leaf who she needed to protect herself from she says 'From you' massive dramatic pause 'from men'. It's entirely possible that Leaf knew Bran was going to end up warging into her victim when she made the NK.

53 minutes ago, Fredwin said:

Nah, right? The way they are using Bran so far could be written off any other way. He's the Night King? Fine, than show him doing something ambiguously evil or it's already just redundant. There already is a Night King. He's eventually going to warg a dragon? Give the dragon another rider. He's going to be the end of the Night King? Let Jon do it.

Your assuming the NK is evil. He's just an environmental protection agency, right? On a mission to protect the wiernet from deforestation. Bran can't walk and needs the weirnet to fly - he actually has common interest with the NK already, protecting those white trees.

Oh and after this episode, Bran flying is obvious if he is the NK. He has a dragon now. Everyone thought it was Bran warging a dragon - when it could actually be Bran permanently warged into a dragonrider.

It would mainly make sense for the symbolics of a circle. Sommer-Winter-Sommer... Life-Death... The snake bites its tail.

And it would be a "bittersweet ending": All the story, all events happening because of one schizophrenic guy who directs the ways of the world. All other people just played by him in his fight against himself, going through several stages, never to reach an end.

BUT: What about the other gods in Game of Thrones? The lord of light exist, there's magic, it cannot all be Bran/the NK's doing?!

4 minutes ago, Ice C said:

BUT: What about the other gods in Game of Thrones? The lord of light exist, there's magic, it cannot all be Bran/the NK's doing?!

In essence, yes.

Everything anyone sees in the fire is what the 3 eyed raven sees - they are getting fuzzy wiernet transmissions. And the only reason people can be reanimated south of the wall is due to residual power of what is north of the wall.

There is no Red God. There is only one god and his name is death - and what do we say to death? Not today.

The NK has beaten death for 8,000 years, having said 'not today' better than anyone and spreading magic across Westeros.

1 hour ago, Ice C said:

It would mainly make sense for the symbolics of a circle. Sommer-Winter-Sommer... Life-Death... The snake bites its tail.

And it would be a "bittersweet ending": All the story, all events happening because of one schizophrenic guy who directs the ways of the world. All other people just played by him in his fight against himself, going through several stages, never to reach an end.

It's something GRRM might be able to pull off.

The issue being, if Bran is not the NK in tv-showland. He's poorly written. If he is the NK, he's written even worse.

9 hours ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Agreed....

Bran is definitely the Night King. Bran is the main reason why the NK is attacking.

What's the theory behind this?

Not disagreeing or anything, but is there a good place to read up on this theory?

1 minute ago, btfu806 said:

What's the theory behind this?

Not disagreeing or anything, but is there a good place to read up on this theory?

Ive done a thread on it before, and there is plenty on google/youtube.

It basically suggests Bran is stuck in a time loop and he goes back to stop the creation of the NK by warging into him, only to be ''drowned'' and stuck in his body hence becoming the NK. This means he is stuck behind the wall he built in a future life and is waiting for himself to be born.

3 minutes ago, Samwell_Tarly said:

Ive done a thread on it before, and there is plenty on google/youtube.

It basically suggests Bran is stuck in a time loop and he goes back to stop the creation of the NK by warging into him, only to be ''drowned'' and stuck in his body hence becoming the NK. This means he is stuck behind the wall he built in a future life and is waiting for himself to be born.

Ahhh OK interesting, thanks! I will check it out.

Archived