Jon and Daeneris

Hoo

7 minutes ago, lakin1013 said:

When I read about Jon and Dany, it was so obvious that I thought it actually was something else.  It just seemed like he had used this hide in plain sight technique so often, that with Jon and Dany, he was subverting the obvious and planning something really surprising.  Such in not the case :-(

I'm hoping GRRM will not take the obvious route that D&D appear to be taking.

My only hope for D&D is that they'll take the Luke and Leia route or possibly the Night King as Jon's father - and could be the same.  Neither has been ruled out on the show.  And no other possibilities for Jon's father make sense as far as the show is concerned because the show has barely mentioned Arthur Dayne, Ned's brother Brandon etc. while the Night King has been front and center as the perfect Dark Father character.  He's gotten way more screen time than Rhaegar.

The show has eliminated the book chatter about baby-swapping and has instead given us Samwell falling for a woman who was already bearing a child.  And if I'm right that Sam is actually Aegon VI, we could parallel Rhaegar falling for Lyanna who was already bearing a child - or two.

2 hours ago, The Prince who was not pro said:

The romance Jon / Daenerys is not believable, is forced, bored, Jon has more chemistry with sansa than with Daenerys, even jon has more chemistry with Drogon than with Daenerys.

In fact even the "romance" of Brienne and Tormund is more believable.

Well chemistry is indeed a very subjective thing. There are many who agree with you and many who don't

1 hour ago, Commander Jon Snow said:

Well chemistry is indeed a very subjective thing. There are many who agree with you and many who don't

Obviously it's subjective, but I think the reality is somewhere between the two of you.

The actors really don't have that much on-screen chemistry.

But at the same time, we've got two attractive young single people, who just went through a hugely intense life-or-death situation and a major tragedy, who still have good reason to worry they could die in the near future, after spending weeks with each other and with an advisor on each side playing hardcore wingman, and who haven't had any action in a long time and don't have any other prospects. Anyone who finds it forced or unbelievable that they might have sex either hasn't met anyone over the age of puberty, or is watching through so much hate for one of the two characters that they can't think straight.

I personally think that Kit and Emilia have very good chemistry.
They are also good friends irl as well, so the whole "actors hate each other"-argument is thrown out the window instantly.

I have a long post pending approval in the general (got)-section where I explain why I think that their relation is neither rushed, forced or fanservice.

Edit: finally; 

25 minutes ago, falcotron said:

But at the same time, we've got two attractive young single people, who just went through a hugely intense life-or-death situation and a major tragedy, who still have good reason to worry they could die in the near future, after spending weeks with each other and with an advisor on each side playing hardcore wingman, and who haven't had any action in a long time and don't have any other prospects. Anyone who finds it forced or unbelievable that they might have sex either hasn't met anyone over the age of puberty, or is watching through so much hate for one of the two characters that they can't think straight.

Exactly this. The folks that say it's too obvious or too easy are way off base. As a man who basically does nothing but solve problems for a living I can tell you that contrary to popular belief, the easiest, most obvious answer usually is the correct one. Not everything is a trick question. Folks that complain they want more realism in the show might as well accept this little tryst 'cuz Jon & Dany is prob'ly happening. Only 2 ways it doesn't, one of them dies or someone freaks over the the aunt/nephew thing. My guess is they're rolling in the sheets before either of those things can occur, that would at least be the most realistic thing.

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

I strongly disagree

Any reason for why you don't like them as a couple?

I won't even bother reading that thread. 

The reason why I don't like them as a couple is that their romance is a cliche. The absolute perfect male protagonist and the absolute perfect female protagonist get together and live happily ever after. What's more cliche and boring than that? They are basically the male and female version of the same character, the inspirational, revolutionary, invincible, undying, willful, attractive young leader who was chosen by their followers to lead. 

There's nothing remotely interesting, entertaining or endearing about their relationship, they were both ten times more interesting, entertaining and endearing with their previous partners, which is partly a writing and partly an acting issue. Their relationship could have been made interesting if they both knew about Jon's parentage or Jon was willing to discuss his resurrection or even if their exchanges had some intensity in terms of acting. 

1 hour ago, MinscS2 said:

I strongly disagree

Any reason for why you don't like them as a couple?

The reason why I don't like them as a couple is that their romance is a cliche. The absolute perfect male protagonist and the absolute perfect female protagonist get together and live happily ever after. What's more cliche and boring than that? They are basically the male and female version of the same character, the inspirational, revolutionary, invincible, undying, willful, attractive young leader who was chosen by their followers to lead. 

There's nothing remotely interesting, entertaining or endearing about their relationship, they were both ten times more interesting, entertaining and endearing with their previous partners, which is partly a writing and partly an acting issue. Their relationship could have been made interesting if 

2 minutes ago, greensleeves said:

I gotta say that I think this 'romance' puts a big ol' target on Dany's back. I think her odds of surviving season 8 are about the same as the Night King's... maybe less.

It's possible she'll die birthing some kinda horrible magic baby :stillsick:

That would be the best thing that could happen to this "romance" 

minus the horrible magic baby. 

3 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

There's nothing remotely interesting, entertaining or endearing about their relationship, they were both ten times more interesting, entertaining and endearing with their previous partners, which is partly a writing and partly an acting issue. Their relationship could have been made interesting if they both knew about Jon's parentage or Jon was willing to discuss his resurrection or even if their exchanges had some intensity in terms of acting. 

I sincerely doubt the bit I emphasized, since I doubt there will be much of "live happily ever after" for any character. It will be probably 100th time I am telling this, but, personally, I prefer Luke-Leia scenario (those even kissed before they found out that they're a brother and a sister).

What won't be a cliche? Daenarys and Tyrion? Her first marriage and relationship was too much a cliche as well - from the bit "being sold as a political tool" to "finally falling in love with her savage husband"- personally, for me it was a huge cliche. Nobody complained then.

11 hours ago, falcotron said:

The actors really don't have that much on-screen chemistry.

You've just shown where the problem is: we don't feel involved in their love story, so we must imagine it by rationally thinking about the context they are living in. It shouldn't be like that. 

The same is true for Jaime and Cersei. From the beginning of the show it has been established that they love each other. We recorded it and now we give it for granted. However, even if we see them having sex very often, I haven't seen a single scene with the two characters which made me say "there is really an emotional connection between them" 

14 minutes ago, Gala said:

What won't be a cliche? Daenarys and Tyrion? Her first marriage and relationship was too much a cliche as well - from the bit "being sold as a political tool" to "finally falling in love with her savage husband"- personally, for me it was a huge cliche. Nobody complained then.

I did. Actually, I feel like saying quiet confidently that the showrunners are not good in writing love stories in general

20 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

There's nothing remotely interesting, entertaining or endearing about their relationship, they were both ten times more interesting, entertaining and endearing with their previous partners, which is partly a writing and partly an acting issue. Their relationship could have been made interesting if... 

Exactly. I'd say that the problem was not much the cliche by itself, but rather the lack of interesting things to tell each other. 

44 minutes ago, RhaenysB said:

There's nothing remotely interesting, entertaining or endearing about their relationship, they were both ten times more interesting, entertaining and endearing with their previous partners, which is partly a writing and partly an acting issue. Their relationship could have been made interesting if 

This times 10. I think it's bad because they are rushing it and Kit/Emilia lack genuine chemistry.  TPTB should have taken a little more time developing this relationship. 

55 minutes ago, Gala said:

I sincerely doubt the bit I emphasized, since I doubt there will be much of "live happily ever after" for any character. It will be probably 100th time I am telling this, but, personally, I prefer Luke-Leia scenario (those even kissed before they found out that they're a brother and a sister).

As I said before, either of their (preferably Daenerys') deaths would be the one way for this romance to redeem itself. 

Yeah, that was a cliche too, but it was interesting, captivating, endearing (which I admit is a question of personal preference), better acted and above all, developed both of them as characters. This romance didn't develop either Jon or Daenerys in any way, they didn't find out anything interesting about themselves or each other, they didn't grow, they didn't expand their mind or world. (And no, realizing there's another war aside from her own isn't a character development, it's a plot development) Rose/Kit chemistry and Jason/Emilia chemistry far exceeded Kit/Emilia chemistry.  

34 minutes ago, 3sm1r said:

I did. Actually, I feel like saying quiet confidently that the showrunners are not good in writing love stories in general

Exactly. I'd say that the problem was not much the cliche by itself, but rather the lack of interesting things to tell each other. 

Yeah, that's what I said above. I have no problem with a cliche if it's delivered in an intersting or captivating way in any regard.  This wasn't. And it was especially lame that it was always Davos or Jorah, who brought feeling to the Jon/Daenerys scenes. Davos made their first meeting funny, Jorah's return (and escape of death) delivered for the scene discussing Jon's escape of death... and their chemistry is basically established by Davos and Tyrion's saying that Jon checked out Daenerys's covered cleveage . Which he didn't. Or maybe he did? Off camera? 

After reading all these comments I'm starting to believe I'm wrong thinking there is a romance! And I only started to believe in their romance after reading the previous episode comments... I have to stop reading! Fortunately they have already filmed it and it doesn't matter what I think. All I have to do is watch...

Archived