Why Can't Daenerys Have Children?

Iron Mother

Was this ever explained?  I know she keeps saying she will not have children..... then that went to "cannot" have children.  OTHER THAN FROM THE BOOKS, was this ever explained?  Because the show is now a totally different thing from the books.  We must accept that.  We can't look to the books anymore for some of the answers we seek.

Is it just her belief she cannot have children?  I remember once she said something like "I will never have any more children.  Not until the sun sets in the East and rises in the West".  That was in like season 2?  So is it just her belief?  How does she know?

1 hour ago, Iron Mother said:

Was this ever explained?  I know she keeps saying she will not have children..... then that went to "cannot" have children.  OTHER THAN FROM THE BOOKS, was this ever explained?  Because the show is now a totally different thing from the books.  We must accept that.  We can't look to the books anymore for some of the answers we seek.

Is it just her belief she cannot have children?  I remember once she said something like "I will never have any more children.  Not until the sun sets in the East and rises in the West".  That was in like season 2?  So is it just her belief?  How does she know?

I think she may have heard it from Mirri in the show just not on screen for us....maybe she has no uterus. Maybe the fetus was taken from her by c-section and Mirri took her both baby and uterus????

Maybe that dead rotted dragon baby polluted her insides too. Deems like an exchange took place. The dead dragon in the egg magically swapped places with Rhaego. It was said that the baby was dead with worms and had been dead for like 100 years. Sounds like the dead thing inside that 100 year old egg. Then Rhaego in return was put inside the dragon in the egg...only death can pay for life.

Also the baby was all scaly and had wings...sounds like that would fuck a uterus up

4 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

I think she may have heard it from Mirri in the show just not on screen for us....maybe she has no uterus. Maybe the fetus was taken from her by c-section and Mirri took her both baby and uterus????

I love the idea of the C-section.

But gah. Planetos style C-section. Nuh uh.

2 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Maybe that dead rotted dragon baby polluted her insides too. Deems like an exchange took place. The dead dragon in the egg magically swapped places with Rhaego. It was said that the baby was dead with worms and had been dead for like 100 years. Sounds like the dead thing inside that 100 year old egg. Then Rhaego in return was put inside the dragon in the egg...only death can pay for life.

Also the baby was all scaly and had wings...sounds like that would fuck a uterus up

yea, this - any baby crawling with worms could not have been good for the uterus it came from. It's lucky Dany didn't die of infection.

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

I love the idea of the C-section.

But gah. Planetos style C-section. Nuh uh.

Hey it could happen. Mirri was friends and learned her art from Marwyn the mage straight out the Citidel. They know how to open the human body there. Maybe she saw fit to take the uterus and the baby to be sure that Dany never had a child again. So she would be correct in saying when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.....NEVER LOL

1 minute ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Hey it could happen. Mirri was friends and learned her art from Marwyn the mage straight out the Citidel. They know how to open the human body there. Maybe she saw fit to take the uterus and the baby to be sure that Dany never had a child again. So she would be correct in saying when the sun rises in the west and sets in the east.....NEVER LOL

I think it could definitely happen.

I was more shuddering at the idea of having a c-section done in a world where modern medicine goes as far as poultices and scraping off infected skin and spooning out the infection.

And I just had a terrible flashback to when I got my planter warts taken out omg

2 minutes ago, ummester said:

Oh, as a side note - what is the bet that Jon somehow magic's her womb back into action though, with his super special cousin sperm.

Ugh magic cos sperm. Just nasty..more like nephew sperm. Even worse. There is nothing okay about fucking family. Lmao. Not a father, cousin, not a brother and not a damn nephew. Make WESTEROS great again stop the fucking incest.

Just now, The Bastard of Summer said:

Ugh magic cos sperm. Just nasty..more like nephew sperm. Even worse. There is nothing okay about fucking family. Lmao. Not a father, cousin, not a brother and not a damn nephew. Make WESTEROS great again stop the fucking incest.

That makes me wonder, due to incest, how many Targs had trouble with having babies....

1 minute ago, Pandean said:

And I just had a terrible flashback to when I got my planter warts taken out omg

Thank you for that vomit inducing image! 

Also what i ant from the show but wont happen. If Dany and Jon do end up fucking next episode or in the near future. Once he discovers his mama and daddy's identities. I hope he breaks things off with Dany. I hope becuase Ned was his father (he fucking raised him it's his kid) he tells Dany where i come from we don't fuck family. You might be Okay with it but I'm not. What we did can never happen again. The North does NOT fuck immediate family. Far and distant maybe. But never immediate. He won't just accept being a Targaryen and their culture just because that what gene pool he comes from. Jon Snow is Ned Starks boy by through and through.

I think she believes she can't have children because of what Mirri did to her. 

But the show version of the HotU says she will. 

They've been beating the "Dany Can't Get Pregnant" drum all season, extra-hard. So of course she'll have a baby - with a love north of the Wall, that means Jon to me.

It also told us she will reach for the Iron Throne, but never touch it, and there was Snow on the Iron Throne - falling through a burned out Red Keep. 

so..... I think -

• Dragons destroy Kings Landing. 
  • Winter goes all the way south.
  • The Iron Throne itself isn't important.

....or everyone is dead, and Dany is in the Night Lands. 

...and we get the Hound/Tormund spinoff.... pleeeeease!

4 minutes ago, Pandean said:

That makes me wonder, due to incest, how many Targs had trouble with having babies....

There is a video by Preston Jacobs that I think offers a reasonable explanation for how Targ dragon hatching magic works, based on mendelian genetics. It's possible that the dragon hatching gene is very dangerous when it mixes with reproductive systems that don't have it.

Personally, I have a theory that Targs were genetic freaks created in Asshai, specifically for the purpose of bonding with dragon kind.

8 minutes ago, Pandean said:

I so bet 100,000,000,000,000 gold dragons that, that was Maegor the cruels problem. He couldn't produce children because of his parents incest. I think most of the incestuous Inbred Targaryens were just fucking lucky to have kids. Especially Jahaerys I and Alassayne. Look how weak and sickly lots of them were. And when they "outbreeded" the offspring was strong snd robust.

6 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

Thank you for that vomit inducing image! 

Also what i ant from the show but wont happen. If Dany and Jon do end up fucking next episode or in the near future. Once he discovers his mama and daddy's identities. I hope he breaks things off with Dany. I hope becuase Ned was his father (he fucking raised him it's his kid) he tells Dany where i come from we don't fuck family. You might be Okay with it but I'm not. What we did can never happen again. The North does NOT fuck immediate family. Far and distant maybe. But never immediate. He won't just accept being a Targaryen and their culture just because that what gene pool he comes from. Jon Snow is Ned Starks boy by through and through.

You were the one who made me think it in the first place! :P

Yeah, I hope they do that with Jon. I can see him angst about his parentage and then Sansa and Arya smack some sense into him saying that he was raised by Ned, as their brother, he's their family so shut up and stop whining. 

But yes oh yes please no more incest.

Also that includes Jon and Arya or Jon and Sansa. Please.

I believe if they fuck, Dany will have Jon's baby, though. They've been heavy handing it waaay too much for it not to be happening.

And of course Jon will angst.

13 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

It's legal to marry your cousin. Aunt/Nephew is the same degree of distance away from immediate family. 

It's certainly not sharing a womb.

2 minutes ago, The Bastard of Summer said:

I so bet 100,000,000,000,000 gold dragons that, that was Maegor the cruels problem. He couldn't produce children because of his parents incest. I think most of the incestuous Inbred Targaryens were just fucking lucky to have kids. Especially Jahaerys I and Alassayne. Look how weak and sickly lots of them were. And when they "outbreeded" the offspring was strong snd robust.

Targaryen logic:

WE MUST KEEP THE LINE PURE

oh wait the kids come out better and less crazed with parents who aren't siblings

OH WELL 

Targaryens! The original eugenicists. 

1 minute ago, ShadowKitteh said:

It's legal to marry your cousin. Aunt/Nephew is the same degree of distance away from immediate family. 

It's certainly not sharing a womb.

I mean, you can technically marry a certain generation of cousin in real life.

And in Westeros it is legal.

Not that it works out very well.

I mean, Tywin and Joanna were first cousins....

They had Jamie and Cersei, two quite messed up individuals who ended up in a relationship and producing Joffrey, Tommen, and Myrcella (Myrcella being the only reasonable one with Joff's insanity and Tommen's softness--I always thought show!Tommen was a bit soft in the head, anyway)

And Tyrion who is a disfigured dwarf

Not the best track record....

Archived